Windows 10: How to make folder shortcuts act like folders inside File Open dialogs

Discus and support How to make folder shortcuts act like folders inside File Open dialogs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone I don't store all my files in the Documents folder, but in various other nested folders on various other drives, e.g.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ugcheleuce, Oct 6, 2020.

1. How to make folder shortcuts act like folders inside File Open dialogs

Hello everyone

I don't store all my files in the Documents folder, but in various other nested folders on various other drives, e.g. D:\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Folder4 etc. I have a shortcuts on my Desktop to frequently used folders, e.g. a shortcut called "My Favourite Folder" that gets me to D:\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Folder4 quickly.

Under Windows 7 and earlier, I was able to open files directly from various programs' "File Open" dialogs using those shortcuts on my desktop. In other words, in e.g. MS Word, I could go Ctrl+O, click the Desktop shortcut, then click "My Favourite Folder" (which is not a folder but a shortcut to a folder), which instantly navigates me to D:\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Folder4, where I can then click e.g. "My File.doc" inside that folder, to open that file.

I can no longer do that, in Windows 10. Shortcuts to files and folders no longer appear in a File Open dialog. (Oh, I can change the filter to "All files", and then the shortcuts do show up, but they don't act as shortcuts.)

A frustrating workaround that I currently use is to double-click the e.g. "My Favourite Folder" shortcut on the Desktop, then click in its breadcrumbs field, Ctrl+C, and then go to Word, Ctrl+O, click in the File field, Ctrl+V, and click "Open", which navigates to that folder.

Is there some kind of setting in Windows 10 that brings back the Windows 7 behaviour?

Thanks
    Samuel

Windows 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362

:)

ugcheleuce, Oct 6, 2020
  2. GSquadron Win User

Folders with zip files

I have like 30 or more folders and everyone of them has only one single zip file.
    How can I extract all zip files inside of all folders?

GSquadron, Oct 6, 2020
  3. Folder Template with shortcut to folder inside folder.

I showed you the principle of a method that will do what you wish. To apply it to any folder structure you need to understand how it works.

• In my shortcut I defined the "Start in" folder as %CD%. This means that the shortcut must use the
      current folder as its base. In my example this was C:\Templates\Template1\TestA.
    • For the shortcut I used this command line:

explorer.exe ..\TestB\Target

What exactly does this do? Here is the explanation:

1. "..\" tells Explorer to step on up in the directory tree:

C:\Templates\Template1\TestA -> C:\Templates\Template1

2. "TestB" tells Explorer to steop one down in the directory tree:

C:\Templates\Template1 -> C:\Templates\Template1\TestB

3. "Target" tells Explorer to open the file or folder "Target".
    Applying this knowledge, you could create a shortcut that makes Explorer step up two folders:

Explorer.exe ..\..\Template2\TestB\Target

C:\Templates\Template1\TestA

-> C:\Templates\Template1

-> C:\Templates

-> C:\Templates\Template2

-> C:\Templates\Template1\TestB

-> Open "Target"

Armed with this knowledge you can now fix your shortcut yourself.

Frederik Long, Oct 6, 2020
  4. shuggans Win User

How to make folder shortcuts act like folders inside File Open dialogs

Opening a Folder in VC++

Jack28,
    I would look into using a FolderBrowserDialog object in your application. This will open a dialog that lets you select a folder. Then use
    Code: FolderBrowserDialog1.selecteditem[/quote] to return the output string of the folder into a textbox, set the textbox enabled property to false so that they cannot type in the path, they have to get the path by selecting the folder using the folder browser.
    This will endure your program never throws a directory not found exception and crashing itself.
    This is what I have always doen and it works quite nicely.

shuggans, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

How to make folder shortcuts act like folders inside File Open dialogs

1. How to make folder shortcuts act like folders inside File Open dialogs - Similar Threads - folder shortcuts act

2. Onedrive folder acting like User system folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive folder acting like User system folder: I don't really know how to put in the right words, but here I come:I think I did something wrong in my recent Windows 11 22621.2428 fresh install because important folders like AppData of Adobe are now in the OneDrive folder.Is there any way to change it? I've never used...
  3. Onedrive folder acting like User system folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive folder acting like User system folder: I don't really know how to put in the right words, but here I come:I think I did something wrong in my recent Windows 11 22621.2428 fresh install because important folders like AppData of Adobe are now in the OneDrive folder.Is there any way to change it? I've never used...
  4. File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder: This is Windows 10. All my photos are under e:\pictures.In c:\users\sumiyo, I create a shortcut to e:\pictures, which I name pictures. When I double-click on shortcut c:\users\sumiyo\pictures, e:\pictures is opened. Similarly, when I enter c:\users\sumiyo\pictures in the file...
  5. File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder: This is Windows 10. All my photos are under e:\pictures.In c:\users\sumiyo, I create a shortcut to e:\pictures, which I name pictures. When I double-click on shortcut c:\users\sumiyo\pictures, e:\pictures is opened. Similarly, when I enter c:\users\sumiyo\pictures in the file...
  6. File Explorer shortcut to folder doesn't behave like a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Make folder shortcuts appear before folders?

Make folder shortcuts appear before folders?: Because of the allocation of my files to my hard drive and solid state drive and their respective storage space, I've had to move a lot of things around and create folder shortcuts to keep my method of navigating folders simple as I'm used to. The way I've always named...
  8. How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders?

How can i make File Explorer list shortcuts to folders with the folders?: I need to move some folders to the SD chip and leave a shortcut in the original folder on the SSD. That much is easy to do. Unfortunately, when using "Sort by Name", File Explorer lists the shortcuts with the files, not with the folders. I don't want to use "Group by Name"...
  9. Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files

Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files: I have a lot of files stored on a flash drive in briefcases. However, the open/save as dialogs do not display all available folders. Why is that? What can I do to correct this major headache?...
  10. How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path?: Hi, I have an issue where if I make shortcuts to specific folders located inside my User folder (Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc), I have an issue where the shortcuts (even on Quick Access) open up to a smart folder where the filepath is something like This PC/Desktop...