Windows 10: How to maintain selected columns in Win Explorer?

Discus and support How to maintain selected columns in Win Explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; .For instance, I always want to have the Rating column for folders with images. However, even after applying in properties, the Rating column still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tententwenty, Apr 25, 2020.

1. How to maintain selected columns in Win Explorer?

.For instance, I always want to have the Rating column for folders with images. However, even after applying in properties, the Rating column still goes away after that.

Any workaround?

How to maintain selected columns in Win Explorer? LkXuIYF.png

:)

tententwenty, Apr 25, 2020

2. Maintain Explorer Column Sizing

Is there a way to get the Windows Explorer to maintain the column sizes I set for them, especially for Word ad Excel files?

I open the explorer, have it "Size All Columns To Fit" so I can read longer file names. Next time I open the Explorer, not only does it not open at the size I left it after sizing to fit, the "Name" column shrunk back down to some default size ...

Why does this happen? I could understand if I added a new longer filename at some point and the Explorer doesn't resize larger, but why does it automatically resize smaller. This seems a lot of pointless work ...

Is there a (preferably global) solution to this?

Thanks!

FredVavrek, Apr 26, 2020
  3. Maintain Explorer Column Sizing

Okay, when I said, This doesn't work .." I was referring to a global fix for folders and subfolders ... Unless i did something wrong.

Your step-by-step instructions seems to have worked, on a per folder basis (I had been using Right click on name column and "Size all Columns to fit" Perhaps there is a difference in manually resizing the column at the dividing line ... but it still doesn't
    resize all sub folders and files globally. If I click on one of the folders in the group I resized, the files in that folder have to be resized also ...

I mean, I guess if this fix works, I can resize the name column of every file folder as I click on them but better would be to resize the Documents file, double click it, click Excel and have all the worksheet file names already sized to fit ...

FredVavrek, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

How to maintain selected columns in Win Explorer?

Windows Explorer behaviour in the right pane - stop column jumping to the left

Hello,

Currently running applications on your PC may be one of the possible reasons why you're having this issue with your Windows Explorer. To better assist you, please answer the following:

• Which specific build and version of Windows are you using? To check, please click this
      link.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Is this happening to all files when selecting in columns?

Changing the view on your Windows Explorer may help in troubleshooting the issue. We suggest that you check this
    link, this page contains instructions on how to change the column settings in
    Windows Explorer.

Dyan Rey, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

How to maintain selected columns in Win Explorer?

1. How to maintain selected columns in Win Explorer? - Similar Threads - maintain selected columns

2. Columns in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Columns in Windows Explorer: In the "good ol' days" Windows Explorer used to offer columns for date, size and type. That was exactly what I needed. Now, Windows guesses what information I want to see, so my music folders show number?, title, contributing artists and album. That may be helpful for some,...
  3. Columns in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Columns in Windows Explorer: In the "good ol' days" Windows Explorer used to offer columns for date, size and type. That was exactly what I needed. Now, Windows guesses what information I want to see, so my music folders show number?, title, contributing artists and album. That may be helpful for some,...
  4. How to show columns in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to show columns in file explorer: Hi I have an issue where my file explorer doesn't show any columns. I have sort by and group by columns, but it still doesn't show any of them. You can see this in the image below:...
  5. How to show columns in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to show columns in file explorer: Hi I have an issue where my file explorer doesn't show any columns. I have sort by and group by columns, but it still doesn't show any of them. You can see this in the image below:...
  6. How to show columns in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Win Explorer Slowing down with Date/Length Columns

in Windows 10 Support
    Win Explorer Slowing down with Date/Length Columns: win10 Pro 20h2 Been questioning if there is another way on this "problem", whenever i get to folders with videos it takes quite some time reading every single one checking for its date and length, does it need to check all the files every single time? can't it save the...
  8. file explorer columns

file explorer columns: The problem is since update to version 1909 the bit rate is not showing in file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-columns/a243c5e2-ac14-4cae-b62e-895a75d97cae
  9. Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10)

Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10): I am doing a lot of work with umpteen folders and I would find it easier if I could customise the columns in File Explorer instead of having to reset them with each change of folder. So far all the methods I have read just don't work. Before I finally accept that this is no...
  10. How to make a Win Explorer column option permanently a top of menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make a Win Explorer column option permanently a top of menu?: I want to have the 'Length' column option appear, by default, with the rest of these options in this Explorer menu: [img] Currently when I right click a column header to make the options come up, I have to scroll down quite a ways to find the option, select it, and...