Windows 10: How to make SSD bootable

Discus and support How to make SSD bootable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an emachine desktop. I bought a Toshiba 1GB SSD that operates through a USB cord. My intention is to clone my emachine hard drive to the SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dahermit, May 8, 2016.

1. dahermit Win User

How to make SSD bootable

I have an emachine desktop. I bought a Toshiba 1GB SSD that operates through a USB cord. My intention is to clone my emachine hard drive to the SSD portable drive and then plug it into a desktop computer and boot from the portable SSD so I have access to all my programs with the laptop as I do with the desktop.

My emachine desktop came as a Windows 7, but has been upgraded to Windows 10 via internet download. I have no Windows 10 installation disks.

My question: How can I make my Solid State Drive bootable? Will just cloning from my emachine transfer Windows 10 and make SSD bootable?

:)

dahermit, May 8, 2016

2. Is it possible to restore a system image (W10 and created with the W7 backup function) to an GPT partition?

Hi all,

I have converted an empty SSD to GPT. Now I would like to copy a
    system image created by W7 Image backup function from a MBR disk to this SSD.

Is this possible and how coulld I make the partition UEFI bootable?

TIA.

Jörg Debus, May 8, 2016
  3. SSD formating for transwer

Sorry, but I don't know what you are referring to. The old computer had a SSD with W10. The new notebook has a UEFI type BIOS and since the old computer had a different type of BIOS that is not compatible with the new computer, the SSD that was booting perfectly
    on the old machine doesn't boot on the new computer although it is recognized.

My question is how to make the SSD drive to boot? Is there a way of making it bootable?

peter.t1013, May 8, 2016
  4. How to make SSD bootable

If you use a proper cloning application, like Macrium Reflect Free, then the new SSD should be bootable when it is completed.

DeaconFrost, May 8, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just to clarify, are you wanting to keep the SSD on a USB connection and be able to boot two computers from it? That requires that you create a Windows to Go disk:
    [Tutorial]Windows 8 to Go without Enterprise Edition - Microsoft (Windows) Support - Neowin Forums

Method should be the same, just use a Windows 10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft Tech Bench:
    Tech Bench

Will that also work if he keeps the SSD on the USB adapter and wants to boot multiple computers with it?

NavyLCDR, May 8, 2016
  6. dahermit Win User
    No, I will refresh my SSD via the USB on my desktop from time to time, but I want the bootable clone on my SSD so I can plug it into my laptop when the need should arise.

dahermit, May 8, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, DeaconFrost's post #2 should be true, so long as both computers have a digital entitlement activation for the same version of Windows 10. Otherwise when you move the SSD from the desktop to the laptop Windows 10 will not stay activated.

NavyLCDR, May 8, 2016
  8. How to make SSD bootable

I was going on the assumption you were just replacing your SSD with a new one. I misread your original post.

There are a lot of variables at work here, but you would need two license for any licensed software. What you are trying to do is overcomplicating a simply situation. I'd put the new SSD in the tower, and set each computer up to do whatever it is they need to do. If you need an application on both, such as MS Word, you'll need two license for it.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to make SSD bootable

1. How to make SSD bootable - Similar Threads - SSD bootable

2. Tuf gaming b650-plus wifi motherboard doesn't show mp600 core xt nvme ssd 2tb as bootable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tuf gaming b650-plus wifi motherboard doesn't show mp600 core xt nvme ssd 2tb as bootable: Heyo, so a bit complicated problem here. First of all, i had the smart idea to change my windows 10 to my new M.2 4.0 ssd corsair mp600 core xt 2tb, because its faster and has much more space, and would be generally a good idea. It went about as good as i expected, which is...
  3. Tuf gaming b650-plus wifi motherboard doesn't show mp600 core xt nvme ssd 2tb as bootable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tuf gaming b650-plus wifi motherboard doesn't show mp600 core xt nvme ssd 2tb as bootable: Heyo, so a bit complicated problem here. First of all, i had the smart idea to change my windows 10 to my new M.2 4.0 ssd corsair mp600 core xt 2tb, because its faster and has much more space, and would be generally a good idea. It went about as good as i expected, which is...
  4. Tuf gaming b650-plus wifi motherboard doesn't show mp600 core xt nvme ssd 2tb as bootable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I was upgrade my ssd and when i open my laptop and it says ,,no bootable device insert and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was upgrade my ssd and when i open my laptop and it says ,,no bootable device insert and...: Laptop: acer aspire timeline uProcessor: intel core i3Ssd: kingstom 250 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-was-upgrade-my-ssd-and-when-i-open-my-laptop-and/fd70e73a-39b9-409d-9eab-506f9a4ae17d
  6. I was upgrade my ssd and when i open my laptop and it says ,,no bootable device insert and...

I was upgrade my ssd and when i open my laptop and it says ,,no bootable device insert and...: Laptop: acer aspire timeline uProcessor: intel core i3Ssd: kingstom 250 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-was-upgrade-my-ssd-and-when-i-open-my-laptop-and/fd70e73a-39b9-409d-9eab-506f9a4ae17d
  7. I was upgrade my ssd and when i open my laptop and it says ,,no bootable device insert and...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either: My laptop was a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011, it was old but did what i needed it to do. To bandaid it over the years i removed the old hard drive and installed a 512 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA connection with Windows 10 which was leaps and bounds faster. After years of...
  9. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either: My laptop was a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011, it was old but did what i needed it to do. To bandaid it over the years i removed the old hard drive and installed a 512 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA connection with Windows 10 which was leaps and bounds faster. After years of...
  10. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade

Users found this page by searching for:

1. make a win10 ssd bootable

2. make ssd bootable win 10

3. how to make ssd bootable

4. make ssd bootable,
  5. installing an SSD and making it a bootable drive on w10,
  6. how to create bootable ssd,
  7. download bootable windows 10 to solid state drive,
  8. how to make ssd bootable windows running,
  9. ssd bootable,
  10. ssd bootable windows