Windows 10: how to make word 2010 default app for .doc extensions

Discus and support how to make word 2010 default app for .doc extensions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; how to make word 2010 default app for .doc extensions I tried settings, default apps by file type but the only options are Word 2016 and Look for an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by klesmiley, May 17, 2019.

1. klesmiley Win User

how to make word 2010 default app for .doc extensions

I tried settings, default apps by file type but the only options are Word 2016 and Look for an app in the store. Word 2010 is already installed on my computer so how to set it as default

:)

klesmiley, May 17, 2019
  2. chrish Win User

How do I set Word 2010 as the default program for word documents?

I originally had Microsoft Word 2010 installed on Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 and purchased Office 365. So I have both Word 2010 and 2016 installed.

I am having issues with compatibility, see How do I get Word 2016 to render text the same way that World 2010 did.

In the meantime, I would like to set the default app for .doc and .docx to be Word 2010. I have done this in previous versions of Windows but can't see to get it work in Windows 10 (they have really dumbed it down). Here is what I have tried:

Use Right-click

1. Right-click on a .doc file and select "Open With"
    2. A dialog display with "How do you want to open this file?" Word 2016 is an option. Other options include "Look for an app in the Store" and "More apps". There is also an option for "Always use this app to open .doc files.
    3. I click on More apps/ Word 2010 is not one of the options! But Wordpad is. The last option in the list is "Look for another app on this PC"
    4. I click the "Always use this app to open .doc files" and click on "Look for another app on this PC"
    5. I find Word 2010 on the file system. However, Word 2016 is launched!!!

I also tried several options in "Default Programs" settings. Anytime I tried to select Word 2010, it would continue to use Word 2016.

chrish, May 17, 2019
  3. How to set a default app for extensions?

Hi Tyler,

Which app are you trying to set for .res extension?

Please try to check the app you are trying to set. Is it feasible with .res extension?

I suggest performing the steps below and check if it fixes the problem.

Go to Setting - Apps - Click on Default apps - Click on Choose default apps by file type.

On the left, search for .res extension

Across .res extension, tap on Choose a default

Try browsing for the app.

Martin Jenkinss, May 17, 2019
  4. how to make word 2010 default app for .doc extensions

Cant set the default app for extensions

Hi Alex,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We'd like to get more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know which app you are trying to set for
      .res extension?
    2. Could you check the app you are trying to set, if it is feasible with
      .res extension?

You may follow the steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

1. Go to Setting >
      Apps.
    2. Click on Default apps.
    3. Click on Choose default apps by file type.
    4. Look for .res extension on the left pane.
    5. Across .res extension, click on
      Choose a default.
    6. Try browsing for the app.

Hope it helps.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Manjunath_H, May 17, 2019
Thema:

1. how to make word 2010 default app for .doc extensions - Similar Threads - word 2010 default

2. Setting default Word version for opening docs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting default Word version for opening docs: Hello, How do I choose a the default version of Word with which to open docs? Currently I have 2013 and 2019 installed, and the files are opened in 2013 by default. How do I set them so they're opened by 2019? When I go to "Open with" from the context menu and select Word...
  3. Word 2010

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word 2010: Word 2010 only prints in black. How do I get it to work as before with colors too? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-2010/8a9d6c5a-e526-4942-9159-3ec6d6d0e45f
  4. Word docs

Word docs: all my docs have changed to wordpad - i need word - how do i change them all back to word https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-docs/14b35def-7d81-4b36-a574-49820a43b449
  5. 2010 word

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2010 word: I am writing a personal accounts story of my life for family when I pass. I have placed it on thumb drives for each individual…all in all works fairly well. The problem I have, I am using word 2010, when I hit the review tab and choose final…so all formatting is hidden, I...
  6. Deleted apps for word 2010, excel 2010, powerpoint 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted apps for word 2010, excel 2010, powerpoint 2010: My PC had to be reset today. After I noticed my Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010 & Powerpoint 2010 were gone. I do have my original receipt but not the original packaging. How can I reinstall these apps....
  7. Default App extensions

Default App extensions: my ex_ extension got switch to Adobe Acrobat, & I would like to switch it back to its original "Open With", but at this point do not know what the original "Open With" was. This is in Windows 10 & keeps referring to look for an App in the store.......
  8. word docs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    word docs: I just renewed my $99 subscription, and yet I still can NOT access my MSWord docs to edit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-docs/4c72539b-d66b-48de-afbc-94febd147180
  9. How to set a default app for extensions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set a default app for extensions?: Please help me to set the default app for the extension .res I don’t know how to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-a-default-app-for-extensions/b513235b-4f4d-4292-b37e-000ac4d12d6e"
  10. how to open this doc as word doc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to open this doc as word doc?: This document was originally opened as a notepad document, so it opens that way always. I would like to change it to a Word document. Is that possible?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. make word default app extensions