Windows 10: how to let my standard account flush the DNS

Discus and support how to let my standard account flush the DNS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just had an internet connectivity problem after I had to reset my cable modem, and I did a quick "ipconfig /flushdns" while signed in as a standard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SlickRCBD, Feb 25, 2020.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

how to let my standard account flush the DNS

I just had an internet connectivity problem after I had to reset my cable modem, and I did a quick "ipconfig /flushdns" while signed in as a standard user.

It told me that the command required elevation.

I could have sworn that I've used that command many times with my standard account. Obviously some update has restricted that to administrators in the name of security.

I'm using Windows 10 professional, is there any way to give my standard account the access to use "ipconfig /flushdns"? I know it works just fine with a limited account in XP, and I'm certain it works fine with a standard account in Vista and 7.

I just don't know which of the many, many security settings to alter to give myself access to the command. Especially for a new restriction. Searching the forum and in general with Bing just tells me to run the command prompt as an administrator or set up a shortcut set to run as an administrator and put in the password. I've got too many years just typing "ipconfig /flushdns" to be hassled putting in a password.

Also, my mother has surgery and is staying with me. She might call me at work if the computer is not working, and she is not very computer literate. If I need to tell her to do that, I am NOT giving her the admin password. She caused too many problems with installing malware back when I was still in school with Windows 98SE back in the day. Any time a web site told her she needed to install this software/plug-in, she'd do it and then I'd have to clean up the mess, sometimes requiring me to erase the hard drive and restore from backup to get that crapware out, which was an all-day affair and took me weeks to get all my settings back the way I liked it.

So I'd want to let a standard user do that and only that as part of troubleshooting over the phone when I'm at work as I don't trust them with admin rights.

:)

SlickRCBD, Feb 25, 2020
  2. Darshan J Win User

flush dns

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in response.

No, Flush DNS will not reset the IP to default. It only flushes or resets the

contents of the DNS client resolver cache.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further

assistance.

Thank you.

Darshan J, Feb 25, 2020
  3. JBigbrew Win User
    DNS Repeated flushing required

Just after my last post I followed a suggestion and changed the DNS settings to

and it seems to have worked!

I have had no cause to flush the DNS in the last 24 hours. I even shut down and rebooted several times, tried three different browsers and followed dozens of page links.

So fingers crossed this post can be closed, I just wish I could give a definitive answer to the problem.

Many thanks to all for your time and suggestions.

Brew

JBigbrew, Feb 25, 2020
  4. how to let my standard account flush the DNS

DNS flush, what is it and is it necessary

Considering his suggestions and the new law, which allows ISP to sell your browsing data, I guess he tries to improve your privacy. To sum it up, you could use non-ISP DNS via dnscrypt (so DNS requests will be encrypted) and CCleaner (it cleans history and flushes DNS cache) and that is just for starters.

Top 10 Best Public DNS Servers & Fastest DNS Servers 2017

TairikuOkami, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

how to let my standard account flush the DNS

1. how to let my standard account flush the DNS - Similar Threads - let standard account

2. Ethernet wont work after i flushed my DNS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet wont work after i flushed my DNS: So i was looking up some solutions on how to fix lag spikes on the game Lethal Company and found an article with some solutions, i used the following method:Here’s how to clear DNS cache?Click on the Windows start icon in the bottom left corner.Then press the Windows key +...
  3. Flush DNS Cache Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...
  4. Flush DNS Cache Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...
  5. cannot flush dns HP windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot flush dns HP windows 10: have tried cmd prompt flushdns but displaydns still show a large filehave tried powershell alsohave stopped reboot/start reboot dnsclient with regedithave gone to each browser and cleared dns.cannot find any large file for dns on hard drivecannot find anything else to try.ALL...
  6. Shortcut to flush DNS Cache

Shortcut to flush DNS Cache: I am trying to create a shortcut to flush my DNS cache to avoid having to open the command prompt and enter the ipconfig command each time. I have seen two methods to supposedly do this. In the first method, I create a batch file with the ipconfig.exe /flushdns command, save...
  7. Flush DNS Cache

Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  8. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Support
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  9. DNS flush, what is it and is it necessary

in Browsers and Email
    DNS flush, what is it and is it necessary: I just installed Chrome on my laptop (which I'm now using) and a friend told me I needed to defrag and do a DNS flush by writing in cmd ipconfigflushdns. Defrag is already done, but his instructions were to go to the Windows tab and search bar at the bottom to type in this...
  10. Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10: How to: Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 How to Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 [img] Information A DNS (Domain Name System) resolver cache is a temporary database, maintained by Windows, that contains records of all your recent visits and attempted...