Windows 10: How to make drive from old PC bootable again.

Discus and support How to make drive from old PC bootable again. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Sony Vaio laptop died (mechanically) so I retrieved the HDD (containing Windows 10 Home operating system) from it in order to recover various files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DamianDavis, Dec 31, 2018.

1. How to make drive from old PC bootable again.

My Sony Vaio laptop died (mechanically) so I retrieved the HDD (containing Windows 10 Home operating system) from it in order to recover various files and data. I now have a shiny new laptop and have found most of the things I wanted to recover using a USB to SATA external caddy connector. All well and good.

I need to actually run an application (Dreamweaver) from the old HDD (I tried running Dreamweaver.exe on it but no joy, instant error message) in order to retrieve some encrypted settings so I can access my website. I put the old HDD in a spare computer which can see it and correctly identify it but can't boot from it, giving an 'insert bootable media' error message.

Is it possible that using it as effectively an external USB drive has somehow rendered it unbootable? If this is the case, how do I make it bootable again without losing any data? What I want to end up with is a drive I can temporarily fire up in another PC and run my old Windows 10 and applications one last time, to tidy up some loose ends before consigning the Vaio to recycling/landfill.

P.S.

I know about retrieving Dreamweaver site definition files but for some reason the decryption didn't work, this is a last throw of the dice. The meat of my question is 'How do I make the old drive bootable again'.

:)

DamianDavis, Dec 31, 2018
  2. Chewy Win User

Ipod bootable drive?

I want to know if I can make my ipod a usb bootable drive.. will it mess up my ipod? I need to flash my video card back to normal.. Neros bootable cd gave me an error. I used a step by step guide, but thats another story.

Chewy, Dec 31, 2018
  3. Agility Win User
    Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Dec 31, 2018
  4. How to make drive from old PC bootable again.

third sata drive not bootable ?

Exactly. On the where do you want to install Windows screen, it has the list of all 3 drives, but when I choose the new drive is when it says it cannot install because the drive is not a bootable drive. If I select one of the other drives with XP installed it doesn't give that message.

jeepdriver, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

How to make drive from old PC bootable again.

1. How to make drive from old PC bootable again. - Similar Threads - drive old bootable

2. How do I make windows 11 bootable again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make windows 11 bootable again?: I'm running windows 11 22H2, I hard reset my computer while it was hibernating. Now when I try to boot into windows I boot into bios. My ssd I'm running windows on isn't showing up as a bootable uefi device, I've unplugged any device that could cause any conflicts, but still...
  3. How do I make windows 11 bootable again?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make windows 11 bootable again?: I'm running windows 11 22H2, I hard reset my computer while it was hibernating. Now when I try to boot into windows I boot into bios. My ssd I'm running windows on isn't showing up as a bootable uefi device, I've unplugged any device that could cause any conflicts, but still...
  4. Making a Win 11 Home PC bootable from a USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making a Win 11 Home PC bootable from a USB drive: Win 11 Home installed on a new Lenovo ThinkBook. I want to be able to run utilities off a bootable USB drive. I have turned off Bitlocker drives confirmed as unencrypted, turned off Secure Boot and enabled USB booting in the UEFI BIOS but the PC still ignores the bootable USB...
  5. Making a Win 11 Home PC bootable from a USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making a Win 11 Home PC bootable from a USB drive: Win 11 Home installed on a new Lenovo ThinkBook. I want to be able to run utilities off a bootable USB drive. I have turned off Bitlocker drives confirmed as unencrypted, turned off Secure Boot and enabled USB booting in the UEFI BIOS but the PC still ignores the bootable USB...
  6. How to Make a Bootable Windows 10 USB Drive?

in Windows 10 News
    How to Make a Bootable Windows 10 USB Drive?: Most people prefer installing Windows 10 using a USB drive rather than a DVD. However, creating a bootable drive can get a little complicated. This article will look at how to create a bootable drive for Windows 10. What's Needed to Make a Windows 10 Bootable USB Drive? To...
  7. Make a 59GB USB drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Make a 59GB USB drive bootable?: Hi, my USB drive is 59GB and I can't make it bootable with Rufus. The drive is a GPT style and I can't change it to MBR or it won't boot. I also can't use active command since it is a GPT disk. How do I make it bootable?...
  8. How to make a bootable flash drive with Windows 10 from Cloudready ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to make a bootable flash drive with Windows 10 from Cloudready ?: I have a laptop with cloudready installed on it.I just bought another laptop without an operating system on it.At the moment I don't have access to a device with windows 10 to make a bootable stick with media creation tool.I made a bootable stick with windows 10 on the...
  9. How to make recovered drive bootable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to make recovered drive bootable: After a recent drive failure/system crash, I restored my C-Drive from an Acronis True Image Home backup, to a new drive. The restore operation completed successfully, however the system does not recognize the new drive as a boot drive. The backup was done as a file backup...
  10. How to make cloned drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to make cloned drive bootable?: I cloned C drive to G via Macrium Reflect sector by sector but cannot understand why the cloned SSD is not bootable. What commands do I run to enable the mirror G drive to boot just like C?The hardware is MSI Titan GT80 SLI running Windows 10. [img] The G drive needs to say...