Windows 10: How to make computer go into hibernate mode automatically when AC power gets cut off and...

Discus and support How to make computer go into hibernate mode automatically when AC power gets cut off and... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Need computer to go into hibernate mode when AC power turns off from power outages and DC power kicks in from UPS. Any setting in windows to achieve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CoolFella247, Apr 18, 2023.

1. How to make computer go into hibernate mode automatically when AC power gets cut off and...

Need computer to go into hibernate mode when AC power turns off from power outages and DC power kicks in from UPS. Any setting in windows to achieve this? Thanks for any help!

:)

CoolFella247, Apr 18, 2023
  2. pcunite Win User

How to wake a computer out of Sleep mode when AC power is restored?

I found a solution.

The four steps below will cause the PC to enter sleep mode when the UPS switches to battery. When AC power is restored, the PC will resume from Sleep. Also, should the PC's power get cut (while in Sleep mode), when power is restored, the BIOS setting ensures
    it will power back on.

Step 1:

Make sure your BIOS is set to always turn the system on, should the power ever get cut. Look for "Restore Power After AC loss", or similarly named setting, and set this to On.

Step 2:

Configure the Windows power option to put the computer to sleep after X minutes. Set
    Control Panel / Power Options / Put the computer to sleep: 5 minutes.

Step 3:

Change the advanced power options to also put the computer to sleep for Critical and Low battery states.

Step 4:

Under Device Manger, right click on HID UPS Battery and then under the
    Power Management
    tab check Allow this device to wake the computer.

pcunite, Apr 18, 2023
  3. How to set Windows 11 to hibernate automatically (hibernate after)

Just to be clear, Windows has two low-power modes:

1. Sleep - All non-essential activities and drivers are stopped and the processor goes into power-conservation mode
    2. Hibernate - The current system state is stored to hard drive, and the system powers off
    Sleep is enabled OOTB and can be controlled by control panel.

You can enable hibernate from the advanced power settings in control panel.

In Windows 10, you can set the timeout so that after sleeping for a certain duration, the PC automatically hibernates to go to deep power saving.

Windows 11 seems to be missing the UI feature to set that time out and by default it's set to a very long time (like 16 hours)

Here's how to enable hibernate and set the timeouts by the command line.

1. Open an elevated command prompt (run as administrator)
    2. Enable hibernate: powercfg /HIBERNATE ON
    3. Query the current hibernate idle settings: powercfg /Q

Look for a section that looks like:

Subgroup GUID: 238c9fa8-0aad-41ed-83f4-97be242c8f20 (Sleep)

GUID Alias: SUB_SLEEP

Power Setting GUID: 9d7815a6-7ee4-497e-8888-515a05f02364 (Hibernate after)

GUID Alias: HIBERNATEIDLE

Minimum Possible Setting: 0x00000000

Maximum Possible Setting: 0xffffffff

Possible Settings increment: 0x00000001

Possible Settings units: Seconds

Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000

Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000e10

0x00000e10 = 3600 seconds
    4. To set the DC power (battery power) timeout: powercfg /x hibernate-timeout-dc 60

This will set it to 60 min or 3600 seconds or 0x00000e10 seconds
    5. You can even make it work when on AC power (plugged in): powercfg /x hibernate-timeout-ac 60
    Why Microsoft in their infinite wisdom drops features like this I'll never no, but at least the OS can still do it.

The One Real Dave, Apr 18, 2023
  4. Eric Ber Win User

How to make computer go into hibernate mode automatically when AC power gets cut off and...

Automatically going to Sleep/Hibernate Mode

Hi Sandeep,

Conflicts with the power settings is one of the possible reasons why your computer is automatically going to sleep or hibernate mode. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.

Meanwhile, you can try to create a new local user account to isolate the issue. You can follow the steps in this

link
    to create a new local user account.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eric Ber, Apr 18, 2023
Thema:

How to make computer go into hibernate mode automatically when AC power gets cut off and...

1. How to make computer go into hibernate mode automatically when AC power gets cut off and... - Similar Threads - computer hibernate mode

2. How to make computer go into hibernate mode automatically when AC power gets cut off and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make computer go into hibernate mode automatically when AC power gets cut off and...: Need computer to go into hibernate mode when AC power turns off from power outages and DC power kicks in from UPS. Any setting in windows to achieve this? Thanks for any help!...
  3. How to make computer go into hibernate mode automatically when AC power gets cut off and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make computer go into hibernate mode automatically when AC power gets cut off and...: Need computer to go into hibernate mode when AC power turns off from power outages and DC power kicks in from UPS. Any setting in windows to achieve this? Thanks for any help!...
  4. AC power light is off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AC power light is off: HI ihave a question,in my laptop Toshiba Satllite,model P55-A5312 The AC Power Liht is off,butt the laptop is working ok,how can i fix the ACpower light be on when i turn on my laptop?...
  5. AC power light is off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AC power light is off: HI ihave a question,in my laptop Toshiba Satllite,model P55-A5312 The AC Power Liht is off,butt the laptop is working ok,how can i fix the ACpower light be on when i turn on my laptop?...
  6. AC power light is off

7. Laptop Hibernates automatically, even on AC power.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Hibernates automatically, even on AC power.: My system hibernates even when on AC power.Even log shows following:Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 11/16/2021 6:04:37 PM Event ID: 524 Task Category: 223 Level: Information Keywords: 1024,4 User: SYSTEM Computer: kha333n Description: Critical...
  8. Laptop Hibernates automatically, even on AC power.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Hibernates automatically, even on AC power.: My system hibernates even when on AC power.Even log shows following:Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 11/16/2021 6:04:37 PM Event ID: 524 Task Category: 223 Level: Information Keywords: 1024,4 User: SYSTEM Computer: kha333n Description: Critical...
  9. Laptop Hibernates automatically, even on AC power.

10. Can turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in the hibernate mode harm the...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in the hibernate mode harm the...: I would like to whether there is any harm in turning power off when the computer is in sleep mode or in hibernate mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-turning-power-off-when-the-computer-is-in/d9c66559-e411-453f-8768-092a7e4e5cee