Windows 10: How to make computer recognise external microphone

Discus and support How to make computer recognise external microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Everyone I am using a small netbook laptop Lenovo about 4 years old. The Windows 10 version is 1903. Now that we are all locked down I am using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by songbird, Mar 28, 2020.

1. songbird Win User

How to make computer recognise external microphone

Hi Everyone
    I am using a small netbook laptop Lenovo about 4 years old. The Windows 10 version is 1903.

Now that we are all locked down I am using zoom a lot BUT so far I have had to use it on my smartphone because on this computer, although I can hear other people, they cannot hear me.I had this problem a few years ago with skype though that seemed to happen after skype upgraded and I blamed skype and the upgrade. Since then for videocalls I have mainly used whatsApp but on phone, of course.

Now that we are all using zoom so much and because I was encountering this same microphone problem - the App apparently not recognising the internal microphone - it was suggested to me that I should buy an external microphone. This I have done BUT it has not helped and the problem seems to be that the computer just does not recognise it is there. If I go to Settings, then System then Sound it is still only giving me the option 'Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)' that it always has i.e. the built in microphone.

So my question is: to use Zoom with the laptop, which will be much better for meetings with more than 4 people, how do I connect in the external microphone? (It connects via the audio jack).

Thank you for any help uyou can give.

:)

songbird, Mar 28, 2020

2. External microphones detected but not working

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with External microphone. I will surely help you.

I suggest you to run a Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Please follow the below mentioned steps to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Search for Troubleshooting in the
      Search box
      , and run it.
    • Select view all in the left pane of troubleshooting Window.
    • Click on the Hardware and Devices, and follow the
      on-screen instructions.

Please reach back to us if you still face difficulty with external microphone. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Mayank_Bhiwal, Mar 28, 2020
  3. External microphone not showing in the Recording tab

My Windows 10 laptop is not recognizing any external microphones. I have two headsets: a Bluetooth one and one for an audio jack. Both headsets work correctly on other devices. When I connect the headsets to my computer, I can hear audio, but the microphones
    do not work.

Here are the steps I've taken so far:

• Updated drivers (they were already up to date)
    • From Sound Settings, headsets do not appear as options for the input device
    • Ran the microphone troubleshooter - headsets do not appear as options
    • From Control Panel > Sound > Recording, headsets do not appear as options. I have selected the disabled and disconnected devices options.
    • From Microphone Privacy, all apps have access to the microphone.
    That's everything I found online to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

TechWriterHeather, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

External microphone does not work

Hi Zarbab,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the microphone being in a disabled state. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Control Panel and categorize to view by
      Small Icons.
    • Click on Speech Recognition and navigate to
      Advanced Speech Options > Microphone > Advanced
    • Check Real Conexant HD Audio, save the changes and exit
      Control Panel.
    • Restart the machine to see if the microphone works.

Meanwhile, you may also want to go through the troubleshooting suggestions given in the following articles and see if they help:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

1. How to make computer recognise external microphone - Similar Threads - computer recognise external

2. Computer doesn't recognise a usb microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer doesn't recognise a usb microphone: Hello, I've bought my cousin a new headset with an inbuilt microphone Lenovo G20. This headset has 2 wire's. A usb one, which is for the microphone, and the second one is a 3.5mm jack for the headphones themselves. When I plug the 3.5mm wire into the pc, it recognises it as a...
  3. Computer doesn't recognise a usb microphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer doesn't recognise a usb microphone: Hello, I've bought my cousin a new headset with an inbuilt microphone Lenovo G20. This headset has 2 wire's. A usb one, which is for the microphone, and the second one is a 3.5mm jack for the headphones themselves. When I plug the 3.5mm wire into the pc, it recognises it as a...
  4. Computer doesn't recognise a usb microphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External Microphone not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Microphone not recognised: I have been trying to set up an external microphone for my laptop, except it refuses to recognise the device. The basic details are:-Windows 11 Home-Microphone is one that came in the LVLUP 6 in one gaming bundle-Laptop is MSI Katana GF66I have a headset with a microphone...
  6. External Microphone not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Microphone not recognised: I have been trying to set up an external microphone for my laptop, except it refuses to recognise the device. The basic details are:-Windows 11 Home-Microphone is one that came in the LVLUP 6 in one gaming bundle-Laptop is MSI Katana GF66I have a headset with a microphone...
  7. external drives not recognised

external drives not recognised: Hi all. Following a fresh install of windows 10 home on my Asus notebook L200E yes, I know it's memory is limited but you can't add more as the memory in this type of device is located on chips on the motherboard, not a proper SSD etc. Since the install I have had to overcome...
  8. External Microphone Not Recognised

External Microphone Not Recognised: My laptop automatically detects when my headphones are plugged in and switches to them immediately for audio output, so I know there's no issue with my jack, but when I plug in my external mic Audio-Technica Condensor it doesn't recognize it at all, doesn't even show that its...
  9. Microphone not recognised by Realtek

Microphone not recognised by Realtek: I recently acquired a headset, but cannot get the mic to work. I have tested it in another device, and the mic works fine. I have tested other headsets on mh laptop, but to no avail I have a single headset jack on my laptop, and am running Realtek HD Audio drivers in...
  10. Microphone not recognised?

Microphone not recognised?: Hi I've been looking for a solution to a problem where my laptop doesn't recognise my microphone connected to my headset for quite some time. It's an external microphone but after messing around for some time even my internal microphone is now not responding to input and I...