Windows 10: How to make one single .url open with a specific browser Windows 10

Discus and support How to make one single .url open with a specific browser Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; the most recent answers on this forum are from 2013, and I am hoping there is an updated answer for Windows 10. To open the .url using a browser... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DMb6, Oct 26, 2020.

1. DMb6 Win User

How to make one single .url open with a specific browser Windows 10

the most recent answers on this forum are from 2013, and I am hoping there is an updated answer for Windows 10.

To open the .url using a browser other than my default, I change the address of the shortcut to include the file path of the browser I want.

I changed the link to this:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://google.com

BUT

It seems as though Windows 10 always adds http:// after I have edited and saved the address, so when I open it, it fails.

Can this be avoided or changed?

PLEASE HELP

:)

2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Unable to set default browser

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

Any browser.

Already did the steps you suggested. It's some kind of bug where it's impossible to set a default browser at all.

I heard elsewhere from one other user
    that it seems to be a problem with upgrading to 10 on the SP3. Sounds very specifc.

guustavooo, Oct 26, 2020
  4. How to make one single .url open with a specific browser Windows 10

AOL home page on Windows 10 Edge and Chrome browsers

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know if this issue confined to specific website.

I suggest you to Maximize and Minimize the browser screen and check if it helps.

I suggest you to clear cache and cookies from the
    Microsoft Edge
    browser.

Steps:

• Open Microsoft Edge, click on
        More Action at the right top corner.

• Click on Settings, click on
        Choose what to clear under Clear browsing data.

• Select the Browsing history, caches and cookies and hit
        Clear.

• Close the browser and try to open it again.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

How to make one single .url open with a specific browser Windows 10

1. How to make one single .url open with a specific browser Windows 10 - Similar Threads - single url open

2. How to make random icon active with URL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make random icon active with URL: Hello "Brains Trust". I really hope this is not a silly question and if it is, well I can blame it on the fact that I live in Australia and we are a little bit "behind the times" down here which when you think about it, this is illogical as things tend to run "downhill" !!.I...
  3. How to stop the Credential Manager Single Sign On from opening in browser?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop the Credential Manager Single Sign On from opening in browser?: I have Windows 7 with Credential Manager and I use Firefox to browse. A while ago I looked up a social media account of someone I know personally in private window and since then the Credential Manager opens up Single Sign On with said persons name as a credential to be saved...
  4. How to stop the Credential Manager Single Sign On from opening in browser?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop the Credential Manager Single Sign On from opening in browser?: I have Windows 7 with Credential Manager and I use Firefox to browse. A while ago I looked up a social media account of someone I know personally in private window and since then the Credential Manager opens up Single Sign On with said persons name as a credential to be saved...
  5. How to open .URL files with any Browser in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to open .URL files with any Browser in Windows 10: A file with a .URL extension, aka website shortcut, is launched in a default browser when double-clicked. The .URL file can be created by quickly dragging the URL from the address bar to any empty space on the Desktop or in a folder. If you use multiple browsers and need to...
  6. How to stop a specific program from opening the browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop a specific program from opening the browser?: I am using GOM player as a media player, I am super comfortable with it that I don't want to ever change it, but it has one annoying feature which is opening their page on chrome after most of my watches (exactly when I close the GOM player window) How can I prevent only GOM...
  7. Is there a way to redirect a specific website URL without a browser extension in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to redirect a specific website URL without a browser extension in Windows 10?: Is there a way to redirect a specific website URL without a browser extension in Windows 10? For example, if somebody on my Windows 10 computer goes to https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4 then I want them to be automatically redirected to https://www.reddit.com/r/math/ How can I...
  8. How to make Windows 10 Task Manager open to a Specific Tab

in Windows 10 News
    How to make Windows 10 Task Manager open to a Specific Tab: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 Task Manager opens to the Processes tab by default, but you can now set the default tab to open. This is a new feature that has been added in Windows 10 v 1903 May 2019 Update. The Task [...] This post How to make Windows 10 Task Manager open to a...
  9. Opening specific website with a specific browser (other than Edge).

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening specific website with a specific browser (other than Edge).: I am trying to open a website (h2owirelessnow.com) with the TOR browser. Is there a way to select a link and have it open the website with a browser other than the default?...
  10. how does one make Chrome the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    how does one make Chrome the default browser: I have set Chrome to default browser and all seems to be well apart from one or even to burps. In certain emails, I click on an attachment and it will still open up Microsoft Edge. The question for today is ... how does one stop an attachment file stubbornly opening up Edge...