Windows 10: How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path?

Discus and support How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have an issue where if I make shortcuts to specific folders located inside my User folder (Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc), I have an issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Shamoy, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Shamoy Win User

How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path?

Hi, I have an issue where if I make shortcuts to specific folders located inside my User folder (Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc), I have an issue where the shortcuts (even on Quick Access) open up to a smart folder where the filepath is something like This PC/Desktop instead of C:/Users/User/Desktop.

How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path? [​IMG]

I would not prefer it to be like above ^

I would prefer if all my shortcuts (including Quick access) would lead to a folder path like this.

How can I completely eliminate this smart folder libraries thing and make every single folder inside the User show full file path?

:)

Shamoy, Aug 30, 2017
  2. odennehy Win User

How toget the full file path ALL the time, just not depending on how you get to the folder.

I understand how to set "show the full file path" in folders > options. But it doesn't seem to work well with the default libraries Pictures, Video, Music. If I work my way down to these folder, say starts at the C: drive, works great.

But if I take any of the shortcuts there, say File Explorer > Pictures, then click in the adderss bar, rather than a proper file path, I get the shortcut "Pictures".

This is big deal when you are trying to share that true file path with say an upload program like Flickr, or a backup program, etc.

While the shortcut is "cute" .. I want the real location!

odennehy, Aug 30, 2017
  3. DuaneZopp Win User
    How to add a Library in Windows 10?

To address basic operation of how this works, I will share my confusion, which came from trying to add a new library or a location (folder) to an existing library.

If you have "Libraries" shown, as previously discussed, right-click "Libraries" and select "New", then select "Library". With your Libraries displayed in the navigation pane, you can open another File Explorer, right-click and drag the desired folder to
    the desired Library; when you release the right mouse button, you should have the option to select "Include in library". You may also copy and paste the path into the address bar.

For individual documents, the same function is provided by "Create shortcuts here".

DuaneZopp, Aug 30, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Unfortunately you can't.

It was mentioned in another thread recently (see Display full path for special folders - Windows 10 Forums)

It is just how current version (both 1703 Creators Update and latest insider build) work.

I find it annoying also - especially if you have moved folders from their default locations. Perhaps we should suggest a change to Microsoft via the feedback app but I've not done that yet as I uninstalled it by mistake ...

5. Ztruker Win User
    If you click in the address (bread crumb) it then converts to the actual address , i.e. C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop

Ztruker, Aug 31, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    Unfortunately this doesn't work if you do it from quick access - only if you do it from "This PC"

A design decision I guess.

7. Ztruker Win User
    Rats, did not realize that.

Ztruker, Sep 1, 2017
  8. Shamoy Win User

Horrible design decision from Microsoft...

Shamoy, Sep 1, 2017
  9. Stevekir Win User
    What's all this about breadcrumbs? Where are they, what do they look like, what do they do, are they wholemeal or white bread. A picture please.

Stevekir, Sep 1, 2017
  10. Shamoy Win User
    A breadcrumb is a directory with arrows like C: > Users > Administrator > Photos as opposed to a file path like C:\Users\Administrator\Photos. For example look above at some of the screenshots where in the address bar it looks like > This PC > Local Disk ( C: ) > Users. Breadcrumbs can also exist in flowcharts and app navigation steps or even forums.

Shamoy, Sep 1, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    The "Breadcrumb Trail" for this thread:

Edwin, Sep 2, 2017
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Look at my post #3. The first image shows the bread crumb (trail), the 2nd shows a normal address path. With the bread crumb, you can click on any part of it and go there, it is really handy.

It shows Code: This PC > Lenovo_C(CHow to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path? :) > Users > Public > Public Desktop[/quote] You can click on any part of it to go there. Try it, it's really useful.

Ztruker, Sep 2, 2017
  13. Stevekir Win User

Got it! I have discovered that by clicking on the folder at the left of the address bar (clip), the file path changes to D: \DOCUMENTS\Adobe\dynamiclinkmediaserver, so revealing that the folder is on my D:drive, not on C as a newcomer to my pc might think. Useful.

Incidentally, when trying to make a clip of D:\DOCUMENTS\Adobe\dynamiclinkmediaserver using the Snipping Tool, it looked like it did that but the clip actually showed the file path as in the clip, not the D:\ ... version. Odd.

Stevekir, Sep 2, 2017
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Clicking anyhere on the address itself also shows you the actual path.
    Try Print Screen or Shift Print Screen then paste into Paint to get a screen shot.

Ztruker, Sep 3, 2017
  15. Shamoy Win User
    Sadly that doesn't change the problem with This PC still being the root directory of the breadcrumbs.

Shamoy, Sep 7, 2017
Thema:

1. How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path? - Similar Threads - shortcuts open full

2. Make file shortcut but NOT change the path

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Make file shortcut but NOT change the path: I want to print files for work but I'm wanting to put a shortcut on my desktop. When I do this and print it shows a different path than the original file (obviously) But can I make this shortcut in a way it pulls from the original path. And actually prints and shows the...
  3. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path: In explorer, if I search for something, say "Fallout4*.ini" in my Steam library, my search results in Details view look like this:NameDate modifiedType SizeFolderFallout4_Default.ini13/10/2021 15:05Configuration settings3 KBFallout 4...
  4. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path: In explorer, if I search for something, say "Fallout4*.ini" in my Steam library, my search results in Details view look like this:NameDate modifiedType SizeFolderFallout4_Default.ini13/10/2021 15:05Configuration settings3 KBFallout 4...
  5. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Folder Path "\..\..\"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Path "\..\..\": Could you please let me know what the slash and period "\..\..\" notation mean in a folder path:C:\Users\Username\Documents\Project\..\..\SubProject\Module.basas I'm trying to understand and old VB6 project that errors out on the path?Thank you.DeuceSactown, USA...
  7. Shortcut: Change path to open specific file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut: Change path to open specific file.: I encountered this on a forum years ago. In a shortcut's Properties it is possible to add a specific file for the program to open to by default. Can't remember the correct syntax. The program: "C:\Program Files\paint.net\PaintDotNet.exe" The file I want to use:...
  8. How can I make a specific shortcut for a control panel path?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I make a specific shortcut for a control panel path?: I know you can right click desktop > new > shortcut > "ms-settings:security" But I want it to take me to the control panel, specifically to this path: "Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance" Is this possible? Thanks! submitted by /u/thedreamlan6...
  9. How to change the folder path for Documents, Music, etc libraries?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change the folder path for Documents, Music, etc libraries?: I plan on having an SSD for the OS and a separate hard drive for programs/documents, music, etc. What I don't know is how exactly to change the directory for my Documents, music, videos, pictures, downloads libraries. Can anyone explain how to do this? This is for Windows...
  10. Display full path for special folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Display full path for special folders: Hi, I recently migrated to Win10 Home Edition x64 from Win7. One thing that is absolutely maddening to me is the inability of seeing the full path in the navigation bar for special folders like "Downloads", "Desktop", "Images" and many more where just their names are...