Windows 10: How to manually delete file history

Discus and support How to manually delete file history in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I must have turned off file history (I didn't want it anymore) the wrong way or something. Now I want to delete the history files left behind. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RickyHunt, Apr 27, 2019.

1. RickyHunt Win User

How to manually delete file history

I must have turned off file history (I didn't want it anymore) the wrong way or something. Now I want to delete the history files left behind. I couldn't use the "clean up versions" function in File History control panel. I have done a search on " UTC)" trying to get rid of them. I was ready to delete them but some of the locations I looked in had only files with the " UTC)" and not the original file (without the " UTC)". I was assuming it only made backups leaving the original intact. You might ask why I want to delete them: because the total is 7.1 GB. Also, the " UTC" drive was on my C drive. Can anyone help?

:)

RickyHunt, Apr 27, 2019
  2. Jerry8A Win User

File History - Deleting Entries

File History

Can I delete current individual Document entries in File History and still have File History work properly for future listings and maintain my old listings?

Another tech forum said:
    "File History keeps a database of all the files backed up. Since you manually deleted data in the File History folder (My Documents), the database and file store would be out of sync."

Do you agree?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Apr 27, 2019
  3. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Apr 27, 2019
  4. How to manually delete file history

How to delete files from file history .

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

Let’s try with the below steps and check if he issue resolves

• Enter File History settings in the search box, and then tap or click File History settings.
    • Tap or click Select a drive, and choose the network or external drive you want to use.
    • Turn on File History.
    You go to the location where file history is saved and delete the file if you want to do so.

Note: check the locations included for file history and check if there is third party back up in any of these locations. Removing file history completely won't affect your system image that you have already created.

I would also suggest you to check with the below link and check if it helps you.

Backup your Files: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further

Sachin V Rao, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

How to manually delete file history

1. How to manually delete file history - Similar Threads - manually delete file

2. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - removal of deleted files: In the "Delete older versions of files and folders" dialog which I'm not able to insert, despite saving the image as a file the prompt says that:"All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also deleted."What does this...
  3. How to edit file history settings manually

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to edit file history settings manually: The file history has been seriously gimped in Windows 11 and has been buggy on me in Windows 10 before I couldn't add a specific folder so I went editing the configuration manually.I found the two XML config files in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration...
  4. How to edit file history settings manually

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to edit file history settings manually: The file history has been seriously gimped in Windows 11 and has been buggy on me in Windows 10 before I couldn't add a specific folder so I went editing the configuration manually.I found the two XML config files in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration...
  5. How to delete File History files manually in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete File History files manually in Windows 10: [ATTACH]File History in Windows 10 regularly backs up versions of your files residing under this PC and the OneDrive files available offline. So, over time, […] This article How to delete File History files manually in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  6. how to delete history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to delete history: see subject https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-history/58e887d0-0763-40ab-85fb-0f34bf446677
  7. deleting file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    deleting file history: I have run out of space on my external hard drive G. can I delete file history which is taking up 733GB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-file-history/19d79f35-fea8-4e86-b9e7-79edc1f69b5b
  8. File History - Deleting Entries

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History - Deleting Entries: File History Can I delete current individual Document entries in File History and still have File History work properly for future listings and maintain my old listings? Another tech forum said: "File History keeps a database of all the files backed up. Since you...
  9. Delete File History files

Delete File History files: Just started running file history, seems like it might be a good feature. It backed up a lot of stuff that wasn't necessary and its seems to be a hassle to delete them, is there any easy way? I backup to a folder on an Ubuntu computer through my home network. Even as I...
  10. Can File History be done manually

Can File History be done manually: Is it possible to run File History manually at a time to suit. Ideally I would like to run it once a week, but find there is no option for that under the advanced settings. I don't really want to keep the external drive I'm using for this connected to my PC all the time so...