Windows 10: How to make your Windows look clean

Discus and support How to make your Windows look clean in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On a whim I decided to clean up how my Windows looks and I was so thrilled I had to share it with u guys. This is assuming you are coming from a blank... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Qwertyfish01, Dec 12, 2019.

1. How to make your Windows look clean

On a whim I decided to clean up how my Windows looks and I was so thrilled I had to share it with u guys. This is assuming you are coming from a blank copy of Windows 10 1909. Sorry if this is in the wrong place

Before & after Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Using paint.net I made a bunch of my own icons which were white-on-transparent and 512x512. I can upload them if you guys want. I saved them as a png, which I converted to .ico files online.

Taskbar buttons are at C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar .

Start menu items can be in multiple folders. The best way to find them is just to right click the tile and go to More>Open file location. You can't change the icon of UWP apps. In these folders, you can not only change the icons but also rename them, move them in/out of folders (Personally it annoys me when I'm in the start menu program list and have to open a folder to get to my app.), and delete them from the list altogether. They won't be uninstalled, but you won't see them in the list.

Side note: I found that for some apps like Google Chrome it is possible to restore the default tile color & change the icon normally by going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application and renaming "chrome.VisualElementsManifest.xml" to "chrome.VisualElementsManifest.xml-asdf" but this resets after you restart your PC. If you never restart your computer this won't be a problem though

Once you find the shortcut, either for the taskbar or the start menu, just right click it, click "Properties," "Change icon..." "Browse...", and find the icon you made. Note: If you move that icon or rename it, you will have to do this step again as it will become a blank icon. After all these steps, it might be required to open task manager and restart explorer.exe

Some other things to do:
    - right click on desktop > View > uncheck Show desktop icons
    - Settings > Personalization > Start > turn off Show app list in start
    - Download the app TranslucentTB, lets you put your taskbar to a nice blur effect
    - A nice looking nature wallpaper
    - Set my accent color to grey, a completely neutral color
    - right click taskbar > Search > check Show search button
    - Hide all tray icons except for internet & sound
    Not exactly to do with personalizing Windows but things you should do anyway:
    - Settings > Devices > Mouse > on the top right click Additional mouse options > Pointer Options tab > Uncheck "Enhance pointer precision"
    - If you have an Nvidia gpu: Right click Desktop > NVIDIA Control Panel. Scroll down to "3. Apply the following settings." Where it says "Output dynamic range" change that to Full instead of Limited

If I'm forgetting any lmk

:)

Qwertyfish01, Dec 12, 2019

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Dec 12, 2019
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Dec 12, 2019
  4. How to make your Windows look clean

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

How to make your Windows look clean

1. How to make your Windows look clean - Similar Threads - clean

2. Windows 11 clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  3. Windows 11 clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 clean install: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  4. Windows 11 clean instal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean instal: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  5. Windows 11 clean instal

Windows 11 clean instal: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  6. Data recovery after diskpart clean command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data recovery after diskpart clean command: Hi Laptop: Asuspro 2520LJI encountered this error when reinstalling Windows 10: "the selected disk has an mbr partition table on efi systems windows can only be installed to gpt...". what did i do?shift+F10 = open command prompt Diskpart List disk result: I had two disks, one...
  7. Data recovery after diskpart clean command

Data recovery after diskpart clean command: Hi Laptop: Asuspro 2520LJI encountered this error when reinstalling Windows 10: "the selected disk has an mbr partition table on efi systems windows can only be installed to gpt...". what did i do?shift+F10 = open command prompt Diskpart List disk result: I had two disks, one...
  8. Data recovery after diskpart clean command

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up: I've been trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up in Systen>Storage>Temporary Files but it just won't delete. I don't know why this is happening though....
  10. Trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up

Trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up: I've been trying to delete Windows Update Clean-up in Systen>Storage>Temporary Files but it just won't delete. I don't know why this is happening though....