Windows 10: How to make dedicated GPU card to be preferred instead of Integrated?

Discus and support How to make dedicated GPU card to be preferred instead of Integrated? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Currently, I have to manually add every single performance-sensitive app (eg. Games) to the Grapics options and select "High performance".. If I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MartinHolkovic, Oct 21, 2018.

1. How to make dedicated GPU card to be preferred instead of Integrated?

Currently, I have to manually add every single performance-sensitive app (eg. Games) to the Grapics options and select "High performance".. If I don't add the app at all or add it but keep the "System default" option then the integrated graphic card is used.

I wasn't able to find information how to make the dedicated GPU default one - I've also tried to manually disabling integrated card in device manager, but then the CPU was used for rendering and dedicated card not at all (could see in Task manager under Performance tab)

Anyone could advise? I've got asus-Z170 motherboard with nvidia GeForce gtx 1060 card.

thanks in advance,

Martin

:)

MartinHolkovic, Oct 21, 2018

2. Games running with Integrated Graphics Card instead of Dedicated one

I appreciate your help, but no matter what I try, the game still runs with the Intel video card (when I try to get best settings it's still on low). I attached a pic with the Intel overriding the settings.

Nothing to be done it seems.

How to make dedicated GPU card to be preferred instead of Integrated? [​IMG]

doriandiaconu, Oct 21, 2018
  3. Integrated vs Dedicated GPU Query

Ok, thanks for the advice, it's good to know the fan is supposed to whir up and that the integrated GPU should do the job.

I followed the advice and set firefox on nvidia via control panel just to see what happened in task manager processes and if the fan still kicked in. It did and with the same level of noise but the GPU usage was showing much lower, (around 30%) and in processes it showed both nividia and integrated usage simultaneously, which was unexpected but perhaps the integrated may be other processes that are running rather than firefox. Although I can't think what.

Having looked through the nvidia control panel which is set to Global settings 'auto-select: Integrated', and then scroll down the list of programs in the box on the program settings tab, I notice just about everything is set to integrated, even stuff like vlc player. So the question that springs to mind is what is nvidia actually used for, if not even games and videos. What is the purpose of having a high spec dedicated graphics card.

ouroboros72, Oct 21, 2018
  4. Kbird Win User

How to make dedicated GPU card to be preferred instead of Integrated?

Kbird, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

How to make dedicated GPU card to be preferred instead of Integrated?

1. How to make dedicated GPU card to be preferred instead of Integrated? - Similar Threads - dedicated GPU card

2. Integrated and Dedicated GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Integrated and Dedicated GPU: hi, my dedicated gpu is broken it cant play any games. like valorant it changes frames after I alt+tab. I have a 2nd monitor and i use it as my main monitor. so can i use the integrated gpu to play gamesit can run low setting am good with that but i dont want to disable the...
  3. Integrated and Dedicated GPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Integrated and Dedicated GPU: hi, my dedicated gpu is broken it cant play any games. like valorant it changes frames after I alt+tab. I have a 2nd monitor and i use it as my main monitor. so can i use the integrated gpu to play gamesit can run low setting am good with that but i dont want to disable the...
  4. Integrated and Dedicated GPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to connect external display to the dedicated GPU instead of integrated GPU in laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to connect external display to the dedicated GPU instead of integrated GPU in laptop: My laptop is asus tuf A15 using ryzen 7 4800h and Nvdia 3050. It seems that if i connect my external display to the only hdmi available in the laptop it will connect to the integrated GPU and therefore the settings will be in the amd software only and wouldn't show in the...
  6. How to connect external display to the dedicated GPU instead of integrated GPU in laptop

How to connect external display to the dedicated GPU instead of integrated GPU in laptop: My laptop is asus tuf A15 using ryzen 7 4800h and Nvdia 3050. It seems that if i connect my external display to the only hdmi available in the laptop it will connect to the integrated GPU and therefore the settings will be in the amd software only and wouldn't show in the...
  7. How to connect external display to the dedicated GPU instead of integrated GPU in laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Integrated GPU being used instead of dedicated GPU regardless of settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Integrated GPU being used instead of dedicated GPU regardless of settings: My applications won't properly use my dedicated graphics card. This has been an ongoing issue for a while, but I don't recall for how long. There's a similar thread of someone that has had the same issue but it didn't resolve anything for me. My computer specs are here in a...
  9. Integrated GPU being used instead of dedicated GPU regardless of settings

Integrated GPU being used instead of dedicated GPU regardless of settings: My applications won't properly use my dedicated graphics card. This has been an ongoing issue for a while, but I don't recall for how long. There's a similar thread of someone that has had the same issue but it didn't resolve anything for me. My computer specs are here in a...
  10. Games running with Integrated Graphics Card instead of Dedicated one

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Games running with Integrated Graphics Card instead of Dedicated one: I got a Lenovo IdeaPad Z50-70 Laptop, with all the drivers up-to-date (including beta drivers). http://support.lenovo.com/ro/en/prod...Product%20Info The laptop features an Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400 video card and a NVidia GeForce 840M. The trick is that...