Windows 10: How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account

Discus and support How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a very weird scenario and the only thing I can think of is that Microsoft released an update which screwed this all up. Here's my scenario: I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Btrains, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Btrains Win User

How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account

I have a very weird scenario and the only thing I can think of is that Microsoft released an update which screwed this all up. Here's my scenario: I have two laptops that I causally use for specific tasks. One of them I just picked up, while the other I've had for a few years. Both are running 10 Pro, with the older laptop on 21H1 and the newer one on 20H1. The older laptop: Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 that came with Windows 8.1 on it. Originally shipped with 7 Pro. I immediately upgraded this laptop to 10 Pro in 2019 when I purchased it. I have a singular local account on this laptop, named User, and I have my Microsoft account logged in for One Drive and to have my Windows Activation tied to my account. My local account, User, has no password. When I boot up or wake up from Sleep, two taps on the space bar and I'm ready to work. This is how I want this computer set up and ready to go. No problems here. When I go to Settings, my name, MS email, and "My Microsoft Account" appear in the top left corner, and when I go to the Accounts Tab > Your Info, it says User, my email address, and Administrator. Under the Activation tab, it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account." This computer has one local Administrator account that is connected to the MS Cloud. The newer laptop: Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 that came with Win 10 on it. Originally built for 7 Pro as well. This laptop had a 2021 copy of 10 Pro installed on it by the refurbisher (20H1 to be exact). It was not connected to any MS accounts. It has a singular local account on it, named Owner. Because it is only a Local Account, I do not have access to One Drive and the computer says "Windows is activated with a digital license." In settings, the top left says Owner, Local Account, Sign In. Under the Accounts Tab > Your info, it says Owner, Local Account, Administrator. Then it has some information about connecting a Microsoft account and a link to sign in. Upon signing in, I enter my user name and password for the MS account, then it asks for the password for Owner, which is blank. Then it forces me to make a PIN. Once I complete these steps, my computer's name becomes my name, and I am required to use Windows Hello via PIN or Password to log into my computer. Additionally, if I am not connected to a network, I am unable to log in to my computer. Since I use these Toughbooks frequently in areas without networks, that is a non starter for me. However, once I'm signed in, I can use One Drive, Windows Activation connects to my account, and I can view my laptop from the Microsoft Account Dashboard. I just can't use my computer unless connected to a network. Following other people's advice, I followed the link under Accounts > Your Info to make a Local Account. Upon creating a Local Account named Owner with no password, the Microsoft connected account is deleted, I'm logged out, and have to log back in as Owner. Once I am logged back in as Owner, I am no longer connected to One Drive, my Microsoft account is nowhere to be found, and my Windows activation is removed from my online account. I am just trying to make this laptop function like my other one, where I have a local account only that syncs with Microsoft when connected to a network and just does its own thing when I'm away from the internet. Right now my CF-19 gives me two options: MS account login with mandatory Windows Hello and One Drive, but must be connected to the network to log in, or Local Account login with optional password with no access to One Drive, but allows me to log in freely as I please regardless of network connectivity. My CF-31 gives me the best of both: local account, no password, access to One Drive and able to log in regardless of network connectivity. I also have a Dell laptop that I use for pretty much everything else, and it's set up as a local account with a password but no Windows Hello, connected to my Microsoft account with One Drive and activation license linked to my Microsoft account. Long story short, the common thread between the CF-31 and the Dell is that I bought both used in 2019, and upgraded both to Windows 10 in 2019. The CF-19 I just bought has a 2021 install of update 20H1, and I am of the belief that an incremental update to 10 Pro between 2019 and now removed the ability to create a Local Account connected to a Microsoft Account. Am I correct? Am I missing something? Is there a workaround? I'm just trying to get this new laptop to function like my other one so I can sync files between them via One Drive and not have to fight with network connections just to log in when I'm away from a network. I wonder if there's a way to roll back Windows to a version older than the installed version. I wouldn't even know how to do that without losing the digital license.

