Windows 10: How to make view/sort options of File Explorer search results stick

Discus and support How to make view/sort options of File Explorer search results stick in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File explorer simply instantly forgets about the view & sort options I apply to a search. I search something in a folder, Explorer lists the results in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Esoppant, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Esoppant Win User

How to make view/sort options of File Explorer search results stick

File explorer simply instantly forgets about the view & sort options I apply to a search. I search something in a folder, Explorer lists the results in Contents view, I click the bottom-right icon and list them as large thumbnails, then I hit back & search again or view a result in its own folder, and hit back, and search again, and results are immediately back to Contents view. How do I make it so that Windows remembers my view options for searches instead of defaulting to Contents view every time?Oddly enough, this does not always happen. Sometimes like 20% of the time, when I hi

:)

Esoppant, Jul 23, 2021

2. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jul 23, 2021
  3. How do I change the default view for Windows 10 File Explorer search results?

After visiting several Windows 10 'Help' forums, I managed to fix the problem without help in any forum, by experimentation:

• Open Windows Explorer and write anything in the search box and hit enter (the search results are in Content view)
    • Manually set the search results in view format that you want (using right-click, View ―> Layout options, or whatever)
    • Click on the View tab and select Options on the far right and click on the Change folder and search options
    • Select the Search tab and add any option (say, Include compressed files) and click on Apply
    • Close Options panel, close Windows Explorer and reopen. Repeat step 1 and voil , the view format of your search results is back the way you like it. You can repeat steps 3 and 4 to undo the change you made to the Search options.
    Now, I haven't rebooted, but if it doesn't stick after a reboot, I'll come back for a slice of humble pie.

Paul

Paul_Saute, Jul 23, 2021
  4. thejohnz Win User

How to I change the default view/sort order for Windows Explorer search results to Xtra Large Icons sorted by Name?

This question is nothing to do with Windows Explorer Folder View definitions (Document/Music/Video etc) but is about Windows Explorer saved searches - search-ms files.

Initial searches always display Content View sorted in some weird order - regardless of the View of the folder being searched. This seems to be the Windows Explorer default and I've tested it many times.

It is incredibly annoying as I have hundreds of search-ms files operating on my 80,000 plus images and I always want to see search results as Xtra Large Icons in Ascending Name order.

I change the View to Xtra Large Icons sorted by Name and save the search as a search-ms file - the text of which seems to contain the new definition I gave it.

Typically as soon as I save the search the screen refreshes back to the original Content/Weird Order but if I redefine View/Sort and re-save it a second time the second refresh is typically correct. Sometimes it takes a 3rd go-round to "stick".

Once the definition sticks the search-ms file will normally keep displaying correctly until one random day it doesn't - reverting back to the the default of Content/Weird Order - and the whole process has to be repeated.

I'm beyond caring why Windows Explorer is not referring to the search-ms file's defined View/Sort Order. How to I change the default view/sort order for Windows Explorer search results to Xtra Large Icons sorted by Ascending Name so that even if my definition
    is being ignored the default view will now show me what I want.

Thanks

Thanks

thejohnz, Jul 23, 2021
Thema:

1. How to make view/sort options of File Explorer search results stick - Similar Threads - view sort options

2. View option on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    View option on File Explorer: Upon opening file explorer, I want my file explorer to go to This PC/c:/users/me/documents, like it has until recently. Apparently, an update from win 11 changed this. I don’t want to go to my Registry. This should be a simple option to choose.Changing the Folder Options...
  3. File Explorer - stick to standard view options

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer - stick to standard view options: In Windows 10 File Explorer, I'm used to the Details View usual format with columns Name, Type, Date Created, Date Modified, Size, etc. But anytime a folder contains media files like audio or video, I get only columns like Album, Title, Contributing Artists, etc., when I need...
  4. File explorer sort search results by relevance

File explorer sort search results by relevance: How could I sort the search results in file explorer by relevance to the syntax phrase that I wrote in the search bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-sort-search-results-by-relevance/f70d3cbe-21b8-47fe-97d7-05071ad222ae
  5. file explorer view options

file explorer view options: View layout options are not showing in file explorer. This means when looking at pictures I change the current selection, eg from large icon to extra large, or to details to see when the photos were downloaded from my camera. How can I restore the layout options?...
  6. Issue with file explorer search results content view

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue with file explorer search results content view: I have an issue with the Windows search function. When I searched for file contents on a local machine, and go to the contents view I can see the preview of the content in the search result like so; [ATTACH] but when I try this on a network drive, the content preview is...
  7. "File Explorer>View>Sort by" Not Working

"File Explorer>View>Sort by" Not Working: (I posted this before, but only one person responded. But unfortunately, they didn't have the solution.) The drop down list in File Explorer>View>Sort by doesn't work in some folders! This happened after my latest Windows 10 update; Windows 10, version 1903. Before that, it...
  8. File Explorer>View>Sort By Issues

File Explorer>View>Sort By Issues: The drop down list in File Explorer>View>Sort doesn't work in every folder! This happened after my "Windows 10, version 1903" update. Before that, it was fine. Does anyone have a solution?...
  9. Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer

in Cortana
    Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer: Results show up in "Content" view by default, which is annoying for me and quite a few folks. To set the default view to "Details", add this registry key and values in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\...
  10. View Poll Results: Stick or Twist?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Stick or Twist?: Without going into a rant about how buggy v1709 had been, I just decided I had to roll back and install 1703. I decided to defer the upgrade to a year. Don't care, I will not install 1709 until they fix some of the issues I had been facing. So my question is and this...