Windows 10: How to make Windows 10 Explorer to preview files w/o extension?

Discus and support How to make Windows 10 Explorer to preview files w/o extension? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I found several links for making Windows Explorer to preview the content of files (in the Preview Pane) with a given filename extension, like ".log" or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LaszloHars, Apr 10, 2019.

1. How to make Windows 10 Explorer to preview files w/o extension?

I found several links for making Windows Explorer to preview the content of files (in the Preview Pane) with a given filename extension, like ".log" or ".me". However, many open source projects contain text files, like makefile, readme, contributors... without file name extension. I'd like to see their content in the Preview Pane.

I saw registry edits suggested, but they don't seem to work with Windows-10 (editing "HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Classes\\."). Is there a trick to specify preview options in the registry for files which have no file name extension?

Similar questions have been posted to SuperUser.com, StackOverflow and reddit, but they did not receive any or any relevant or working answer. Some users suggested renaming the files to have ".txt" extension, but it interferes with version controls, may conflict with existing files, and takes longer than a preview would. Another option could be replacing Explorer e.g. with TotalCommander, which has a built-in preview function, showing the content of this, and many more file types. That would not work in a corporate environment, with standardized Windows installations.

:)

LaszloHars, Apr 10, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 10, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Apr 10, 2019
  4. How to make Windows 10 Explorer to preview files w/o extension?

preview/details pane in explorer

Hi,

Setting the Preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer will apply to all folders. If you wish to hide the Preview pane in File Explorer, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Tap on View tab.
    • Click Preview Pane to view/hide it.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Apr 10, 2019
Thema:

How to make Windows 10 Explorer to preview files w/o extension?

1. How to make Windows 10 Explorer to preview files w/o extension? - Similar Threads - Explorer preview files

2. How to redirect Windows 10 File Search Result to Text File? (w/o CMD)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to redirect Windows 10 File Search Result to Text File? (w/o CMD): I tried VBScript (thinking Microsoft allows CMD output-redirect) w/o success. My company restrict 3rd party apps. 183507
  3. How to Make User-Agent Changes Persist W/O Adding an Extension

in Browsers and Email
    How to Make User-Agent Changes Persist W/O Adding an Extension: I know that we can change the UA of the Edge Chromium through Dev Tools > Performance Tab > Network Conditions ... but this is obviously fleeting as once you close that tab or the Dev Tools or basically anything that takes you away from that interface, the changes are lost....
  4. How to make The app "files - preview" your default files explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to make The app "files - preview" your default files explorer: How can you make the app thats in Microsoft store search for this - files preview how do I make this my default files explorer I want this so whenever i download something from a browser it should come up as files preview...
  5. how to change extension-specific handlers for Explorer's Preview Pane?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to change extension-specific handlers for Explorer's Preview Pane?: In the Explorer view, I normally have the file list in Details format and the Preview Pane turned on. A few associations have recently become broken, in that the preview pane shows nothing, but file with other extensions show their normal previews. All other Explorer...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer previews

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 File Explorer previews: I would like to disable file previews and the drop-down arrow to show sub-folders while in the Details pane of File Explorer. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-explorer-previews/02dd9253-d88c-4253-a673-bfc04c719266
  7. file explorer preview php extension files

file explorer preview php extension files: File Explorer cannot preview files with extension php, which are text files, please advise how to do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-preview-php-extension-files/d500ed8e-4e38-4c30-8517-f27180e54e16
  8. Can Windows 10 open Medical files .DCM File Extension w/o additional software

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can Windows 10 open Medical files .DCM File Extension w/o additional software: Can Windows 10 open Medical files .DCM File Extension without needing to install special, or any additional; software or needing to upload files to the clouds? Could the .DCM File Extension be open in a browser without installing an extension. If a program is needed, what...
  9. file explorer extensions

file explorer extensions: I recently transferred my files from an old laptop to a new one. All of my files have a new extension similar to the following: (2019_03_15 16_15_59 UTC). What happened, what did I do wrong?...
  10. How To Make A Bullet Point W/O Numeric Keypad?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Make A Bullet Point W/O Numeric Keypad?: I looked here but perhaps it is still to early in the morning for me to comprehend what I am reading: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+do+you...146-6__&ia=web I am used to a keypad and all I needed to do was to hold down the alt key and hit 0149 and presto a bullet point would...