Windows 10: How to make an EFI Win10 boot instruction in EFI partition?

Discus and support How to make an EFI Win10 boot instruction in EFI partition? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. There are hundreds of posts in these forums and on the internet about EFI and Windows 10 booting, but I can't seem to find a single one that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by masch, Aug 18, 2017.

1. masch Win User

How to make an EFI Win10 boot instruction in EFI partition?

Hi all.

There are hundreds of posts in these forums and on the internet about EFI and Windows 10 booting, but I can't seem to find a single one that describes how to boot Windows from an EFI partition.

Short Background
    ------------------------

I have a 512GB SSD with Windows 10 Pro installed, booting under MBR/Legacy (upgraded from Windows 8, and upgraded from Windows 7 prior to that, and I don't remember if that was also upgraded for Windows XP). But the point is, I didn't learn about GPT & UEFI until yesterday.

I've installed a new video card, and apparently I could not see anything on the screen upon boot - unless I change the BIOS system setup to "UEFI + CSM". With Legacy mode I couldn't get past the blue system setup screen.

However, my SSD was partitioned in MBR. I have no operating system and I have no other computer I could use - all the computers at work that I can borrow are all running Suse Linux or Ubuntu.

I have a Ubuntu 16.04 Live usb drive that I could use. So I booted from the Ubuntu Live usb drive in UEFI mode and I can get past the blue system setup screen. In fact typing this from the Ubuntu Live system.

Reading online, I learned that I could convert my MBR partition to GPT using the linux tool gdisk. So I did exactly that. I now have 0.2GB of EFI partition in FAT32, about 500GB of MSFT partition, and about 1GB of recovery partition.

But I can't boot my Windows 10.

-----------------------------------------------

What and how do I install information into that EFI partition?

I understand I need to create a bootmgr.efi file or something and copy it into the EFI partition under /boot/efi, but I have no idea how to do this. And how do I tell the bootmgr.efi file to look for my Windows installation in the primary drive in 2nd partition? (In Linux the Windows partition appears as /dev/sda2)

All the instructions I've read over the past 36 hours point to installing Windows from fresh - which I can't do because there are so many things and licenses in the drive that I cannot get back.

Please help.

:)

masch, Aug 18, 2017
  2. Bazmundi Win User

Why would windows 10 EFI installer not recognising keys?

I bought a gigabyte board to find it boots to EFI console.

No matter the helpful MS
    TechNet
    provided instruction enough on how to install my OEM copy of Windows 10 64.

One glaring problem I can type the following into the console as directed by MS TechNet BUT/HOWEVER/WOULD YOU BELIEVE when the BOOTX64.EFI "runs" it prompts with "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" and then IGNORES the keyboard
    - result my machine never boots but just falls back into the console.

So, behaviour is the raw motherboard boots to EFI, recognises the usb keyboard enough to allow me to enter the commands above but ignores keyboard when "\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI" is run.

Is this a problem with the \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI? Why would it not accept keys from the same keyboard that was used to run it and from the same shell that run it?

As you can imagine it is a little frustrating because the OEM version is not free.

Any useful suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

B

Bazmundi, Aug 18, 2017
  3. SPDL1 Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update(1607) fails due to "We couldn't update the system reserve partition"

Followed the instructions to a "T" but explorer did not find Y:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\

SPDL1, Aug 18, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Aug 18, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Aug 18, 2017
  6. masch Win User
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I was going through that website yesterday, but it downloads as an exe file and I think it requires to be currently running a Windows 10 operating system to run their file.

I have a Windows 10 install ISO (3.6 GB) but when I run it, I have option either to "Install Windows 10" or advanced settings. Under Advanced settings I could restore from an image, restore point or try to fix boot problems. I've tried them all.

masch, Aug 18, 2017
  7. masch Win User
    masch, Aug 18, 2017
  8. masch Win User

Hi Samuria

I must thank you for that link. Although I've already been to that link (it didn't work, it required a running Windows installation, and the last (manual) part (BCDBOOT) gave me an error that it couldn't copy the boot files over.
    I revisited that step and searched for other clues around the internet and I have found a solution that worked for me.
    Here is what I did, (modified from BSOD on Boot 0xc0000034 Solved - Windows 10 Forums)

