Windows 10: How to make menu folders in All apps section?

Discus and support How to make menu folders in All apps section? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How does one make more folders like screenshot of All apps? The folders are leftover from 8.1 [img] 12362 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by sasafried, Aug 2, 2015.

1. sasafried Win User

How to make menu folders in All apps section?

How does one make more folders like screenshot of All apps?
    The folders are leftover from 8.1
    How to make menu folders in All apps section? [​IMG]

:)

sasafried, Aug 2, 2015

2. The folders in "All Apps" list in Start Menu are being replaced with weird and random icons

I installed Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (OS Build 16299.125) a few days ago, and since then I have been experiencing a weird issue as described below.

Problem Description:

The Start Menu folder icons are being replaced with weird icons occasionally as shown in the following screenshots:

Steps taken to try resolving the issue:

1. Re-installing display drivers.

2. Running the `sfc /scannow` command.

3. Rebuilding icon cache as described here.

Unfortunately, none of the aforementioned steps helped resolve the issue.

Furthermore, I had also experienced it prior to the current installation of Windows 10 (which was Creators Update).

I think I might have reached to a conclusion that it usually happens when Windows syncs something in the background. I didn't notice any change in Start menu folder icons even
    after working for long hours until I opened any first-party Windows app (Edge, Cortana, etc.) which involves syncing data in the background. For instance, it usually happens a few minutes after I use Microsoft Edge or Cortana.

For the sake of experimenting, I restarted my PC and used Cortana immediately after the restart. Surprisingly, I immediately noticed that the Start menu folder icons turned into oddly looking pictures as posted in the above screenshot.

Furthermore, I noticed the icons appear to repair themselves after several minutes (like 15-20 minutes or so). But, they reappear again after some time.

However, there has been no workaround found yet to resolve this issue. Apparently, until Microsoft figures out the issue in the Windows codebase, I will have to bear this annoying problem.

I have also reported the issue on Feedback Hub along with log files to help them diagnose the issue. So, make sure to upvote it so that Microsoft can be focussed
    to resolve it as early as possible.

If anybody experienced similar problem and could able to resolve it, I would appreciate if you could post the steps to resolve it.

Subhadeep Dey (SD), Aug 2, 2015
  3. The folders in "All Apps" list in Start Menu are being replaced with weird and random icons

If you have read the details, I mentioned that I had been facing this issue in the prior installation, too, which was Creators Update, by the way. Even after the clean install (Fall Creators Update this time), I have been facing the same issue.

That must be a bug.

Moreover, every related post I read, have been in Creators and Fall Creators updates only. Nobody faced this issue in earlier updates, including me.

Subhadeep Dey (SD), Aug 2, 2015
  4. sasafried Win User

sasafried, Aug 3, 2015
  5. sasafried Win User
    Ah.
    Looks like one can move stuff around, and the rule is only one folder deep, or shortcuts won't show up in menu.
    This is going to take awhile to hide some shortcuts, prune some others, and do a little flower arranging.
    Sign out and in to see progress. It can be done.

I had better make a backup of the two folders, before I do irreversible damage.
    Hope Bulldozer, from Winaero makes an app for this.*Smile Sure would be cool.

sasafried, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to make menu folders in All apps section? - Similar Threads - menu folders apps

2. Making App folders in Start Menu - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making App folders in Start Menu - Windows 11: I just purchased a new computer, preloaded with Win11. Now, I'm attempting to organize it. I know I should be able to make app folders in Start, just like I did in Win10.Everything I've read indicated that the version of Win11 that I have allows this option.When I try to drag...
  3. Making App folders in Start Menu - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making App folders in Start Menu - Windows 11: I just purchased a new computer, preloaded with Win11. Now, I'm attempting to organize it. I know I should be able to make app folders in Start, just like I did in Win10.Everything I've read indicated that the version of Win11 that I have allows this option.When I try to drag...
  4. No app available in "all owned" section in app store.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    No app available in "all owned" section in app store.: Hi I'm facing an issue with my Microsoft App Store. Yesterday my Microsoft App Store stopped working. I even tried to reset it and I contacted Microsoft support for it as well do you also tried from their end but it was not successful so they ask me do reset my PC which...
  5. how to remove the top apps section of the search menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to remove the top apps section of the search menu?: I tried right clicking the tiles but theres no option to remove submitted by /u/Several-Wear4223 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kg7n11/how_to_remove_the_top_apps_section_of_the_search/
  6. Is there a way to remove all programs from folders in the all apps start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to remove all programs from folders in the all apps start menu?: I don't like having to open folders when trying to find a program from the start menu; all I want is an alphabetised list of every program on my PC. I tried moving everything from the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder out of that folder, however...
  7. How to make start menu show apps instead of their folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make start menu show apps instead of their folders?: Hi, this is a simple non-issue question, if you click the start menu it shows the folders of some apps e.g. showing a "Foxit Reader" folder which only contains one item, the Foxit Reader app. Some others like Qbittorrent folder show the Qbittorrent app and the Uninstall icon,...
  8. Is there a way to make all apps within a folder to run elevated?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to make all apps within a folder to run elevated?: My question has to do with the folder SysInternals Suite. There are about 150 executable files in that folder. Is there a cmd prompt I can run that would make all the executables in the folder run with administrative rights? Rather than individually. 133586
  9. All apps menu

in Windows 10 Support
    All apps menu: Hi there i am new to these forums and i need help as i cant find help anywhere . My windows 10 start menu under all apps seems to be busted , i click all apps and they listed as they should be A to Z , but when i right click the only option i get is "Pin to start" and nothing...
  10. How to make list view default for all folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make list view default for all folders?: I've tried the "Apply to folders" button in the options menu, but it does not work, newly opened folders still open with "details" view... :/ Is there another way to make "list" view the default setting for all the folders? thanks for the help 73262