Windows 10: How to make my Laptop Display, the primary desktop display

Discus and support How to make my Laptop Display, the primary desktop display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Laptop, running the current version of Windows 10 - Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803. When I connect both my HDMI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JohnManilla, Oct 8, 2018.

1. How to make my Laptop Display, the primary desktop display

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Laptop, running the current version of Windows 10 - Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803.

When I connect both my HDMI attached display and my USB attached Display, via a docking station, the primary desktop moves to one of the attached displays, rather than remaining on the Laptop. Currently all 3 displays have the setting, Extend Desktop. In older versions of Windows, there was a setting that could be selected from the drop down that set the Primary Display. This seems to be missing.

I do have what looks like the Primary Display taskbar on the Laptop. However all of the icons for applications has moved to one of the attached displays.

Is their a setting to tell Windows 10, to leave the Application icons on the Laptop?

:)

JohnManilla, Oct 8, 2018
  2. Jetster Win User

Laptop display question

Confusing statement! You want to change the display on your laptop that died?

Is that correct?

How do you know its the display that's bad?

Just google "how to change display on a acer 5745"

Should get you to step by step instructions. But first make sure its the display that's bad

Jetster, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 Login Screen not respecting primary display. Identity Issues?

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows +X.

• Select Control panel.

• Click on Display.

• Select Change display settings at top left corner.

• Click on Identify then you will be able to check the primary display.
    Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Oct 8, 2018
  4. How to make my Laptop Display, the primary desktop display

Desktop icons do not display on primary screen

Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

Did you make any changes to your computer prior to this?

Method 1:

Uninstall and reinstall the Display adapter drivers make sure it’s updated. To download the latest version of drivers you may visit the manufacturer's website.

After you configure your computer with multiple monitors, your new primary display may be blank. The desktop icons and taskbar may appear on the secondary monitor instead of the new primary monitor.

To work around this problem, disable and re-enable the secondary monitor:

• Right-click a blank portion of your desktop, and then click Properties.
    • On the Settings tab, two monitor icons are displayed. Click the secondary monitor, click to clear the
      Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor check box, and then click
      Apply.
    • When you see the correct desktop settings displayed on the new primary monitor, click the secondary monitor, click to select the
      Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor check box, and then click
      Apply.
    Method 2:

Run SFC SCAN. To run SFC / SCANNOW please follow the steps.

a. Press Windows key + X and click Command Prompt.

b. Type the command: sfc /scannow and press
    Enter.

c. Restart the computer and check.

Note: The System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists please get back to us. We are here to assist you.

Joy Kemprai, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

How to make my Laptop Display, the primary desktop display

1. How to make my Laptop Display, the primary desktop display - Similar Threads - Laptop Display primary

2. My screen saver only displays to my laptop even when my monitor is set as the primary display.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My screen saver only displays to my laptop even when my monitor is set as the primary display.: I really wanted to have a screensaver that appears on my monitor but when it activated it only appears on my laptop and my monitor stays blank. I have set my monitor as my primary display but it still doesn't work. I have my monitor on extend and i like it that way, please...
  3. My screen saver only displays to my laptop even when my monitor is set as the primary display.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My screen saver only displays to my laptop even when my monitor is set as the primary display.: I really wanted to have a screensaver that appears on my monitor but when it activated it only appears on my laptop and my monitor stays blank. I have set my monitor as my primary display but it still doesn't work. I have my monitor on extend and i like it that way, please...
  4. Primary display is not recognizing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Primary display is not recognizing.: HI, I AM USING HP LAPTOP, I CONNECTED A SECONDARY MONITOR LG BY USING HDMI CABLE , FROM THERE THE SECONDARY MONITORS IS ACT AS AN PRIMARY DISPLAY THE LAPTOP DISPLAY IS NOT DISPLAYING AND ALSO THE WINDOWS NOT RECOGNIZING THE LAPTOP DISPLAY AS PRIMARY DISPALY, IN...
  5. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  6. Make secondary monitor primary from second display?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Make secondary monitor primary from second display?: So I'm using an egpu to play games on Windows 10. I can only see my external monitor however and my laptop screen is blank. I need to make my external monitor the primary display so I can use it, but I can't do it from the main display (laptop Screen) because it's blank....
  7. Weird problem with primary displays

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird problem with primary displays: Hi, I have 2 Acer 27" 2k 144hz monitors. I use them in extend mode with one in front of me and the other off to the right. I have to set the right display as my primary display because I like to be able to throw my mouse into the bottom right corner and hide my windows when I...
  8. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

in Windows 10 Customization
    No display on monitor when TV set as primary display: Issue: incorrect multiple display setting. Unable reset display setting with a monitor black screen. No sound from TV due to AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In. The monitor goes black because the TV is the primary display When VGA is connected to Syba VGA...
  9. TV primary display

in Windows 10 Customization
    TV primary display: Issue: incorrect multiple display setting. Unable reset display setting with a monitor black screen. No sound from TV due to AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In. The monitor goes black because the TV is the primary display When VGA is connected to Syba VGA...
  10. config external display as primary

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    config external display as primary: I have a Laptop and a combo with LCD Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, When I'm at my desk, I want to use the combo LCD Monitor as primary, and the Laptop screen as secondary display, but windows only support Laptop screen as primary, LCD as secondary. Is there any config in Win...