Windows 10: How to make windows defender scan extensions (add-ons) of any web browser installed in my...

Discus and support How to make windows defender scan extensions (add-ons) of any web browser installed in my... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have been a windows user for much time and I think that windows defender provides excellent security. But, recently some things happened which has... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CT me, Feb 13, 2019.

1. CT me Win User

How to make windows defender scan extensions (add-ons) of any web browser installed in my...

I have been a windows user for much time and I think that windows defender provides excellent security. But, recently some things happened which has created a doubt in my mind about the level of security provided by windows defender. What happened was:

1. As I use Firefox browser, so I installed an extension (add-on) which is very much popular (according to the number of users that was shown beside the extension name), but some days later, Mozilla disabled that extension saying that, the extension is known to cause security and stability issues, and I also came to know from somewhere that this extension was retrieving the web browser's history of the users and keeping on the their (the extension maker's) servers without the users being informed. But if all this was happening, then why didn't windows defender alert me? And how can I make sure that windows defender scans extensions of every browser that is installed in my system and also the extensions of other softwares (like visual studio).
    2. And as I also use chrome sometimes, so there is an extension (which I have disabled currently) which silently closed any random opened tab of the browser, and if there are too many tabs open then one cannot know whether anything happened. So how can I also stop these kind of things from happening if I don't know that what an extension (add-on) is doing?
    3. And [especially considering the 1st point above] to prevent this happening again, how to know that, what type of data (if any) is being transmitted by an application, that is installed in my computer and to where is the data going?

:)

CT me, Feb 13, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

New Windows Defender Browser Protection extension for Google Chrome

Source:

Brink, Feb 13, 2019
  3. Cannot install extensions in Edge

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with installing Extension in Microsoft Edge. I will certainly help you with the issue.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps:

• Launch your Edge browser and click on the 3-dotted
      More link. You will see an Extensions item.

• Click on Extensions to open the following panel. Here you will see a
      Get extensions from the Store link.

• Currently, extensions like Amazon Assistant, Evernote Web Clipper, LastPass, Mouse Gestures, Office Online, OneNote Web Clipper, Page Analyzer, Pinterest Pin It Button, Reddit Enhancement
      Suite, Save to Pocket, Translate for Microsoft Edge, etc., are available for Edge.

• Clicking on one of them will open the Windows Store page which offers this extension.

• Click on the
      Free button to install it.

• To enable the extension, click on
      Turn it on. If you do not want to enable it, click on Keep it off. Once you do this, you will see this entry in the list of extensions installed. Here you see only one as I have installed only one extension.

• Once the Edge extension is enabled, you will see it added to your panel. Right-clicking on it will offer you two options:

• Show next to address bar

• Manage.

• You can toggle the switch to On/Off position – for the Pin It button as well as for showing it next to the address bar.

• You will also see buttons that show you more
      Options and one that lets you Uninstall the Edge extension.

• Clicking on
      Options will show additional settings offered for that plugin in a new browser tab that will open automatically.

• Clicking on
      Uninstall will uninstall the Edge extension.

• The settings and options available for each extension, will of course differ.

Hope this information helps.

Please get back to us with an update on the issue, we will be happy to help.

Ankit Rajput, Feb 13, 2019
  4. How to make windows defender scan extensions (add-ons) of any web browser installed in my...

Cannot install Edge extension Translator

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps:

• Launch your Edge browser and click on the 3-dotted
      More link. You will see an Extensions item.

• Click on Extensions to open the following panel. Here you will see a
      Get extensions from the Store link.

• Currently, extensions like Amazon Assistant, Evernote Web Clipper, LastPass, Mouse Gestures, Office Online, OneNote Web Clipper, Page Analyzer, Pinterest Pin It Button, Reddit Enhancement
      Suite, Save to Pocket, Translate for Microsoft Edge, etc., are available for Edge.

• Clicking on one of them will open the Windows Store page which offers this extension.

• Click on the
      Free button to install it.

• To enable the extension, click on
      Turn it on. If you do not want to enable it, click on Keep it off. Once you do this, you will see this entry in the list of extensions installed. Here you see only one as I have installed only one extension.

• Once the Edge extension is enabled, you will see it added to your panel. Right-clicking on it will offer you two options:

• Show next to address bar

• Manage.

• You can toggle the switch to On/Off position – for the Pin It button as well as for showing it next to the address bar.

• You will also see buttons that show you more
      Options and one that lets you Uninstall the Edge extension.

• Clicking on
      Options will show additional settings offered for that plugin in a new browser tab that will open automatically.

• Clicking on
      Uninstall will uninstall the Edge extension.

• The settings and options available for each extension, will of course differ.

Hope this information helps.

Please get back to us with an update on the issue, we will be happy to help.

Ankit Rajput, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

How to make windows defender scan extensions (add-ons) of any web browser installed in my...

1. How to make windows defender scan extensions (add-ons) of any web browser installed in my... - Similar Threads - defender scan extensions

2. ADD ONS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ADD ONS: I HAVE DOWNLOADED, UNZIPPED AND INSTALLED TWO ADD ONS INTO THE COMMUNITY FOLDER..THEY SHOW IN THE FOLDER BUT.....THEY SHOW IN THE CONTENT MANAGER AS NOT INSTALLED. I HAVE DELETED THEM FROM THE COMMUNITY FOLDER AND RE-INSTALLED, I HAVE TRIED ALL THINGS WITH NO LUCK.I DO HAVE...
  3. ADD ONS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ADD ONS: I HAVE DOWNLOADED, UNZIPPED AND INSTALLED TWO ADD ONS INTO THE COMMUNITY FOLDER..THEY SHOW IN THE FOLDER BUT.....THEY SHOW IN THE CONTENT MANAGER AS NOT INSTALLED. I HAVE DELETED THEM FROM THE COMMUNITY FOLDER AND RE-INSTALLED, I HAVE TRIED ALL THINGS WITH NO LUCK.I DO HAVE...
  4. how do i stop windows defender for bugging me to remove add ons from browsers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do i stop windows defender for bugging me to remove add ons from browsers?: [ATTACH] I keep getting this pestering anoyance telling me to stop this from bugging me? thanks https://preview.redd.it/2zwm1jlfocu81.png?width=247&format=png&auto=webp&s=e8b5a99aa7b54f594c77843bd73084969e269c71 submitted by /u/Lailamuller [link] [comments]...
  5. Any web protection for browser for windows defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Any web protection for browser for windows defender?: I would like to know on whether windows defender offers any web protection for browser or not Browser : Edge, FireFox, Chrome Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  6. Windows defender and web browsers

Windows defender and web browsers: Does Windows Defender still work if I am using Google Chrome browser and not Microsoft edge browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-and-web-browsers/2dc163a1-c1c2-48bf-bbcb-3d55f684ad28"
  7. Windows defender and web browsers

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows defender and web browsers: Does Windows Defender still work if I am using Google Chrome browser and not Microsoft edge browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-and-web-browsers/4172a413-9b2b-4ecd-8194-71df489e38b9"
  8. add ons for the top of my browser. The names show in my themes/extensions site but no...

in Windows 10 Customization
    add ons for the top of my browser. The names show in my themes/extensions site but no...: I downloaded and installed add ons for the top of my browser. The names show in my themes /extensions site but no images of what they are. this is on windows pc....
  9. how to remove add ons

how to remove add ons: how to remove add ons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-remove-add-ons/0e9aab37-bf7f-40a7-845b-4869605b6ee3
  10. Add-ons For Edge Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Add-ons For Edge Browser: Hi *Party from where I can download Add-ons For Edge Browser ? 19060

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender add ons