Windows 10: How to make GPT volume bootable

Discus and support How to make GPT volume bootable in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm not sure the history is too helpful as the question says it all, but here it is. On an Acer predator G3-605 I had a mSATA 60GB SSD as system disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mas21, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Mas21 Win User

How to make GPT volume bootable

I'm not sure the history is too helpful as the question says it all, but here it is.

On an Acer predator G3-605 I had a mSATA 60GB SSD as system disk that was too small. I bought a larger replacement and used Acronis True Image 2019 to clone it. The clone was successful in that the files all appear to be copied, but when examined using Disk Management I see that the disk is not shown as Active, Bootable.

Although I am certain that I at no time cloned from larger disk to smaller, neither disk now is bootable ! And the O&O image I took before I started this also, when used to restore from, produces a disk that is not bootable. Baffled.

Reinstalling Windows then restoring all documents and reinstalling all programs is clearly one way forward, but I just want something like DISKPART ACTIVE that would remedy the problem. I don't know enough to know why there is no such command (as far as I know) for GPT disks.

:)

Mas21, Aug 29, 2018

2. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Aug 29, 2018
  3. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Aug 29, 2018
  4. How to make GPT volume bootable

What are GPT Volumes and MBR Volumes?

What are the implications of having a GPT Volume and a MBR Volume on different drives. Can they work together? I am running both on different drives on a Windows 10 machine. I seem to be having partition problems on the GPT ones. What restrictions are
    on the GPT volume?

mcculleymike, Aug 29, 2018
Thema:

How to make GPT volume bootable

1. How to make GPT volume bootable - Similar Threads - GPT volume bootable

2. How to make a volume on a USB?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make a volume on a USB?: I have a USB thumb drive that is 128gb. Only 32gb was used. So I went into disk management and deleted the volume. Then it showed the full amount as unallocated. Then I tried to create "New Simple Volume". I expected a dialog to pop up to ask the size. But it didn't do that....
  3. diskpart clean with convert mbr to gpt makes it unrecoverable or deleting volume then...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    diskpart clean with convert mbr to gpt makes it unrecoverable or deleting volume then...: diskpart clean with convert mbr to gpt makes it unrecoverable or deleting volume then convert gpt to mbr is worse makes it unrecoverable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diskpart-clean-with-convert-mbr-to-gpt-makes-it/d4c927e7-5a09-482b-bbfa-502b9f9b60a0
  4. How to make a bootable USB ?

How to make a bootable USB ?: Please tell me how to make a bootable USB in Windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-a-bootable-usb/6aaa7f8c-9191-4161-ac8a-777788cc8dd4
  5. How to make Bootable USB PenDrive

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make Bootable USB PenDrive: I hope this blog helps you for creating Bootable USB PenDrive https://www.computercooltricks.com/post/how-to-make-bootable-usb-pendrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-bootable-usb-pendrive/f0c96b7b-3b00-41d6-8ffb-a745afb34042
  6. How to make recovered drive bootable

How to make recovered drive bootable: After a recent drive failure/system crash, I restored my C-Drive from an Acronis True Image Home backup, to a new drive. The restore operation completed successfully, however the system does not recognize the new drive as a boot drive. The backup was done as a file backup...
  7. How to make a clone disk bootable?

How to make a clone disk bootable?: My hard drive didn’t want to boot so I used Macrium Reflect 7 Free and made a clone of the hard drive to a USB external drive. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to boot my device from this cloned, external drive. I decided to install Macrium Reflect 7 Free on the SSD to use it as...
  8. How to make cloned drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to make cloned drive bootable?: I cloned C drive to G via Macrium Reflect sector by sector but cannot understand why the cloned SSD is not bootable. What commands do I run to enable the mirror G drive to boot just like C?The hardware is MSI Titan GT80 SLI running Windows 10. [img] The G drive needs to say...
  9. How to make SSD bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make SSD bootable: I have an emachine desktop. I bought a Toshiba 1GB SSD that operates through a USB cord. My intention is to clone my emachine hard drive to the SSD portable drive and then plug it into a desktop computer and boot from the portable SSD so I have access to all my programs with...
  10. How to make active@boot disk bootable on uefi/gpt?

How to make active@boot disk bootable on uefi/gpt?: Hey Guys Does anyone know how this software can be configured to boot from usb on uefi/gpt. I formatted usb using rufus on the relevant mode then dragged over the contents of another usb where it does work on bios/mbr set up. But when booting from it on the uefi set up...