Windows 10: How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10

Discus and support How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you have installed an operating system on VirtualBox, you might have faced an issue where the VirtualBox screen is too small. In this post, we will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 30, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10

If you have installed an operating system on VirtualBox, you might have faced an issue where the VirtualBox screen is too small. In this post, we will show you how to make the VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10. By default, VirtualBox displays the installed operating system in a window mode. Even if you maximize the Virtual Machine, you will not be able to access it in full-screen mode.

How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 make-virtualbox-VM-full-screen-Windows_10-500x357.png

The Full-screen mode option available in the View menu. But before using this feature, you have to apply some settings to the VirtualBox. If you use this mode directly, you will get the Virtual Machine in the middle screen with black boundaries as shown in the below screenshot.

How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 make-virtualbox-VM-full-screen-1-500x258.png

To make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10, you have to install VirtualBox Guest Additions on the Virtual Machine. Follow the below-listed steps to install it.

1] After starting the Virtual Machine (installed OS) in VirtualBox, go to “Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD image.”

How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 make-virtualbox-VM-full-screen-2-500x355.png

Read: VirtualBox Failed to open a session for the virtual machine.

2] Now, open the File Explorer in the Virtual Machine and go to This PC. There you will find the “CD Drive (D): VirtualBox Guest Additions.” Double-click to open it.

How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 make-virtualbox-VM-full-screen_3.png

3] When you open it, you will see three applications. You have to install the application that is supported by your host system’s architecture.

First, I tried installing the “VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64” VBox Guest Addition but received an error that my system’s architecture does not support the installation of this file.

After that, I tried installing the “VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86” VBox Guest Addition and it worked. Hence, if you get any error on installing amd64 VB Guest Addition, try installing another one.

How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 make-virtualbox-VM-full-screen-4.png

Read: VirtualBox failed to register and open Hard Disk image file.

4] When the installation gets completed, restart the Virtual Machine. For this, simply click on Finish. You need not restart your host or main Windows 10 operating system. After a restart, go to “View > Full-screen mode” and you will get the Virtual machine in full-screen mode.

How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 make-virtualbox-VM-full-screen-6.png

This is all about how you can make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10. Hope this article helped you solve the issue.

Related links that may help you:

How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 make-virtualbox-VM-full-screen-Windows_10.png
    This article How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 30, 2021
  2. GC1949 Win User

VirtualBox VM activation of Preview build 17763.104

I had issues with my Linux Mint 18.3 host using a VirtualBox VM of Windows 10 pro preview build, so I followed the procedure to "export" The Windows 10 VM and also saved the original VM intact in a separate folder on my data drive. After a clean install
    of Linux Mint 19 and installing the latest version of VirtualBox available in the repos I then imported the VM of Windows 10 that I had previously exported. This went smoothly enough, but the Windows 10 (Build 17763.104) now says it is not activated - whereas
    it has previously been activated for years through successive preview builds and even different versions of Linux Mint and VirtualBox versions (I don't recall ever having to activate it). I thought maybe the "export" of the VM was the issue, so copied back
    the ORIGINAL and UNCHANGED Windows 10 VM folder and opened that in VirtualBox. Now even that original Windows 10 Pro Preview build is no longer activated despite NO CHANGES to the VM itself from the previous hour before I reinstalled Linux Mint and VirtualBox.

How do I activate this? I have never had to before and have used this VM for years with every Insider preview update sent out.

GC1949, Apr 30, 2021
  3. Virtualbox Edge on Windows 10 VMs (free ones)

I recently downloaded the Windows 10 Edge vm to install into VirtualBox. By default it has 40GB of disk space and I used VBoxManage (virtual box path command) to increase that size on the default vmdk to 80GB and import it as a vdi. For some reason though
    the Windows VM still reads 40GB, while VirtualBox says 80GB. Is the 40GB space limit hard coded into the .ova somehow?

spectre1982, Apr 30, 2021
  4. PuB_Evo Win User

Sun VirtualBox

Been there and done that. Followed through enabling the 3D acceleration and as told i hit the "Install Guest Addition" to install the drivers in the guest operating system, after that i was told to reboot the VirtualBox and came to the blue windows XP shutdown screen... It was on that screen for more then 30mins and so i force a shutdown on the original Win7 OS to et rid of the VirtualBox OS shutdown screen. Rebooted and tested VirtualBox with the game and got the same error message as shown in my first post.

EDIT: Gone through all the steps till i came to rebooting the VirtualBox OS. After the system coming up normally, i checked if the 3D acceleration is enabled by running dxdiag. Here is what i get...

How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 DirectX.png

Need advise to fix 3D acceleration so i can go on. Thank you so much!

PuB_Evo, Apr 30, 2021
Thema:

1. How to make VirtualBox VM full screen in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - VirtualBox full screen

2. windows 11 cant be installed because VM Virtualbox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 cant be installed because VM Virtualbox: I cant install windows 11 ist says that i have to delete VM Virtualbox but i already did it. I also tried to install und delete ist again but ist the same problem.The picture is in german but it says that i have to delete it manual because its not compatible with windows 11....
  3. windows 11 cant be installed because VM Virtualbox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 cant be installed because VM Virtualbox: I cant install windows 11 ist says that i have to delete VM Virtualbox but i already did it. I also tried to install und delete ist again but ist the same problem.The picture is in german but it says that i have to delete it manual because its not compatible with windows 11....
  4. How to install Fedora on Oracle VM VirtualBox

in Windows 10 News
    How to install Fedora on Oracle VM VirtualBox: [ATTACH]Fedora is a Linux Operating System that is very useful for software developers, cloud engineers, and tech enthusiasts in general. Even though you can install Fedora alongside your current operating system, it makes more sense to create a virtual machine and install...
  5. How to Install Windows 11 on Oracle VM VirtualBox

in Windows 10 News
    How to Install Windows 11 on Oracle VM VirtualBox: [ATTACH]Windows 11 is one of the hottest topics in the world of computers, and many are willing to test this much-awaited Operating System. The best way to test it is on a Virtual Machine. Hence, we brought to you this guide to install Windows 11 on Oracle VM VirtualBox. Can...
  6. Oracle VM Virtualbox is not compatible with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Oracle VM Virtualbox is not compatible with Windows 10: I have been asked by Microsoft to uninstall Oracle VM VirtualBox as it is not compatible with Windows 10. I have no clue, whether to uninstall it or not or how to proceed further.? Because without uninstalling, I can't update windows 10. Any help would be appreciated....
  7. Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare: Hello there, I'm trying to run a windows VM (tried 7 and 10) with 64-bit on virtualbox. But it stucks in the "starting windows" screen (very unsmoothly animations). The vm's specs are: 8GB RAM, 2 CPUs, 128MB VRAM (Max), 32GB VHD (should be enough). All the other settings...
  8. installing vm VirtualBox extension pack

in Windows 10 Customization
    installing vm VirtualBox extension pack: I am trying to download a vm VirtualBox extension pack from VirtualBox site, but when it is downloaded it cannot be installed. when I ope it through an error message says: " this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. please install an app...
  9. Make any window full screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Make any window full screen: Hi, Is there a way to make any window full screen without using the tablet mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/make-any-window-full-screen/5532a2b7-ad8b-448f-a5c1-8343dd241d40
  10. Orcle VM VirtualBox suddenly not working.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Orcle VM VirtualBox suddenly not working.: I have been using this Oracle software since W7, after moving to W10 (home edition) two years ago, everything was working fine. Then I put it aside for a while but now that I want to use it again I receive the error E_FAIL (80004005) Component MachineWrap. I thought it was...