Windows 10: How to let Windows Defender scan manually?

Discus and support How to let Windows Defender scan manually? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, Having recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I had a question about using Windows Defender. I've come to understand that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RFrost, Aug 16, 2015.

1. RFrost Win User

How to let Windows Defender scan manually?

Hello,

Having recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I had a question about using Windows Defender.

I've come to understand that Windows Defender automatically scans in the background every now and then. However, one of the many joys of Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 for me was that I could manually scan any documents, items, and whatnot from external sources (e.g. files downloaded from the internet or copied from a USB-Sticks) before opening it. To do this manually on Windows 7 with Microsoft Security Essentials, one would right-click on the document and run a scan. To my understanding, Windows Defender on Windows 10 does not offer this option.

When looking for a way to make this part of the drop-down menu when you right-click a file, and when searching the web I came across this website: How to Add to the Context Menu in Windows 8

I know it's not intended for Windows 10, but I figured that since all the Folders were in the same place I would give it a go.

After following the instructions and restarting my laptop I found that in the drop-down menu when you right-click a folder, it now shows that I can scan with Windows Defender, which is great! [see following image]:

How to let Windows Defender scan manually? [​IMG]

Yet, when I click on Windows Defender, I get the following error:

I presume this means I have done something wrong in the command However, I cannot for the life of me figure out what that would be.

Also interesting to note is the following:

As you can infer from the last image, I can now only scan 'Folders' but not 'Files' per se (e.g. docs, images, tried as many as I could find).

Any ideas on what I might have done wrong? And maybe more importantly, any advice on how to get Windows Defender to run manually?

Any help in these regards would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

:)

RFrost, Aug 16, 2015
  2. Mary Sau Win User

i cannot un install chromium

That is a possible malware which auto-installs on your computer. You can get rid of it by scheduling a scan using your antivirus software, or by using Windows defender. You can follow the steps on how to schedule a scan on Windows Defender

here

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Mary Sau, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Ruizell Rey, Aug 16, 2015
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Borg 386, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 16, 2015
  6. RFrost Win User
    That only allows me to have a shortcut to Windows Defender if I right-click on my desktop. A very nice feature as well, but as described in my post, what I was looking for instead was a way to seperatly scan files with Windows Defender (so right-clicking on a specific file and having it scanned as Microsoft Security Essentials allowed).

Any neat little trick in order to have that done?

RFrost, Aug 16, 2015
  7. RFrost Win User
    @Brink

That looks more like something I was looking for! I'm gonna check it out and see if it works, thanks!

RFrost, Aug 16, 2015
  8. RFrost Win User

@Brink
    That did the trick, many thanks! Too bad that it runs in a 'Command' window but at least now I can scan files seperatly *Smile
    I wonder why Microsoft decided to scrap that feature from Windows Defender though...

Still, many, many thanks!

RFrost, Aug 16, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad that it'll work for you.

Yeah, it would be nice if Windows Defender had a native scan with WD context menu like it did in MSE.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to let Windows Defender scan manually? - Similar Threads - let Defender scan

2. Windows Defending scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defending scanning: When it comes to scanning results and scan options, they don't exactly match with what actually has been done.For example, I was scanning a map share last night on my was from Windows 10 over wi-fi connection, the scan took all night, and since it was over map share it was a...
  3. How to manually run a defender scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to manually run a defender scan: We have HP labtop with windows 10s.We know nothing about computers.My husband somehow clicked on something that he should not have.Now we keep getting pop ups from kakstitotako. Under security it says no action needed.Clearly something is wrong. I can not find any way to...
  4. windows defender scan?

windows defender scan?: hello everyone I am trying to scan but the scan does not start and does not scan[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-scan/d932227a-f161-4867-a89c-b559d1441f0e
  5. how to schedule windows defender scan

how to schedule windows defender scan: How can I schedule a windows defender scan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-schedule-windows-defender-scan/1751ff45-23df-4e9e-ba79-2a46a16b7abd
  6. Manually Updating Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Manually Updating Windows Defender?: I've had two blue screen errors recently with the stop code "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL." I was told that this was related to Windows Defender and that it may need an update, or may need to be reinstalled. However, when I try to check for updates, what has happened multiple times...
  7. How to schedule Windows defender scan?

How to schedule Windows defender scan?: How to schedule Windows defender scan? It says Search for and open Schedule tasks. Where do I have to search? I found nothing. Do I search in C, windows,...
  8. Windows Defender Likes to Manually Scan Twice

Windows Defender Likes to Manually Scan Twice: Guys, Ever since I have had Windows Defender on my Windows 8.1 laptop, most of the time after it completes a scan, it starts to scan again. There was some malware that it found and cleaned on a full scan, and I have also run Scandisk and System File Checker. Windows...
  9. How to abort a scan of Windows Defender

How to abort a scan of Windows Defender: Hi, I accidentally initiated a scan in Windows Defender Security Center, and it has brought my system down onto its knees. How can I abort the scan? I have too many unfinished and half-finished things open -- so I don't want to force a restart. I'm using Windows 10...
  10. windows defender is not scanning

windows defender is not scanning: that shows a notification that group or resource is not in state https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/windows-defender-is-not-scanning/e77931e3-9d2d-402b-9172-11787928475d