Windows 10: How to make my VB.NET application be the default app to open .txt files

Discus and support How to make my VB.NET application be the default app to open .txt files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sorry if I put this in the wrong place on the forum, I wasn't sure. : Hello, I want to make an application using VB.NET old, I know that can basically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BoyneGregg, Jun 4, 2020.

1. How to make my VB.NET application be the default app to open .txt files

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place on the forum, I wasn't sure. :

Hello, I want to make an application using VB.NET old, I know that can basically replace Notepad. I want to make it the default app to open .txt files instead of Notepad when I double-click them. I am not sure how to do this, though. Help would be appreciated.

:)

BoyneGregg, Jun 4, 2020

2. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Jun 4, 2020
  3. temp02 Win User
    .txt will open open in Command Prompt

I miss the Windows XP file association manager, it allowed you to select which of the commands would be executed when you double click a file (open, print, edit, etc...), it was removed since Vista.
    Some good people created the Types application, which you can use to select the default action of the file double click, all you go to do is select the "txt" extension from the list, right mouse click, hit "Properties" and on the "Actions" tab right click "open" command and assign "Default" to it.
    Hopefully this will solve your problems, although I think your PC is probably infected with some kind of malware that will continuously change that setting back, so I also advise installing some anti-virus like MSE or NOD-32 and preform a full scan.
    Good luck.

temp02, Jun 4, 2020
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

How to make my VB.NET application be the default app to open .txt files

Unable to alter default apps for opening files to specific applications

Hi Keegan Sanchez,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

I would like you to try the following steps:

· On the start menu, select settings.

· Select Apps and then select Default apps.

· To choose a default apps for each file type (for example, .mp3 files), scroll down to the file type and click on the app which is currently set as default.

· You will see the list of all the applications which can be associated with that file type. You may chose the application from that list.

Try with the above steps, and let us know, if you can alter default apps opening files, we look forward for your reply.

You can also refer this link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028161/windows-10-change-default-programs

Hope it helps,

Mithin EJ

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mithin_EJ, Jun 4, 2020
Thema:

How to make my VB.NET application be the default app to open .txt files

1. How to make my VB.NET application be the default app to open .txt files - Similar Threads - NET application default

2. .txt files not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .txt files not opening: So I've made a python script which basicly just created .txt files. And nothing happened, my program worked and suddenly today I cant open txt files because it sais Widnows cant find the file. But if I do Open With and then sth like Visual Studio Code, it works. And yes in...
  3. .txt files not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .txt files not opening: So I've made a python script which basicly just created .txt files. And nothing happened, my program worked and suddenly today I cant open txt files because it sais Widnows cant find the file. But if I do Open With and then sth like Visual Studio Code, it works. And yes in...
  4. My txt file cannot be opened

My txt file cannot be opened: I saved txt file with utf-8 to my server, editing it with crossing both window and samsung android phone.But the text file cannot be opened, and its capacity becomes 245kb to 1kb [I assume that texts were gone]Is this related with stability of txt file [when using in multiple...
  5. My txt file cannot be opened

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My txt file cannot be opened: I saved txt file with utf-8 to my server, editing it with crossing both window and samsung android phone.But the text file cannot be opened, and its capacity becomes 245kb to 1kb [I assume that texts were gone]Is this related with stability of txt file [when using in multiple...
  6. How to make .txt files open up as an active window?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make .txt files open up as an active window?: Hello, recently I made the switch to Windows 11 and I noticed this strange behaviour when opening .txt files from Windows search.In Windows 10 opening up a .txt file from the search would make it the new active window and put it in front of everything else, however in Windows...
  7. How to make .txt files open up as an active window?

How to make .txt files open up as an active window?: Hello, recently I made the switch to Windows 11 and I noticed this strange behaviour when opening .txt files from Windows search.In Windows 10 opening up a .txt file from the search would make it the new active window and put it in front of everything else, however in Windows...
  8. Can't set/change default app on .txt files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't set/change default app on .txt files: This started a few days ago and I reinstalled Windows earlier in the hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. I have no idea what caused this, either- Certain files, in particular any that can open in notepad (or sublime 3, as I prefer), just shows up as a blank icon and asks...
  9. Can't set default app for java and txt files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set default app for java and txt files: I reset the default apps to Microsoft recommended apps. Now when I try to change the default app for txt files. It is not changing and the logo is also not changing. I tried with java also, but it is not changing. Most of the apps it is changing. Even after changing to...
  10. Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt: The version of Windows 10 Home I am using will not allow me to assign TED Notepad as the default app for opening .txt files. I am instead stuck with the standard (and inferior) Notepad. To use TED Notepad, I am forced to invoke it manually every time I open a .txt file. A...