Windows 10: How to link 2 Windows PCs directly via WiFi?

Discus and support How to link 2 Windows PCs directly via WiFi? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Intro: Microsoft have deprecated Homegroup and Ad Hoc network creation abilities such as netsh wlan set hostednetwork by telling router... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ponderosaa, Feb 15, 2020.

1. How to link 2 Windows PCs directly via WiFi?

Intro:

Microsoft have deprecated Homegroup and Ad Hoc network creation abilities such as

netsh wlan set hostednetwork

by telling router manufacturers to remove this ability re: Windows 10 'upgrades' and implementing routers incapable of this in their devices such as the Surface Pro 7 with Intel router I'm using.

So I can no longer simply create hostednetwork in a few seconds and share a folder via wifi.. but intel who blame Microsoft say thatWiFi Direct is the replacement.

This would be absolutely great.. if there was some easily available basic documentation of how this works in practice! After hours of searching, I have no idea how to share folders using WiFi Direct. There seems to be an information black hole after MS + company removed hostednetwork so I can easily share files wirelessly between laptops withoutan additional 3rd / external router or internet connection. If the information is there it's hidden in the leaves when I search for WiFi Direct folder sharing etc.

Here is my query:

How do I create a device to device WiFi network between 2Windows 10 laptops that I can use to share folders v large given set hostednetwork has been removed? WiFi Direct? Both machines have internalWiFi Direct routers.

By device to device I mean directly - not via an additional router or using an internet connection.

What I am not asking for:

• How to create a WiFi Hotspot.
    • How to create a network via an external router.
    • How to create a network via ethernet
    • How to transfer files via bluetooth.
    • How to upload to onedrive etc.
    • How to send a single file.
    • How to use now deprecated removed methods such as homegroup and hostednetwork.

Thank you

There will be many users who relied upon the now deprecated ad hoc / hostednetwork who are unsure of how to implement the WiFi Direct replacement of that folder sharing behavior of simply creating device to device network and implementing a folder share ..WiFi Direct which ironically was advocated as a replacement due to supposedly being much easier!

Many thanks for clearing this issue up.

:)

Ponderosaa, Feb 15, 2020
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Windows 10 - WIFI 2 - Cant connect

Hi
    Myamara,

It is possible that your drivers are outdated or the connection itself has the issue. We suggest that you perform
    these methods of troubleshooting
    and check if there are any changes:

Method 1: Reset TCP/IP

To do this, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Run
      this command:

• netsh int ip reset
        and hit
        Enter.

Exit
    Command Prompt
    and
    monitor your WiFi connection.

Method 2: Disable auto turn-off of WiFi device.

Go to
    Network and Sharing Center. At the
    right pane, click
    Change adapter settings.
    Right-click
    on your
    connection name(WiFi name)
    and go to
    Properties.Click
    the
    "Configure..."
    button and go to
    Power Management
    tab.Uncheck/disable
    the
    radio button
    for
    "Allow this device to turn off this device to save power". And then,
    Restart the PC(Important).

Method 3: Reconfigure TCP/IP

To do this, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Run
      these following commands:

• netsh int tcp set heuristics
        disabled

• netsh int tcp
        set global autotuninglevel=disabled

• netsh int tcp set global
        rss=enabled

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 15, 2020
  3. swarfega Win User
    Mafia 2 freezing at start of game on Windows 10

You could try follow this guide. However I dont suggest you install the PC fixer program they link to. Just follow the steps below.

swarfega, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

How to link 2 Windows PCs directly via WiFi?

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

How to link 2 Windows PCs directly via WiFi?

1. How to link 2 Windows PCs directly via WiFi? - Similar Threads - link PCs directly

2. Link 2 Win11 PCs and sync lock and power options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Link 2 Win11 PCs and sync lock and power options: I have a desktop and a laptop both running windows 11. Laptop has BT and WIFI capability, the desktop has neither. They are both connected to a router via ethernet connection. The concept I have in mind is to use dynamic lock on my laptop but set it up to control both...
  3. Link 2 Win11 PCs and sync lock and power options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Link 2 Win11 PCs and sync lock and power options: I have a desktop and a laptop both running windows 11. Laptop has BT and WIFI capability, the desktop has neither. They are both connected to a router via ethernet connection. The concept I have in mind is to use dynamic lock on my laptop but set it up to control both...
  4. Syncing 'My Documents' across 2 remote PCs via onedrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Syncing 'My Documents' across 2 remote PCs via onedrive?: I can't figure out how to do this:I have a w10 PC at one location, with a windows account, and a separate onedrive account that has 1tb storage through a school MS account. I am logged into the school onedrive account, and the PC's My Documents folder is backed up through the...
  5. Syncing 'My Documents' across 2 remote PCs via onedrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Syncing 'My Documents' across 2 remote PCs via onedrive?: I can't figure out how to do this:I have a w10 PC at one location, with a windows account, and a separate onedrive account that has 1tb storage through a school MS account. I am logged into the school onedrive account, and the PC's My Documents folder is backed up through the...
  6. Syncing 'My Documents' across 2 remote PCs via onedrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Wifi direct

Wifi direct: I'm trying to connect to my 65 inch LG TV UJ6300 with my lenovo V570. I can't seem to get it to connect except by hdmi only. Laptop says I don't support miracast. So I finally got it to show in the list for wifi direct on the TV. Yet when I click it nothing happens just keeps...
  8. 2 networks 2 PCs

2 networks 2 PCs: Hii. I have 2 networks in my work place one is for PCs and the other for Machine , this one for machines has an IP cam connected to it now i need to access this cam from PCs on the first network , you have to know that the second pc for machine is connected to the first...
  9. Wifi Direct

Wifi Direct: I want to use wifi direct to move images from a Sony A6000 camera to my PC running W10. Is this possible or can it only be done on mobile devices? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-direct/8ae5cda8-26c0-4459-9e62-a23dec3f0769
  10. wifi direct

wifi direct: how do i activate wifi direct on windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-direct/a6cf58fd-93a3-4c61-8996-8225dac29a84