Windows 10: How to make removable disk act like permanent hard disk in Win 10 Pro?

Discus and support How to make removable disk act like permanent hard disk in Win 10 Pro? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm setting up a Toshiba Encore 2 Tablet for a family member. I've already updated it to run 32-bit Windows 10 Pro 1607. It came with a very small... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Thenin, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Thenin Win User

How to make removable disk act like permanent hard disk in Win 10 Pro?

I'm setting up a Toshiba Encore 2 Tablet for a family member. I've already updated it to run 32-bit Windows 10 Pro 1607. It came with a very small amount of internal EMCC storage (24 GB available, NTFS formatted), but fortunately it also includes a MicroSD slot, which I've populated as a 128 GB NTFS drive. I've successfully installed and run many applications to/from this MicroSD disk ("D:\").

But this disk apparently is seen by Windows as a removable drive and so it does NOT include a Recycle Bin and Windows refuses to list this disk as available to store Restore Points, both of which I want to enable. How can I accomplish this? Am I correct in suspecting that if I can somehow force Windows to see the D:\ drive as a non-removable hard drive, it will automatically setup or enable a Recycle Bin and also allow me to turn on System Protection for the drive? If not, how can I do what I want?

Thanks!

:)

Thenin, Jan 30, 2017
  2. TezSydney Win User

Removing redundant disk stops Win 10 from loading.

Have upgraded to Windows 10 which I like. When I remove redundant disk, Win 10 stops working 'til I replace redundant disk

Per Disk Management

Disk 0 is redundant drive I want to remove, shows as E: This originally had Win 7

Disk 1

Disk 2 has Win 10 programs, shows as c:

Disk 2 has 4 partitions. d: ; c: (Healthy, Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, Primary Partition); blank:Healthy Recovery Partition; f:

Disk 3

BIOS set to first boot from Disk 2

Background

Disk 0 was main disk using Win 7

Disk 2 a new drive bought at same time as Win 8 DVD install disks

Used upgrade feature of Win 8 (to preserve existing data) & installed Windows on Drive 2

Subsequently upgraded to Win 8.1 then Windows 10.

What changes do I have to make to my system so I remove redundant disk?

TezSydney, Jan 30, 2017
  3. SSD not being shown in disk management

Western Digital got back to me and this solved my problem:

Thank you for your continued response.

Please perform the steps mentioned below to run Diskpart. Please note that following steps will erase all the data on the SSD including partitions and boot sector.

1. Open Command Prompt, Click on Start - Run - Type cmd and hit Enter.

2. Type diskpart, and then press ENTER to open the diskpart tool.

3. Type list disk, and then press ENTER. A list of available hard disks is displayed.

4. Type sel disk #number, and then press ENTER. Number is the number of the hard disk that you want to clean. The hard disk is now selected.

5. Type det disk, and then press ENTER. A list of partitions on the hard disk is displayed. Use this information to verify that the correct disk is selected.

6. Make sure that the disk does not contain required data, type clean all, and then press ENTER to clean the disk. All the partitions and all the data on the disk is permanently removed.

7. Type exit, and then press ENTER to close

FLY LIK A MUG, Jan 30, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Not possible. Just backup drive regularly.

cereberus, Jan 30, 2017
  5. Thenin Win User
    Thanks for your reply, but the family member in question can't really perform backups and the like herself.

And for the record, however, it seems that at least some people have managed to trick Windows into treating at least some removable storage devices (typically removable USB flash drives and the like) as if they were fixed disks. I, myself, have a strong memory of using some third-party software to do this a while back, even though I don't remember the name of the tool.

Some people have solved this using hard links, but I don't want to go that route (at least until I've exhausted all other options). Others have used various hacks to flip the "removable" bit -- some using special software tools and others by installing special filter drivers that report to Windows that the device in question is a fixed disk.

Here's a link that describes a solution for certain device types and situations (but none of them address my highly specific needs of MicroSD under Windows 10):

http://agnipulse.com/2012/03/filter-drivers-removable-media-fixed-disk-windows/

But I still think there is probably a solution/hack that will accomplish what I need...

Thenin, Jan 30, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    the removeable bit solution has not worked for several years.

You could just buy a win to go certified flash drive which is seen as a fixed drive.

cereberus, Jan 30, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    There is a Recycle Bin on every External drive in Windows, but it is a hidden file. However, it is associated with the Recycle Bin on the C: drive. If you accidentally or on purpose delete a file on the external drive, you can restore it from the recycle bin on the C: drive.
    System Restore does not restore personal items (ie) Documents, Pictures, Music etc. It only restores Windows System Files, Programs and Drivers. So running a System Restore to restore accidentally deleted files on an external drive will do no good, as there are no Windows files on an external drive.
    You can set up an automatic backup to another drive, and if something is deleted, they can restore it from the backup.

spunk, Feb 1, 2017
  8. B1948J Win User

Uh, Spunk, I hesitate to contradict you but I don't think your statement is true. I've been battling this problem for years and just ran a test based on your statement,

"There is a Recycle Bin on every External drive in Windows, but it is a hidden file. However, it is associated with the Recycle Bin on the C: drive. If you accidentally or on purpose delete a file on the external drive, you can restore it from the recycle bin on the C: drive."

I have a Surface Pro 3 with a micro SD card in it's slot. I modified the Windows explorer view options to include hidden and system files. I saved a test text file in the root level folder and then deleted it. The delete message was, "are you sure you want to permanently delete this file?" I said yes and the file is gone. It's not in the C:\RecycleBin. There is no recycle bin on the sd card. I've searched repeatedly for a solution to this. It's the only thing that keeps me from using the sd card. I've lost things I couldn't recover - even with file recovery software.