1. Boot the computer using a Windows 10 installer usb. You will have to download a windows 10 .iso file and make a usb bootable drive from the .iso file. I found the .iso file on my portable drive, it's an old version (3.5GB) but it works - I didn't need to install it, I just needed it to boot to command prompt.
    2. When your installer takes you to the Windows Setup page where you select language and regional settings, press Shift+F10 to drop to command prompt.
    3. At the command prompt X:\Sources> type diskpart
    DISKPART> list disk
    #identify the disk you want to boot from from its capacity (GB), let's say it is disk 0
    DISKPART> select disk 0
    DISKPART> list partition
    #find the partition you will use as the EFI partition. It should be named System with format FAT32 and >100MB & <250MB. Assume this is Partition 1.
    #if it doesn't exist, you'll need to create one. Use Ubuntu LiveCD app called Gparted (built in with recent Ubuntu Live CDs)
    DISKPART> select partition 1
    #because this partition is broken (that's why you're reading this), you'll want to remake it. BE CAREFUL - MAKE SURE IT IS THE <200MB PARTITION THAT IS SELECTED
    DISKPART> delete partition
    #Your System/EFI partition should be empty space now.
    DISKPART> create partition efi
    #This creates a new proper System partition
    DISKPART> format quick fs=fat32
    DISKPART> list partition
    DISKPART> list volume
    #Write down the drive letter where Windows is installed. It should have a letter, for example Ltr C, means it is on C:\
    #now we select the volume with the recently created EFI system. Let's say it is Volume 1.
    DISKPART> select volume 1
    #now we assign the EFI volume a drive letter
    DISKPART> assign letter=b:
    DISKPART> exit
    4. Now we transfer Windows boot information into this newly created drive letter.
    X:> b:
    b:> mkdir EFI
    b:\> cd EFI
    b:\EFI> mkdir Microsoft
    b:\EFI> cd Microsoft
    b:\EFI\Microsoft> mkdir Boot
    b:\EFI\Microsoft> cd Boot
    b:\EFI\Microsoft> bootrec /fixboot
    #this may fail, I don't recall now, but the next line is the magic
    b:\EFI\Microsoft> bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-GB /s b: /f ALL
    #if this successfully completes, the next time you type "dir" you should see your Microsoft EFI files listed in this directory. Change en-GB to en-US or ja-JP accordingly.
    5. Reboot your computer, selecting EFI boot mode instead of MBR/Legacy. For me, I had to choose UEFI+CSM rather than Legacy.
    You should be able to boot into your Windows 10 installation now, meaning your EFI have been recovered.
    These notes are for me to revisit just in case one day - but if it helps others then I'll be glad.
    Cheers!

masch, Aug 19, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You don't have to create all those folders/directories manually, the bcdboot command will create the required folders.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to make an EFI Win10 boot instruction in EFI partition? - Similar Threads - EFI Win10 boot

2. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  3. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  4. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Two EFI partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two EFI partitions: I have SSD and HDDwindows is installed in SSDthere are Two EFI partitions totallyCan I delete the EFI partition in HDD Pls tell me what will happen if its deleted ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-efi-partitions/38ad9567-f3aa-49b0-909a-89d2aea81efe
  6. Location of EFI partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Location of EFI partition: This may be posted in the wrong area and can be moved if necessary.The question is: Does it matter where the EFI partition is located on your System Drive?When you look at new UEFI install of Windows on a GPT disk, the EFI partition is usually shown as the first on the...
  7. HowTo Expand Win10 EFI-Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HowTo Expand Win10 EFI-Partition: I've tried to resize the MS EFI-partition (100Mb to 500Mb) on DiskA. I've tried gparted on my Linux System on DiskB. A warning told me that something went wrong. On Windows it already shows the 500Mb size. But when i want to copy some files from my Linux System into the...
  8. Access to EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access to EFI Partition: After the latest windows update, when I open file explorer, three extra drives were added besides the c drive. Winretool partition was assigned y drive, PBR partition was assigned x drive and ESP (efi system partition) was assigned e drive. I was able to remove the y and x...
  9. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  10. EFI partition missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFI partition missing: I bought a new SSD and did a clean installation of Windows 10 on the new drive, but i'm still keeping my old HDD into my laptop as a secondary drive. After the installation worked (the laptop was working correctly) I decided to format my old HDD. After a reboot i got this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how remake a efi boot file

2. bcdboot c:\windows /l ja-jp /s b: /f all failed to copy