Windows 10: How to make laptop screen main display when external connected monitor

Discus and support How to make laptop screen main display when external connected monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi I have windows 10 OS. I am using Accer E5-573G,which have i3-5005U processor and Nvidia 920M GPU. Thing is that I am using external monitor as my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by akshayvinchu, Oct 1, 2020.

1. How to make laptop screen main display when external connected monitor

Hi
    I have windows 10 OS. I am using Accer E5-573G,which have i3-5005U processor and Nvidia 920M GPU. Thing is that I am using external monitor as my main display and laptop as extended.I don't have UPS While working when power outrage happen my external monitor goes off laptop switch to battery. Now thing is that I can not control settings to use my laptop as main screen. So How can I automatically switch between displays when external monitor goes off.

:)

akshayvinchu, Oct 1, 2020
  2. LemP Win User

connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

LemP, Oct 1, 2020
  3. Cbowers3 Win User
    Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Oct 1, 2020
  4. Chrise Win User

How to make laptop screen main display when external connected monitor

Laptop External Monitor Problem

Thank you once again, I will explain:

• Today 10th November 2016 - After monitor eventually successfully connects to my HP laptop, in my absence when the laptop/monitor powers off, I get NO re-connection problems during the day
    • Tomorrow 11th November 2016 - After laptop and monitor has been restarted following, shut-down, power offs(laptop + monitor) I will be stuck once again with exactly the same problem

In my display settings each morning, my HP laptop shows it is connected to my external monitor, however there is no display on the external monitor for a vast amount of time, just randomly suddenly appears.?

Chrise, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

How to make laptop screen main display when external connected monitor

1. How to make laptop screen main display when external connected monitor - Similar Threads - laptop screen main

2. Laptop Display Not Rotating Automatically When External Monitor Connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Display Not Rotating Automatically When External Monitor Connected: Hi all,So I was trying to use my laptop monitor in portrait mode while I have a monitor connected to the device but I noticed that the display would not auto rotate into the portrait mode. Setting the 'Display Orientation' was also greyed out.I was able to force it to rotate...
  3. Laptop Display Not Rotating Automatically When External Monitor Connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Display Not Rotating Automatically When External Monitor Connected: Hi all,So I was trying to use my laptop monitor in portrait mode while I have a monitor connected to the device but I noticed that the display would not auto rotate into the portrait mode. Setting the 'Display Orientation' was also greyed out.I was able to force it to rotate...
  4. Laptop lags only when external monitor is set as main display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop lags only when external monitor is set as main display: I know it's been fixed in Windows 11, but 11 has other problems and I don't like the look of it. The only solution is to reboot the laptop while the monitor is connected, which is annoying. Does this problem occur in Windows 7 ? I tried setting the preferred gpu in nvidia...
  5. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  6. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  7. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Unable to make Dell monitor as Main display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to make Dell monitor as Main display: I have a Dell monitor and a HDTV (720) connected to my Windows 10 computer. Dell is horizontal - DVI HDTV is vertical - HDMI When I turn on the computer and monitor is ON, Windows sees it as Display 1. Unfortunately when I turn on the TV, Windows assigns #1 to TV!!!! Rather...
  9. Can't make external monitor main display

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can't make external monitor main display: I have an Acer Aspire ES-15 Win 10 laptop and an external Hanns-G monitor which i would like to make the main display. I go to SETTINGS > DISPLAY and there is a tickbox that says "MAKE THIS MY MAIN DISPLAY" This is the option i want, however the tickbox is greyed out and i...
  10. Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display: My Acer Aspire ES-15 Windows 10 laptop won't let me make my external monitor the main display. I can find the option, but the tickbox is greyed out. 98956