Windows 10: How to Make Botoable USB Flash Drive from OS Install ISO on Desktop?

Discus and support How to Make Botoable USB Flash Drive from OS Install ISO on Desktop? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I give up. I'm been trying for nearly two days now to make a booable USB flash drive with the Win 10 install ISO on my desktop for the latest Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by me1004, Oct 25, 2020.

1. me1004 Win User

How to Make Botoable USB Flash Drive from OS Install ISO on Desktop?

I give up. I'm been trying for nearly two days now to make a booable USB flash drive with the Win 10 install ISO on my desktop for the latest Win 10 Upgrade, to the October 2020 version.

Until this version, I was alwasy able to burn a bootable DVD, used Nero. But this version is too big to fit on a DVD, so I have to use a USB flash drive.

In two days of research and effort and trials, I have not been able to get it done. Oh, the ISO is perfectly fine, I used it to do the upgrade.

Oh, I do have the Media Creation Tool, but the stupid thing will not make the USB flash drive from an ISO on my desktop -- why ever would they leave that little function out!? It requires I download the ISO all over again, and it makes the bootable drive from that. It takes me 4+ hours to download that huge file! I do not want to have to do that twice, I already did it once.

This should be a simple thing, easy. In fact, Windows should already have a function in it to do this very thing -- but it does not. I have found various instructiorns with step by step, but they all fail. I know there are various referrals to a few apps to do it, mostly to Rufus, but I dare not touch any such an app I have never heard of and end up very sorry that I loaded some very dangerous malware onto my computer. Why does WIndows 10 not already include such an app!?

Well, I finally did just find what was suppsoed to be a Microsoft app to do it, the poster in a thread here said it would be bootable. It is called Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, and despite its name, it is suppsoed to be good for Win 7, 8 and 10. And it is supposed to make a bootable USB drive from an ISO file on your desktop.

I downloaded it, and just ran it. It starts by formatting the drive, and you pick the ISO file you want to use, and the destination drive. That's it, the app does the rest.

It took a while and it finished. I saw the files were on the USB flash drive. I rebooted. It doesn't boot! I tested vit arious ways, but it does not boot. Even though the assurance was that tool would make a bootbale drive, it seems it is not bootable. It seems it merely copied the files from the ISO, did nothing else that is needed to make it bootable.

How can I get this done. Is there not some Windows tool like that one that actually makes a bootable USB drive? But please, I don't want any more pile of steps to do and things to figure out that dont even work. Please, only something simple to get this done.

And shame on Microsoft to not already have that in the OS.

:)

me1004, Oct 25, 2020

2. Bootable USB with ISO - What am I missing?

Tried the first program, but it fails .. not sure yet why but troubleshooting that ...

The pendrive seems to be only for linux? although seems very useful i dont think it will help me with this. Keeping it for future linux installs though

hmmm if I already have the iso, do I just throw that in the usb drive?

ok looking into this as well...

copenhagen69, Oct 25, 2020
  3. Best way to OS to iso to install?!

Norton ghost can make ISO's of a HDD but I would just suggest making a whole image and placing it on a thumbdrive cause its faster to install instead of useing a DVD drive.

brandonwh64, Oct 25, 2020
  4. puma99dk| Win User

Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

i have been installing Windows 7 Ultimate x86 OEM from my Kingston G2 8gb usb for over 6month now, and it's formattet as NTFS but you need to active the partition on the usb flash drive to get it to boot propperly and give it the barcode that the Windows 7 disc have.

i have use this guide several times but once the usb flash drive's partition is activated you never need to do that again.

Guide: How to Install Windows 7 From USB Drive without Windows 7 iso dvd - Blogsdna.com

puma99dk|, Oct 25, 2020
Thema:

1. How to Make Botoable USB Flash Drive from OS Install ISO on Desktop? - Similar Threads - Botoable USB Flash

2. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  3. How to know if OS is re-installing from my flash drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to know if OS is re-installing from my flash drive?: Some times I re-install it without a flash drive and sometimes with. It really not seeing any way to know what laptop chose. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-know-if-os-is-re-installing-from-my-flash/ad68a1f4-64d7-4fac-bc29-bf25a1fc4f1f
  4. How to know if OS is re-installing from my flash drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to know if OS is re-installing from my flash drive?: Some times I re-install it without a flash drive and sometimes with. It really not seeing any way to know what laptop chose. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-know-if-os-is-re-installing-from-my-flash/ad68a1f4-64d7-4fac-bc29-bf25a1fc4f1f
  5. How to know if OS is re-installing from my flash drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. install windows iso from usb flash drive over network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    install windows iso from usb flash drive over network: i have trouble with a pc that cannot use its usb ports because it was fried. i dont have any disk that are capable to put windows installer in. only had a 29 gb flash drive lying around....
  7. install windows iso from usb flash drive over network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    install windows iso from usb flash drive over network: i have trouble with a pc that cannot use its usb ports because it was fried. i dont have any disk that are capable to put windows installer in. only had a 29 gb flash drive lying around....
  8. Make USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Make USB Flash Drive: I was going to make a USB Flash Drive to install windows 10 as described in tutorial by Brink. But I find that ISO has been removed?? Can I still make Flash Drive / How?: 8461
  9. How to easily make an installation USB stick from an ISO

How to easily make an installation USB stick from an ISO: So you want to reinstall Windows 10, or maybe dual-boot with Linux? Then (especially with Linux) you are like "How to I make the ISO installable from?" Then you've come to the right place. Use this software called Rufus (rufus.akeo.ie). Its really fast and can use about any...
  10. Making a Windows 10 USB Install flash drive

Making a Windows 10 USB Install flash drive: Is it legal to make a Windows 10 USB install flash drive for a friend in another state? Thanks, 16378