Windows 10: How to make an SSD the exclusive boot device?

Discus and support How to make an SSD the exclusive boot device? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a dell xps desktop. It came with a standard HDD with windows 10. I added an SSD when I bought it and have used that for the OS and applications,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mike6623, Jan 27, 2016.

1. mike6623 Win User

How to make an SSD the exclusive boot device?

I have a dell xps desktop. It came with a standard HDD with windows 10. I added an SSD when I bought it and have used that for the OS and applications, I was able to set it to boot to that drive, I formatted the HDD that came with the computer and used it as storage. This has been the case for around 3 months. Yesterday, the storage drive (the one that came with the OS and whatnot) was wiped with killdisk, not just re-formatted. Once the kill disk was completed I was still using the internet as usual with the SSD, since I had it as primary. I noticed I didn't see the storage drive listed under computer, so I rebooted. Now, It wouldn't boot to the ssd because I assume the original HDD has the boot manager on it, but the whole disk was zero'd. I installed 8.1 onto the HDD. I can now see my 224gb SSD in disk management. I just want to know how to make the ssd the
    exclusive drive that runs the os, boot manager etc on this computer. Here is a pic of my disk managemt

How to make an SSD the exclusive boot device? [​IMG]

:)

mike6623, Jan 27, 2016

2. M.2 SSD fails to boot-How to repair the boot sector from the Command Prompt?

Hi,

I suggest you to refer the below steps to repair the boot sector:

Note: If you don’t have the bootable DVD or USB drive, please refer to the steps in the article given below to create one and then follow the steps given below.

Create installation media for Windows 10

Download Windows 10

1. After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text

"Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

2. Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

3. Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

4. Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.

5. Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.

6. Click on command Prompt.

7. Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /scanos

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

8. Restart the computer.

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the
    configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope the above information is helpful. Revert to us with the status of the issue. We are happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Jan 27, 2016
  3. Ke rolar Win User
    M.2 SSD fails to boot-How to repair the boot sector from the Command Prompt?

Bump. Does anybody know why the above command didn't work?

Ke rolar, Jan 27, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

unplug the HDD
    boot to your setup media
    select repair this computer

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would also recommend you plug the SSD in to the first SATA port - apparently where the HDD is now. After you get the SSD booting by itself, plug the HDD into the second SATA port.

Once you get the SSD booting by itself, and the plug the HDD back in, you can delete the system reserved partition from the HDD and expand the data partition into the free space using MiniTool Partition Wizard.

NavyLCDR, Jan 27, 2016
  6. Kyhi Win User
    If he is like me - Dell XPS8700
    He installed a mSATA card into the onboard card slot - SATA Port 5

Thus SSD is Disk 1 because HDD is Disk 0

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Had not thought of that How to make an SSD the exclusive boot device? :)

NavyLCDR, Jan 27, 2016
  8. mike6623 Win User

I tried to to the repair and it fails. AS I said, I have an OS on the HSS and I see the SSD, there is nothing wrong with the SSD I just want to know how get the MBR or bootmanager onto the SSD, as I will not use the HDD for anything other than storage once I can complete this

mike6623, Jan 27, 2016
  9. mike6623 Win User
    It will not boot to the SSD because, what I assume is, is that originally it was dependant on the HDD, as that had the bootmanager on it.

mike6623, Jan 27, 2016
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
  11. mike6623 Win User
    Thanks man, change which one to "D"? The SSD is already listed as D. Are you saying make the HDD (the current C drive) the "D" Drive?

mike6623, Jan 27, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    When you boot from the SSD, the letters will change automatically. You need not change letters.

13. Kyhi Win User

You already have an unallocated 400MB System partition on Disk 1

from command prompt (admin)

Diskpart
    select disk 1
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label="SYSTEM"
    assign letter="S"
    active
    exit

Bcdboot D:\Windows /s S: /f BIOS

And I assume D is the SSD OS you want to Boot, so you can delete the C OS you are now using from the HDD..

14. mike6623 Win User
    Okay, thanks. Do that then follow the instructions in the link provided to get the boot manager onto the SSD? I want the SSD to be exclusive, no dependance on the HDD. I think that is why I ran into this issue, because I believe the SSD was relying on the Bootmanager that was on the HDD that came with the PC

mike6623, Jan 27, 2016
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    You are right. You did not have a bootmgr on the SSD. The instructions in the tutorial will fix that.

Thema:

1. How to make an SSD the exclusive boot device? - Similar Threads - SSD exclusive boot

2. SSD no longer a boot device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD no longer a boot device: Yesterday my PC was working fine but I recieved a pop up to restart my device to repair the disk, but I could restart later and I could still do anything I wanted on the computer. On restart there was a long period repairing files and now my PC will only boot to my old HDD...
  3. Making my SSD the boot drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Making my SSD the boot drive: I want to make my new SSD my boot drive and I think to do that I have to install windows 10 on it, select it as the boot drive in bios and that should be it, right? I've already formatted it so I'm not worried about that Before I make a mistake though I wanted to get my...
  4. How to make drive boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make drive boot: I recently posted a thread where I had "bricked" my PC by messing about with Acronis Disk Director 12.5. I thought I'd lost the BIOS, somehow. I hadn't. The problem now is to get the HDD to boot Win10 with that same PC. When installed, the PC shows no HDD present but, if I...
  5. How to make drive boot

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make drive boot: I recently posted a thread where I had "bricked" my PC by messing about with Acronis Disk Director 12.5. I thought I'd lost the BIOS, somehow. I hadn't. The problem now is to get the HDD to boot Win10 with that same PC. When installed, the PC shows no HDD present but, if I...
  6. Adding a second SSD and making it the primary and boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding a second SSD and making it the primary and boot drive: Unsure if this is the best place but I am trying to figure out how to best configure my storage for my Laptop. It has 2 NVMe Slots. Originally came with 500GB drive Added my own 1TB WD drive to empty NVME Slot Very little data on the original drive, most are in one...
  7. How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?: Hello, so I recently Installed windows to my new Kingston ssd and I have noticed that it does not display in my bios as the main boot drive for UEFI. So whenever I have to turn off my computer or restart it I have to press f9 boot drive selector and manually select my ssd to...
  8. How to Boot from an SSD?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Boot from an SSD?: Hi, I recently installed a SAMSUNG V-NAND SSD 860 EVO into my Alienware Aurora R6. I have properly cloned my entire hard drive onto my new SSD. I am running into trouble when wanting to boot from my SSD. At the moment, I have my HDD and my SDD cloned, and the BIOS menu is not...
  9. How to make bluetooth devices active at boot?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make bluetooth devices active at boot?: Hi, I have a tablet with Windows 10x64. I use it with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Problem is that both are picked up only when the desktop shows up, but they are inactive during boot (only a wireless keyboard will work, I tested it). So my question is, how can I make...
  10. How to make SSD bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make SSD bootable: I have an emachine desktop. I bought a Toshiba 1GB SSD that operates through a USB cord. My intention is to clone my emachine hard drive to the SSD portable drive and then plug it into a desktop computer and boot from the portable SSD so I have access to all my programs with...