Windows 10: How to liberate my Documents folder from OneDrive?

Discus and support How to liberate my Documents folder from OneDrive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I installed Windows 10, OneDrive was installed by default. I have a SSD and larger disk storage, so I changed the location of my Documents folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by trippap, Aug 8, 2019.

1. trippap Win User

How to liberate my Documents folder from OneDrive?

When I installed Windows 10, OneDrive was installed by default. I have a SSD and larger disk storage, so I changed the location of my Documents folder to the disk, which put it into OneDrive's control. I'm now trying to go back to having user folders such as Desktop and Documents in my user profile folder on the system (CHow to liberate my Documents folder from OneDrive? :) drive. I have moved everything out of the OneDrive folder that got put on my D: drive except an empty Documents folder, the only one that has a Location tab. If I try to change Location back to default, I receive the error message that it can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. There is no Documents folder in my user profile on C:, and there are no files in the Documents folder in the OneDrive folder. I don't know what "same location" refers to. The profile folder? How can I get a movable documents folder back into my user profile folder?

:)

trippap, Aug 8, 2019

2. Why I have TWO Documents folders?

ok so lemme start off my saying i recently wiped my system and installed windows 10
    and i noticed even more recently that i seem to have TWO documents folders...
    i have one that has nothing that it should in it and the other somehow is linked to Onedrive...
    the onedrive linked one has everything that the non onedrive should. (game saves, etc)
    my question is...why? is this normal cause i can't imagine it is...
    i don't think steam game save cloud will work with onedrive so i need to know, is this fixable WITHOUT another wipe? i have no idea how my onedrive got synced with my documents folder. i didn't set it up that way. any help is appreciated!
    thanks!

TheMatt1984, Aug 8, 2019
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Micah Bat Win User

Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Since the only folder that has incorrect file path is the Documents folder under This PC, we would suggest you do the same steps provided above. However, do it in your Documents folder under This PC. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click This PC
    • Right-click on Documents
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location
    • Click Restore Default
    • Click Apply
    • Click OK
    Also, we would like to inform you that "winhelponline.com" is not associated with Microsoft.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

1. How to liberate my Documents folder from OneDrive? - Similar Threads - liberate Documents folder

2. How do I unsync a folder in my documents from OneDrive???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I unsync a folder in my documents from OneDrive???: I can’t have onedrive messing up my sims 2 saves because it desires to upload everything for no reason.I just want to make it so that my sims 2 folder cannot be messed with by Onedrive. And please, do not tell me to go to my account and “choose folders” because that just...
  3. How do I unsync a folder in my documents from OneDrive???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I unsync a folder in my documents from OneDrive???: I can’t have onedrive messing up my sims 2 saves because it desires to upload everything for no reason.I just want to make it so that my sims 2 folder cannot be messed with by Onedrive. And please, do not tell me to go to my account and “choose folders” because that just...
  4. How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?: I recently got a new laptop and when I was setting it up, I chose the option to backup Documents and a couple of other folders to OneDrive. I assumed that this would merely copy the files to the cloud, but apparently it actually replaces the local Documents folder entirely....
  5. How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?: I recently got a new laptop and when I was setting it up, I chose the option to backup Documents and a couple of other folders to OneDrive. I assumed that this would merely copy the files to the cloud, but apparently it actually replaces the local Documents folder entirely....
  6. How to remove Documents folder from OneDrive when OneDrive is full?

7. Stop onedrive from Syncing my Documents folder!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop onedrive from Syncing my Documents folder!: I have Installed FF14 from steam onto my External drive and have tried to install the games Launcher onto my external drive as well but Windows insists on choosing its default as my Onedrive Documents folder and I can't move it. I cannot access the Settings at all when...
  8. Stop onedrive from Syncing my Documents folder!

Stop onedrive from Syncing my Documents folder!: I have Installed FF14 from steam onto my External drive and have tried to install the games Launcher onto my external drive as well but Windows insists on choosing its default as my Onedrive Documents folder and I can't move it. I cannot access the Settings at all when...
  9. My Documents is on OneDrive folder

My Documents is on OneDrive folder: I didn't know why but my Documents folder is on OneDrive. So when I save something on Documents, my OneDrive will automatically sync. I found that this results in more storage used, so if I have a 50mb file, it takes up space both in my computer and OneDrive. When I try to...
  10. Unlink my Documents folder from OneDrive

Unlink my Documents folder from OneDrive: I recently reinstalled Windows and installed OneDrive, but did not launch it until yesterday. When I did I noticed that a large number of files were uploading - these were saved games, config files etc. from games saved in my Documents folder. As far as I have been able to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to liberate the document on one drive setting

2. how to libarate my documents folder from onedrive

3. one drive and sage 50 accounting trouble logging