Windows 10: How to make W10 Pro Notify me Updates are available?

Discus and support How to make W10 Pro Notify me Updates are available? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am running W10 Pro build 1709 build 16299.192 and would like it to notify me when updates are available and give me the choice to not download now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JJG10, Jan 21, 2018.

1. JJG10 Win User

How to make W10 Pro Notify me Updates are available?

I am running W10 Pro build 1709 build 16299.192 and would like it to notify me when updates are available and give me the choice to not download now and not install them until I am ready to do so. I am totally confused by what I read about getting or not getting and installing them using Regedit ot selections in Settings.

Will someone please tell me how to do this?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Jan 21, 2018
  2. bjm__ Win User

W10 automatic silent updates after W10 upgrade.

I have not installed Windows Updates via Automatic for years.

I have selectively on my time table on my terms installed WinSecurity updates.

W10 Home,..... I may Schedule Restart.

W10 Pro,.... I may change via GPE Auto to Notify

W10 Enterprise,..... I may do what ever I want.

If W10 forced updates is Microsoft's gift to security then why can Pro change Auto to Notify and why can Enterprise do what ever.

W10 default peer to peer alone is enough for me to express harsh feelings against W10.

W10 default telemetry alone is enough for me to express harsh feelings against W10.

Monetizing my activity is far from protecting me.

Hey, if forced updates is a break-thru towards protection.

What took M$ so long.

Oh, and why can Enterprise do what ever Enterprise want.

Seems those darn corporate enterprises are getting hacked more that little ol' me.

bjm__, Jan 21, 2018
  3. KJabs Win User
    Windows 10 Pro Update restarted without notifying me even though I have it set to notify

I had a Surface Pro 3 sleeping and hadn't touched it for a day or so. Despite having Windows Update set to Notify "to schedule restart" it did NOT notify me and I lost a LOT of work.

Additionally, now it wants to do more updates and the radio button to schedule a time is grayed out and it will not let me schedule!

THIS IS BAD! It is enough to make me return/sell all of my Windows devices if it happens again. I do NOT like Apple, but at least they can save the state of all open programs during a restart!!

Is there any way to make Windows 10 Pro NOT FORCE an update/restart?

KJabs, Jan 21, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

If you check Option One, Step 7 in this TenForums tutorial: Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates , you'll find the information you need to do what it sounds like you want to do on your PC. OTOH, you could disable WU completely and use the Windows Update MiniTool to check for and download only those updates that you explicitly allow instead. Either way, I think it will take care of your situation.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 21, 2018
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Besides disabling WU like ED pointed out, you'll need a tool to check updates.

Look at this post by topgundcp and tell, if this is it?

Other than this, there are some third party apps that doing just what you want:
    - Secunia PSI (Flexera now) at Majorgeeks was once Must have for checking , if Windows updates are up to date. Windows update by itself today is good, so most of us don't need it. Still worth for checking out
    - Belarc adivisor will check if you have every update installed. It does much more, but you'll tell if you need it...

There are some more - others will fill it up.
    Both product are free for personal use and clean of any malware.

AndreTen, Jan 21, 2018
  6. JJG10 Win User
    If I follow Brink's suggestion about disabling Windows Update until I manually enable it, will Windows Defender still get updated?
    If it does then I am happy to disable it and enabled it periodically when I want to check for updates. I am not a fan of using third party stuff to alter the innards of Windows. That is one of my hang-ups!

Thanks again.

JJG10, Jan 22, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    You can still run updates for Defender through the Defender interface: click on the Home icon (left), click on Protection Updates, click on the "Check for Updates" button. Done! I'm not sure if disabling WU affects this, but if you try it, you'll find out pretty darn quickly. Do please share your results with us here, won't you?
    Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to make W10 Pro Notify me Updates are available? - Similar Threads - W10 Pro Notify

2. Q: How are you notified of updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Q: How are you notified of updates?: How are you notified of updates to Windows 10 and updates to apps in the Windows Store. submitted by /u/blitz4 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/do05dg/q_how_are_you_notified_of_updates/
  3. Transferring W10 Pro license to me?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring W10 Pro license to me?: Hello, My neighbor passed away recently. His family gave me his pc which is running Windows 10 Pro installed on a refurb pc. I own a pc with Win 10 Home OEM. Is there a way for me to transfer the product key & license to myself and upgrade my pc to W10 Pro? Thanks,...
  4. I want win 10 to notify me when updates are available, and leave it to my control when to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want win 10 to notify me when updates are available, and leave it to my control when to...: From variations of this question I get the following (all unsatisfactory) answers. 1) pay $99 for win 10 pro 2) go back to win 8 or whatever 3) turn off updates entirely 4) set preferred times to update (still a surprise) I want to get the necessary updates and install...
  5. unable to make system image on W10 PRO

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    unable to make system image on W10 PRO: Many attempts to make the image backup fails. Most fails said to be error on source or target. Tested both devices and found no errors. Backups to internal HD and USB HD failed. Occasionally failure mode is just stall. I have spent days on this and am stymied and annoyed....
  6. unable to make system image on W10 PRO

in Windows 10 Support
    unable to make system image on W10 PRO: Many attempts to make the image backup fails. Most fails said to be error on source or target. Tested both devices and found no errors. Backups to internal HD and USB HD failed. Occasionally failure mode is just stall. I have spent days on this and am stymied and annoyed....
  7. How to make sure Windows notifies me for everything it's supposed to

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make sure Windows notifies me for everything it's supposed to: I noticed recently that my computer started doing this strange thing with the notifications ever since I reinstalled a program I had on my laptop called qBittorrent where it would never notify me for specific things that happen such as a torrent or a file on Chrome finished...
  8. How to notify me of a change in WiFi station

in Windows 10 Support
    How to notify me of a change in WiFi station: When i am outside i use WiFi on my laptop, but when i come home i connect it to the ethernet cable and forget to turn off my WiFi. then people can steal my passwords. Is there a way to remind me that there is a new WiFi station on air or something else? if i will see the...
  9. Windows Update Stopped Notifying Me

Windows Update Stopped Notifying Me: About six months after upgrading to W10, Windows Update stopped notifying me in advance about updates. How do I fix this glitch, so I know when to expect extra long reboots? 97958
  10. Windows Update Doesn't Notify Me

Windows Update Doesn't Notify Me: Last November, or maybe even October, Windows Update stopped notifying me about updates, so I've been checking them manually whenever ESET notifies me about them. The 1511 upgrade didn't correct the situation, and neither did resetting Windows. Is there something I can do to...