Windows 10: How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar

Discus and support How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On a Surface Pro 4, running Windows 10 Pro. I want to lock the order of the taskbar icons so that they cannot be rearranged. The 'Lock Taskbar' option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MissWhaeaWai, Apr 3, 2019.

1. How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar

On a Surface Pro 4, running Windows 10 Pro. I want to lock the order of the taskbar icons so that they cannot be rearranged. The 'Lock Taskbar' option does not do this and only prevents the icons from being removed.

Any ideas?

:)

MissWhaeaWai, Apr 3, 2019
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Apr 3, 2019
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Taskbar icons

Hi,

To address your concern, follow the steps below on how to show hidden icons on the taskbar.

• Open Settings, and click on the Personalization
      icon.
    • Click on Taskbar on the left side, and click on the
      Select which icons appear on the taskbar
      link under the Notification area section on the right.
    • Turn on Always show all icons in the notification area at the top

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Apr 3, 2019
  4. Ryan Fra Win User

How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar

How do I move the taskbar icons back to the left?

Hi,

Kindly follow these steps to return the icons on the left side of the Taskbar:

• Right click on the empty Taskbar and uncheck Lock all taskbars.
    • Right click again on empty Taskbar and hover the mouse on Toolbar.
    • Click New folder.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Ryan Fra, Apr 3, 2019
Thema:

How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar

1. How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar - Similar Threads - lock order icons

2. How can we keep taskbar icons in the order we want them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can we keep taskbar icons in the order we want them?: How do we keep our taskbar icons in the order we need to be? Windows 11 keeps rearranging them which is very difficult for any of us who have vision problem and count on color and location to find what the ones need. There must be way force them to stay in place. Thank you...
  3. How to lock the taskbar icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to lock the taskbar icons?: How can I lock the taskbar pinned icons shortcuts to programs so that they have their own fixed zone and you can't move opened programs icons into them? Something like that was in Win 7 by default. And I don't mean Lock the taskbar option....
  4. How to lock the taskbar icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to lock the taskbar icons?: How can I lock the taskbar pinned icons shortcuts to programs so that they have their own fixed zone and you can't move opened programs icons into them? Something like that was in Win 7 by default. And I don't mean Lock the taskbar option....
  5. rearrange or re-order taskbar Icons in Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    rearrange or re-order taskbar Icons in Win 11: When I installed Windows 11 many of the task bar icons can not be moved or arranged in the order I want them to appear. With win 10 I could move or re-order the task bar icons. Anyone have the same problem or an idea to try to fix this?Thanks, Gary...
  6. rearrange or re-order taskbar Icons in Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    rearrange or re-order taskbar Icons in Win 11: When I installed Windows 11 many of the task bar icons can not be moved or arranged in the order I want them to appear. With win 10 I could move or re-order the task bar icons. Anyone have the same problem or an idea to try to fix this?Thanks, Gary...
  7. Is there a way to sort taskbar icon preview order?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to sort taskbar icon preview order?: I'm not sure what it's exactly called, but when you have multiple folders open(or similar stacking files) and when you hover over them and they show the a thumbnail is it possible to sort there order? I exited out of a folder by accident and now its out of order. Hope there...
  8. Taskbar locked icons?

Taskbar locked icons?: It may be a dumb question, or maybe I'm the only one who wants this, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is there a way for icons on the taskbar to remain locked on the left side, while when I open an app, the window opens on the right side of the taskbar instead of where the icon...
  9. Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File

Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File: Hi, I have a start and taskbar modification .xml file that is used with group policy for users and everything is working fine. The only issue is that regardless of the order I specified, Microsoft Edge and File Explorer always end up on the left. Every other icon respects...
  10. How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    How to keep taskbar apps/icons order when changing virtual desktops: When I change between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10, the order of applications in the taskbar changes each time I return to a Virtual Desktop. Is there some way to retain the order? To explain, I have a specific order of applications in my Windows taskbar - Directory Opus...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lock order of items on task bar

2. how to lock the task bar order