B1948J, Jan 7, 2018
  9. antspants Win User
    Not quite sure if I understand you or know what you're getting at. "permanently delete this file" means exactly that, you certainly aren't going to find it in any recycle bin.

antspants, Jan 7, 2018
  10. B1948J Win User
    The point is that this message ONLY occurs if there is no recycle bin. Spunk said, "There is a recycle bin on every External drive in Windows...". And while I'm well aware that MS differentiates between "External" and "SD" drives in the strictest sense, the original question revolved around, "MicroSD" drives. You really should read the whole thread. The frustration comes from the fact that Windows doesn't set up and manage a recycle bin on SD cards and the original question asks if there is some bit to change withing Windows to allow this to happen. And yes, it is obvious that the user should pay thoughtful attention to a message saying the file will be permanently deleted. It is also human to hit the damn enter key as a reflex and regret it a millisecond later. I assume that was the one of the original reasons for a recycle bin to exist.

I have a pretty good handle on the definition of "permanently". But since the data is still out there on the SD card with the file table entry marked as "deleted" - it wasn't really so "permanent", was it? It's just a hassle to have to use a file recovery utility to recover it - and hopefully it wasn't overwritten in the meantime.

Here's another definition for you:
    2. thoughtful (adj.)

acting with or showing thought and good sense

B1948J, Jan 7, 2018
  11. antspants Win User
    Yes, thank you for your follow up response to my response. I apologize for not assuming you could speak English. There are many Nationalities on this forum. Hence my definition.

antspants, Jan 7, 2018
  12. Hi spunk,

You are correct to point out System Restore tool does not restore users personal files but we can use ShadowExplorer program to restore lost or damaged files from Shadow Copies. However, it is by no means a replacement for traditional backups!

FreeBooter, Jan 7, 2018
  13. How to make removable disk act like permanent hard disk in Win 10 Pro?

Just a thought. Right click on the C:recycle bin and check that the option to select to permanently delete files instead of send to the recycle bin hasn't somehow become checked

sportsfan148, Jan 7, 2018
  14. B1948J Win User
    No. If that were checked no deleted files would ever go into the Recycle Bin.

This issue has been outstanding since SD cards started being used. I've seen it addressed on other forums too. I've never seen a solution. And believe me, I've tried.

I bought a Surface Pro 3 several years ago and was in hopes I could use the built-in microSD slot as the D: drive for documents; keeping the C: drive for programs. I set it up that way initially but got so burned so many times with inadvertent deletes that now I hardly use the D: drive at all. Between the touch screen and clumsy fingers on the touch pad, it's incredibly easy to make a mistake. The microSD slot a huge waste of what could have been a great resource.

B1948J, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to make removable disk act like permanent hard disk in Win 10 Pro? - Similar Threads - removable disk act

2. Laptop acts like there is no data on disk after repluging.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop acts like there is no data on disk after repluging.: This all is happening on a Dell Inspirion 5502, windows 10, BIOS Version 1.28.0, 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB OM3PDP3-AD NVMe KDI drive, let me know if you need anything more specific, don't know what is important here hardware-wise. I was sent...
  3. Laptop acts like there is no data on disk after repluging.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop acts like there is no data on disk after repluging.: This all is happening on a Dell Inspirion 5502, windows 10, BIOS Version 1.28.0, 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB OM3PDP3-AD NVMe KDI drive, let me know if you need anything more specific, don't know what is important here hardware-wise. I was sent...
  4. How to make USB recognized as "removable drive" instead of "Hard Disk Drives"?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make USB recognized as "removable drive" instead of "Hard Disk Drives"?: I need USB that recognized as "removable drive". But I think my two USBs are recognized as "Hard Disk Drives". Because USBs are not working in programs that require "removable drive USB"Is there a good way?...
  5. How to make USB recognized as "removable drive" instead of "Hard Disk Drives"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make USB recognized as "removable drive" instead of "Hard Disk Drives"?: I need USB that recognized as "removable drive". But I think my two USBs are recognized as "Hard Disk Drives". Because USBs are not working in programs that require "removable drive USB"Is there a good way?...
  6. How to make USB recognized as "removable drive" instead of "Hard Disk Drives"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to spin down hard disk permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to spin down hard disk permanently?: I've used revospin,hdd scan and crystal disk info to spin it down. But it automatically spins up after some times. Any way to permanently spin down the hdd? (Hdd doesn't contain os. It's for storage) submitted by /u/pink_wiz [link] [comments]...
  8. Removing and reinstalling a hard disk with Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing and reinstalling a hard disk with Win 10?: Hallo had bought a used PC...and the seller had to send the hard disk with Win 10 extra... When it comes to me, can I reinstall the hard drive as normal and use it without any problems? Or do I have to do something new? Hardware would be the same... Festplatte mit Win 10...
  9. How to removed "Removable Disk" but there is not on Disk Management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to removed "Removable Disk" but there is not on Disk Management: There is no removable disk on my PC but still showing on This PC. How to remove? Thanks [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-removed-removable-disk-but-there-is-not-on/f72e7bb8-a381-4cc7-ab48-26f6218fc35d"
  10. How to make a disk drive "removable"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make a disk drive "removable": I have several devices - some USB flash memory, some USB external drives - that have the Removable Media bit set to non-removable. (And no, I don't know if it's actually just one bit but it seems to be documented as "RMB".) I am working with a program that is sensitive to...