:)

Btrains, Aug 19, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

3. Addie Win User
    Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account

Hello Ken,

Im using Win10 Build 1607 with all latest update.

I also run all related troubleshooters:
    • Windows Update
    • Store Apps (says i have to login in my microsoft account but thats the problem, i can't)
    • Microsoft Accounts

No Problem found. Also the suggestions from Microsoft didnt helped.

Addie, Aug 19, 2021
  4. How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account

Local vs Network user accounts

I just did a VM install, just to verify that I don't speak total crap.

Steps I took:

1. Installed Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15063.0
    2. Entered the License Key
    3. Created a local account
    4. Went to accounts and added my Microsoft account
    5. Let Windows use this account for all apps
    6. Checked status on Microsoft account web page.
    7. Verified that the VM shows up there
    8. deleted my VM locally
    9. created a new VM installation without entering the License Key (on same VM but totally new Virtual disk)
    10. re-did steps 3-7
    11. verified that my VM is activated.

And indeed it is activated and I login to my VM using local account which is linked to my MS account. How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account :)

Should I create a Video of this or do you trust my word on it? Or better yet test it yourself if you have a valid license key you can waste on a VM.

slicendice, Aug 19, 2021
Thema:

How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account

1. How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account - Similar Threads - link Microsoft Account

2. Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account: Hi,On my current/old Win 10 PC I use a Microsoft account with a user ID that has more than five characters.I now have a new PC and want to add my existing MS account into this PC.On my new PC, when I created the same user ID of more than five characters, it truncated it to...
  3. Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account: Hi,On my current/old Win 10 PC I use a Microsoft account with a user ID that has more than five characters.I now have a new PC and want to add my existing MS account into this PC.On my new PC, when I created the same user ID of more than five characters, it truncated it to...
  4. How can I change the Microsoft account linked to my local account?

How can I change the Microsoft account linked to my local account?: I want to use the Microsoft Family Safety application to monitor my kid's computer usage, but when setting up his computer, I used my own email account. Now I want to change it. I've been looking for ways to change it without having to create an entirely new user but I...
  5. How to link digital licence to Microsoft account on a local user account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to link digital licence to Microsoft account on a local user account: I have a new computer with Windows 10 Pro. It is activated. I log in to the computer with a local account, let’s say username “pen” and password “paper”. In activation settings, there is an option to link a Microsoft account to a digital licence. I did this and it said it...
  6. Cannot link local account to Microsoft account as account 'here already'

Cannot link local account to Microsoft account as account 'here already': Hello, I linked my Microsoft account to an admin account on Windows, and then removed it. I shifted over to a new user profile and have tried to link to Microsoft, but I always get the message that the email is 'here already' even though I have deleted the old user account...
  7. Linking local account to Microsoft account on Win Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Linking local account to Microsoft account on Win Pro: Hi, just installed new PC and have following issue: - I do not see option on account tab to link my local account to Microsoft account ("sing in with Microsoft Account instead") - As note - I can add Microsoft accounts of family members including me. - I also do not see...
  8. Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account: Hello, after a Windows Reset i got a message: "you need to fix your microsoft account for apps on your other devices to be able to launch apps" So i deleted and ulinked my Microsoft Account and converted my User as Local User and not a Microsoft Account user. The problem...
  9. Cannot link Microsoft Account to Local Account

Cannot link Microsoft Account to Local Account: I just updated to Windows 10 and the account I migrated from Windows 7 won't let me link my Microsoft account. Windows Store crashes when I click Sign In, and any other button that would bring up a dialog box is just unresponsive (Cortana, User Settings, ect.) I've created...
  10. Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account

Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account: Hi all, When I click on the link to associate my Microsoft Account to my Local Account (after upgrading from Windows 7), it simply does nothing. Click, click, click. Similarly, when I try to log in the Windows store app, I get an application error with cryptic codes...