Windows 10: How to make a USB port/connection letter persistent?

Discus and support How to make a USB port/connection letter persistent? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The USB port drive letter periodically switches between D and E messing up my scheduled Macrium Reflect daily backup. The free version will not send... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by markg2, Dec 4, 2017.

1. markg2 Win User

How to make a USB port/connection letter persistent?

The USB port drive letter periodically switches between D and E messing up my scheduled Macrium Reflect daily backup.

The free version will not send an error email so I frequently end up missing a number of days before I happen to check my wife's laptop.

I'm not sure of the 'solution' I found on search and wanted to confirm it with you.

After I changed the drive letter in Reflect to match that which file explorer indicated (changed from D to E), ran and completed the Reflect profile, I then proceeded to do the following to make the drive letter persistent.

1. Search machine 'create and format hard disk partitions'.
    2. Disk Management window
    3. Right click USB drive letter
    4. Change Drive Letter and Paths...
    5. Change

Since I had previously corrected the drive letter, there was no letter to change. But without changing it in this manner I'm sure that the problem would continue. So I figured I'd change the letter from E (correct) to D (incorrect) then after saving change the letter back to E (good). I got as far as changing the letter from E to D when Windows popped up saying that the port was in use (external hard drive) and wouldn't change until post post. I guess after boot, with the external drive still connected, it'll show up as D and then I'll do the same, change to E and be done?

:)

markg2, Dec 4, 2017

2. Recognize DataTraveler after W10 update

1. The DataTraveler could be conflicting with a pre-assigned drive letter. To resolve, do the following (Do not do this for a "Privacy" drive that assigns two drive letters):

• 1. Insert the DataTraveler and right click the windows Icon.

2. Select “Disk Management” on the left window pane.

3. Locate the DataTraveler in the upper window pane (it might not show the name).

4. Right-click on the drive and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths.”

5. Click Change and select a new drive letter from the drop-down box. Then click OK.
    2. The DataTraveler may be conflicting with pre-installed software. Disable all applications running in the background prior to installation of the Data Traveler.

3. Make sure Windows, any USB controller drivers and the system BIOS for you computer is up to date.

4. If you have a desktop computer, make sure the DataTraveler is inserted directly into one of the main USB ports on the back of the PC. Front ports, keyboard ports or USB Hubs may not supply sufficient power for the High Speed DataTraveler to function properly.

5. Check for a possible conflict is another USB device such as a printer or USB card reader. Unplug the other USB device, insert the DataTraveler drive and restart the system. After the DataTraveler is configured you should then be able to connect the other
    USB device.

WinterSwiftWolf, Dec 4, 2017
  3. how to make USB port writeable?

Hello!

Copy and paste the lines below to Notepad, save the file with .reg extension ( make sure "Save as type" is set to "All files" in Save as dialog box ) and execute the .reg file from File Explorer to import the information into registry.

Reboot the computer.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies]

"WriteProtect"=dword:00000000

Sorin-Mircea Neagoe, Dec 4, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You need to assign the USB drive (whether it be a flash drive or external hard drive) a drive letter that is way out there, like P for portable. Or start at Z and work your way backward. Then that same USB drive when connected to the same computer will keep that drive letter. If you set it for the next drive letter available such as D or E you take the chance of a previously connected device stealing that drive letter and bumping the next connected drive further down.

NavyLCDR, Dec 4, 2017
  5. markg2 Win User
    Sounds reasonable. I will do so and thanks.

Mark

markg2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to make a USB port/connection letter persistent? - Similar Threads - USB port connection

2. Connecting to USB port remotly by Ethernet port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting to USB port remotly by Ethernet port: Hello EveryoneI connect my PC to my Raspberry Pi over Ethernet cable. And initialize my RPi as server host to share its USB ports with my PC. And initialize my PC as client host to get access to the RPi's USB ports. When connect a flash memory to my RPi, I can access it...
  3. Connecting to USB port remotly by Ethernet port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to USB port remotly by Ethernet port: Hello EveryoneI connect my PC to my Raspberry Pi over Ethernet cable. And initialize my RPi as server host to share its USB ports with my PC. And initialize my PC as client host to get access to the RPi's USB ports. When connect a flash memory to my RPi, I can access it...
  4. Connecting to USB port remotly by Ethernet port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to make a dual persistent live usb?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to make a dual persistent live usb?: Hello, residents of Microsoft Community, I have a bit of a continuation.In my last post, I was talking about office on Linux, and asked in the replies if he knew how to make persistent USBs.Now, I’ve got a different idea all together.How possible would it be to make a USB,...
  6. How to make a dual persistent live usb?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make a dual persistent live usb?: Hello, residents of Microsoft Community, I have a bit of a continuation.In my last post, I was talking about office on Linux, and asked in the replies if he knew how to make persistent USBs.Now, I’ve got a different idea all together.How possible would it be to make a USB,...
  7. How to make a dual persistent live usb?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unused USB ports consuming needed drive letters.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unused USB ports consuming needed drive letters.: I need to change the letter of one of my drives from "M:" to "G:" to fix a bunch of shortcuts. Unfortunately, Win10 has decided to permanently assign a drive letter to every USB port whether there is something plugged into them or not. Result: I can't change the drive...
  9. How to make Windows Desktop persistent?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make Windows Desktop persistent?: Hello! After Windows wakeup from sleep or if I restart Windows Explorer the view of the desktop ist messily. Sometimes I am able to refresh the view, sometimes I have to define the order. Do you know, how to set the desktop view permamently? Thank you for advice with...
  10. USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent: I have a removable USB HDD that I use for second-level backups. I plug it in to my system only for this purpose. Almost every time I plug it in, I have to use Administrative Tools to re-assign a drive letter. Is there anything else I should be doing so that Windows keeps that...