Windows 10: How to make win+r box remember previous commands

Discus and support How to make win+r box remember previous commands in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I always found it annoying when ever I pressed Win+R to enter a run command that it did not remember previous commands. I put this down to a bug as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cereberus, Oct 7, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

How to make win+r box remember previous commands

I always found it annoying when ever I pressed Win+R to enter a run command that it did not remember previous commands.

I put this down to a bug as other devices remembered them ok.

I finally found out the cause.

There is a switch in the Start Menu to display recently viewed apps in the Start Menu.

If you turn that switch off, it turns off the Win+R box being able to remember conmands as well!

Worse still, this switch is sometimes greyed out in off position, if you have set the switch in Privacy, General to allow Windows to track app launches to off!

What seriously dumb design - who on earth thought this was a good idea, especially as in the past in W7/8, it just remembered.

So for win+r to remember, I have to have the annoying recent apps in Start Menu!!!!

:)

cereberus, Oct 7, 2018
  2. sgage Win User

Win+R does not remember previous text entries

It's remembering previous commands here...

sgage, Oct 7, 2018
  3. CountMike Win User

Just tried and it does remember last and all previous ones.

CountMike, Oct 7, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

I have noticed a minor irritation ie as title says, Win+R is not remembering previous commands - is anybody else getting this issue?

cereberus, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. How to make win+r box remember previous commands - Similar Threads - win+r box remember

2. How to make Windows 10 NEVER remember a password?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to make Windows 10 NEVER remember a password?: Hi Readers, I want to make my Windows 10 never to store any passwords for any WiFi network. How do I configure that within Windows 10 PRO? Thx for readin, Jasper...
  3. Run dialog box doesn't remember history

in Windows 10 Support
    Run dialog box doesn't remember history: [img] All of a sudden my Run dialog box is empty. The icons on the left of the image are just part of my desktop. Also, if I put in something like "control printers" or gpedit.msc, they open, but the Run dialog box is empty the next time. I haven't made any updates recently,...
  4. Make Outlook 2016 Remember Window Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Make Outlook 2016 Remember Window Size: I prefer not to have Outlook take up my whole screen. For some reason, since reinstalling Windows and Office 365, I cannot get Outlook to remember the window size no matter what I do. Things I've tried: control + clicking red X, right clicking on the title bar and choosing...
  5. How to: Remember log on password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to: Remember log on password?: I have a ASUS X54C laptop running Win 10 Pro 64-bit Recently I needed to reset my laptop, and now I find that I need to enter my log-on password every time I boot up after a shutdown (e.g. I shut down my laptop every night). My laptop is always in my private study (it...
  6. Make Outlook 2016 Remember Window Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Make Outlook 2016 Remember Window Size: I prefer not to have Outlook take up my whole screen. For some reason, since reinstalling Windows and Office 365, I cannot get Outlook to remember the window size no matter what I do. Things I've tried: control + clicking red X, right clicking on the title bar and choosing...
  7. RUN command does not remember MRUs

in Windows 10 Support
    RUN command does not remember MRUs: In my upgrade of Win7 to Win10 (winver 1511 build 10586), the RUN command remembers its MRU. However, in a fresh install of Win10 (winver 10240), RUN does NOT remember its MRUs. Importing the relevant registry key from the first into the second, does NOT solve the problem....
  8. Win 10 Not Remembering Default Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Not Remembering Default Programs: I'm experiencing a problem with images attached to an email. Each time I click on an image to view it, I am presented with a menu asking me to select the default program. I check the 'default' box, I select Picasa photo viewer, and I see the photo. But, I have to do...
  9. How to make command console customizations available system-wide

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make command console customizations available system-wide: I have created a batch file with various customizations for my command prompt (e.g. Doskey macros etc.). I have a shortcut to cmd.exe that adds the path to my batch file as an argument so that my batch file gets loaded with the command console window. However, this...
  10. File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer window doesn't remember it's previous position: I believe this question has been asked before, so please forgive me for this indulgence. I just migrated with Win 10, a clean install not an upgrade. Every time I open the file explorer, it opens to a location slightly down and to the right. Over a few cycles, the same widow...