Windows 10: How to learn what keystroke combinatios do?

Discus and support How to learn what keystroke combinatios do? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My HP desktop requires that the Fn key be held for the "normal" function keys to work. However, Alt + F4 (to close Windows or an active app) seems also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Grandpa Jim, Oct 6, 2019.

1. How to learn what keystroke combinatios do?

My HP desktop requires that the Fn key be held for the "normal" function keys to work.
    However, Alt + F4 (to close Windows or an active app) seems also to be affected. It only works when the Fn key is held.
    Here's my problem. If I press Alt + F4 without Fn, nothing appears to happen. But I have no way of knowing what that key combination is actually doing.
    My hope is that there is some way that I can "test" all keystroke combinations to see what actions they are assigned to--and maybe even to "reassign" them.
    Is that a forlorn hope?

:)

Grandpa Jim, Oct 6, 2019

2. Win 10 keystrokes go bonkers

when I hit one key sometimes it drops down a list to select from

sometimes it takes 2 keystrokes then just hangs

if I persist in trying Win 10 logs off and I have to log on again.

maybe the keystroke autocompletion feature?

Need help. My Win 10 system is now unusable until I resolve this issur.

Using a second PC to enter this problem description.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks/

smartalecktexan, Oct 6, 2019
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    windows search not recognizing keystrokes

Hi Alan,

In order for us to assist you regarding the issue on your “search windows,” that won’t recognize any keystrokes.
    You can follow these steps:

Method 1: End Cortana's process

Ending Cortana's process in Task Manager might just do the trick. After ending the process, it will automatically restart almost immediately.

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • Click Cortana. You might have to scroll down a bit to find it.
    • Click End Task.
    For instance, that the above-mentioned troubleshooting steps failed to work you can try the next step.

Method 2: Restart Windows Explorer

Another quick fix attempt, restarting Windows Explorer might jump-start the taskbar search into working again.

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • Click Windows Explorer. It's located near the bottom of the Task Manager menu.
    • Click Restart.

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Oct 6, 2019
  4. How to learn what keystroke combinatios do?

Learning method

Trial and error is always the best, but you need to get an idea of what you need to do in order to use trial and error. I would start out with tutorials, and maybe a textbook for reference.

All the methods you listed are great ways to learn. Each person learns differently than the other. The individual that is trying to learn needs to figure out which learning method is best suited for them, and they can figure that out with trial and error with the methods you listed. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

How to learn what keystroke combinatios do?

1. How to learn what keystroke combinatios do? - Similar Threads - learn keystroke combinatios

2. is there a way to "reset" what copilot has "learned"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there a way to "reset" what copilot has "learned": I just wrote this as a reply to a user's concern but wondered if you know how to reset it?[quote]Mine was a little different: I do like that it admits that it is Bing. Cortana -> Bing -> copilot – different names for the same thing. Maybe slightly advanced in phraseology. The...
  3. How do I disable on screen keystrokes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable on screen keystrokes?: I’m not sure what combination of buttons were pressed by my son but I have a Corsair K65 mini keyboard for my gaming pc and he pressed some buttons now every key I press on the keyboard shows on the screen at the bottom. Looking to figure out how to disable this as it is very...
  4. How do I disable on screen keystrokes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I disable on screen keystrokes?: I’m not sure what combination of buttons were pressed by my son but I have a Corsair K65 mini keyboard for my gaming pc and he pressed some buttons now every key I press on the keyboard shows on the screen at the bottom. Looking to figure out how to disable this as it is very...
  5. How do I disable on screen keystrokes?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. What are the language learning program for Windows?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are the language learning program for Windows?: I know only of Rosetta Stone, are there others? 152591
  7. how do I learn windows 10 easily?

in Windows 10 Support
    how do I learn windows 10 easily?: Hello, I am new to windows and am having a rough time understanding it. Are the any websites you can recommend for me. Thank you kindly. Bill 147765
  8. Keystrokes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keystrokes: Re: Keystrokes I have a sound when I hit a key on my keyboard, cannot backspace more than 1 space & unable to type 2 identical letters or add 2 spaces together. This happens on the keyboard whether I am using Word, Excel, Internet, etc. I do not think that I did...
  9. How to learn what keystroke combinations do?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to learn what keystroke combinations do?: My HP desktop requires that the Fn key be held for the "normal" function keys to work. However, Alt + F4 (to close Windows or an active app) seems also to be affected. It only works when the Fn key is held. Here's my problem. If I press Alt + F4 without Fn, nothing appears to...
  10. Keystrokes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keystrokes: When I tap Uppercase 2, which according to the keyboard should give @, I get " Conversely when I tap Uppercase ', which according to the keyboard should give ", I get @. How can I fix this problem? (I am not aware of any other similar problems on my keyboard)....