Windows 10: How to make GUI apps work in wsl, and add them to your Start Menu (Crosspost from r/windows)

Discus and support How to make GUI apps work in wsl, and add them to your Start Menu (Crosspost from r/windows) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/erikdaderp [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hat2l7/how_to_make_gui_apps_work_in_wsl_and_add_them_to/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/erikdaderp, Jun 17, 2020.

1. How to make GUI apps work in wsl, and add them to your Start Menu (Crosspost from r/windows)

/u/erikdaderp, Jun 17, 2020

2. Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Jun 19, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Jun 19, 2020
  4. LOL
    lol Win User

How to make GUI apps work in wsl, and add them to your Start Menu (Crosspost from r/windows)

Blurry fonts on using Windows default scaling with WSL GUI applications (HiDPI)

Is there a way to fix blurry fonts in linux GUI applications when being run from WSL (Ubuntu 18.04) using the default Windows scaling? Things I have tried so far:

With Xming:

1. Tried disabling Windows scaling and setting it from linux side using GDK_DPI_SCALE=2.5, the problem with this is several things like context menu icons don't play nicely and are often not scaled. Without GDK_DPI_SCALE=2.5, applications are basically unusable since the text is extremely tiny.
    2. Tried installing all the fonts from C:\Windows\Fonts to C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\TTF and running mkfontscale, couldn't make it work this way either.
    3. Tried using VcXsrv, has the same issue.

Screenshots

• Clion:

How to make GUI apps work in wsl, and add them to your Start Menu (Crosspost from r/windows) 6H3Ej.png

• Comparison between emacs (WSL) and VS Code (Windows native)

How to make GUI apps work in wsl, and add them to your Start Menu (Crosspost from r/windows) [​IMG]

All the resources I have looked up so far:

1. Why are WSL GUI apps rendered with blurry fonts with Xming?: The answer here is specifically for just firefox and electron based applications.
    2. Gnome-Terminal blurry on Xming: Doesn't have anything helpful in particular either other than a suggestion to disable scaling and using something else than Xming.
    3. DPI issues running GUI programs on a 4K screen: Suggests using VcXsrv.

The main purpose of doing all this is to be able to run text editors(emacs)/IDE(Clion) from WSL. And, the reason I cannot install their windows equivalent is we develop only for linux.

Few system details:

Screen

4K (3840x2160) - 15.6"

OS

• Windows: Windows 10 Home v1803 Build: 17134.345
    • WSL: Ubuntu 18.04 (Linux username 4.4.0-17134-Microsoft #345-Microsoft Wed Sep 19 17:47:00 PST 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

Thema:

How to make GUI apps work in wsl, and add them to your Start Menu (Crosspost from r/windows)

1. How to make GUI apps work in wsl, and add them to your Start Menu (Crosspost from r/windows) - Similar Threads - GUI apps wsl

2. App not working from start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    App not working from start menu: Dear FriendsMy computer working on Windows 10 Pro Education, now i can't run any program from the start menu the app trying to load then disappear also the windows store can't be open. any suggestion to avoid formating and reinstallBest RegardMohanad...
  3. App not working from start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App not working from start menu: Dear FriendsMy computer working on Windows 10 Pro Education, now i can't run any program from the start menu the app trying to load then disappear also the windows store can't be open. any suggestion to avoid formating and reinstallBest RegardMohanad...
  4. App not working from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Couldn't use wsl gui

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Couldn't use wsl gui: [ATTACH] Please don't direct me to any other forum. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/couldnt-use-wsl-gui/43e9e847-7b06-42f5-9510-b0d1a5c43857
  6. Start menu tiles. How to make them the same background?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu tiles. How to make them the same background?: [ATTACH] Hi, I have a question: How do I make the start menu tiles have the same style? Now, there's one that has a black background. I don't know if it's relevant, but it's Google Chrome. I would like to have it the same style as the others (see screenshot for details of...
  7. Cannot run GUI app on WSL 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot run GUI app on WSL 2: I want to open some GUI apps on WSL 2 using Windows Insider 19640, but it doesn't work. For example, if I want to open gthumb in Ubuntu terminal, it throws an error: lemma@DESKTOP-TE65AIF:~$ xhost + xhost: unable to open display ":0" lemma@DESKTOP-TE65AIF:~$ gthumb...
  8. Getting "Critical Error" "Your start menu isn't working" after installing WSL

in Windows 10 Customization
    Getting "Critical Error" "Your start menu isn't working" after installing WSL: Hello, im getting the Start Menu error. I typed Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux on Powershell as Administrator, then restart the computer after installing it. Then I tried to install Ubuntu on windows but I can't access...
  9. Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon: [ATTACH]The only way I have found to get certain apps to create desktop icons, without having to dig through file explorers to find the launch them, is to drag them from the start menu. This causes all of these app icons to appear smaller inside the regular sized icon. The...
  10. how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu?: how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/how-do-i-add-an-app-from-my-computer-to-the-start/1cd07736-5445-458e-ba29-dedbc7af75e0