Windows 10: How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name?

Discus and support How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am connected to one Router. However, when connected wirelessly, I see there is a network name 'MikroTik- Mohammad'. However, when I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hadramawt, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Hadramawt Win User

How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name?

Hi,

I am connected to one Router. However, when connected wirelessly, I see there is a network name 'MikroTik- Mohammad'. However, when I am connected with a wired cable, I see the network name as 'MikroTik-BCEDB'. As a result, when I am connected wirelessly and via wired cable to the same router, I see two network names, although I am connected to one router. This is strange.

How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name? [​IMG]

How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Network name?

:)

Hadramawt, Sep 21, 2016
  2. R.Morris Win User

Windows 10; Network Name

I have the same problem.

I have both WiFi and Ethernet on my home network. I use Ethernet in my home office as its out of range of my WiFi but for some strange reason my Ethernet Network Name has now been renamed to be the same as my WiFi SSID name?

This is what I would usually see in Network Sharing Centre:-

When connected to Wired Network

Network Name = HomeNet

Connections = Ethernet

When connected to WiFi Network with SSID (HomeWirelessNet)

Network Name = HomeWirelessNet

Connections = WiFi (HomeWirelessNet)

However, for some reason I now see the following:-

When connected to Wired Network

Connections = Ethernet

When connected to WiFi Network with SSID (HomeWirelessNet)

Connections = WiFi (HomeWirelessNet)

No matter if connected by Ethernet or WiFi my Network Name seems to show as the SSID of my WiFi network?

I can use either secpol.msc or regedit to change my Ethernet Network Name to what I want, but as soon as I re-connect to my WiFi network in the evening when I'm in the living room, the Ethernet Network Name is immediately overwritten again with the SSID
    of my WiFi Network as before, I'm right back to square one again. FRUSTRATING!!

So is Microsoft saying I have to edit the registry to rename my Ethernet Network Name every time I disconnect from my WiFi network?

This is ridiculous, come on Microsoft, get this fixed asap.

R.Morris, Sep 21, 2016
  3. NETWORK SETTINGS

Just got a new modem, and the wired connection I'm connected to says Network. I need to have the Network NAME match the wifi Network NAME.

I see in the Network properties where it says ETHERNET NETWORK NAME, "NETWORK" So how can I change this?

BLILANGEL4, Sep 21, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

You don't. You either connect with an ethernet cable or wifi-not both at the same time. When you set up a wireless connection on your router, you have to give it a name (SSID) to broadcast (or, even if it's hidden, it still needs an SSID) and this name is for the wireless network connection. The wireless network is handled separately than the wired network. The wireless network can be turned off, and the wired network will still function. The wireless network should have a password set, to prevent unauthorized access. The ethernet connection doesn't have that password setup, as you have to be physically present to "plug in".

Hope that helps. *Smile

simrick, Sep 21, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    You cannot because they are two separate connections. You can "Bridge" the two and use the device as a way to allow wireless devices to connect through it to the gateway. Basically you are creating an expensive Access Point when you use the computer in place of a real access point, or wanting to watch packets for something that you are trying to troubleshoot for something that is causing issues on another computer.

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  6. Hadramawt Win User
    Thank you both of you very much indeed,
    I can be connected to Ethernet and Wireless connection at the same time. I have tried that. However, in the past while I was connected to wireless and Ethernet connection at the same time, the connection network name was the same. I did take a screen shot of that. However, I have another user's screen shot while he/she is connected to both Wireless and Ethernet connection at the same time. His/her system is in Czech language. I will post the screen shot later. It is not in hand now.

Also, They are NOT two separate connections.

Hadramawt, Sep 21, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Yes you can, but that does not mean that it is going to give you faster speeds. Windows will always use the best connection for data transfer. There is no need to post a screen shot, since your question is asked by hundreds of people every day.

When you have two connections that are not bridge, they are two separate connections and only one gets used by Windows. If you have "Bridged" the connections, then the wireless will become in the sense of a WiFi Access Point.

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  8. Hadramawt Win User

Thanks a lot,
    I think I have NOT gotten what you meant with the 'bridged connections' and 'non-bridged connections. So, could you please read my points below, and let me know if I have any 'bridged connections or 'non-bridged connections'. According to what I have let me know why in point#1, I saw only one network name, although I am connected wirelessly and via a wired cable to the same TP-Link Router. However, in the point#2, I saw two separate connections, althoguh I am connected wirelessly and via a wired cable to the same MikroTik Router.

Point#1, as you may know that the TP-Link router/modem can be used a modem and router in the same time. When I am connected directly to my TP-Link Router/Modem(without using the MikrTik Router), which was setup via PPPoE, then I saw the two connections(Wireless and Ethernet) are merged in one network name.(see screen shot below).

Ponit#2 As you may know that MikrTik router is only a router, and cannot be used as a modem. So, I needed to use TP-Link as modem by resetting it. When I rested my TP-Link Router/Modem to be used as a transparent modem in bridge mode. And I used another MikrTik router(RB2011) to be configured via PPPoE. To do so, I have plugged the ADSL line in to the ADSL port on the TP-Link Router/Modem which was now is used as only modem. And, then I used a two-head Ethernet Cable to be connected from one of its ends to the LAN port on the TP-Link router/modem, and the other end to be connected to the first ETH1 port(called POE) as was said in the manual that I must plug the in the ETH1 port to have an internet. Then, I setup/configured the MikrTik Router via PPPoE.
    So, when I am connected wirelessly and via a wired cable to the same MikrTik router. I saw the two connections(Wireless and Ethernet) are not merged in one network name.(see screen shot below).

I want to let the two connections in the second image to be like the first one. How to do so?

Hadramawt, Sep 21, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Bridged means exactly that. Ever driven down a road and crossed a railroad or river. That is what is called Bridged. Non-Bridged means that the two network connections are independent and that there is nothing routed between them.

There really was no need for the screen shots and there really is nothing else to explain to you about this. There is a tutorial available that explains about bridging a wired and wireless connection on a computer.

bro67, Sep 22, 2016
  10. Hadramawt Win User
    Thanks a lot,
    Could you please take some of your precious time out to read my points #1, and point #2 posted before and understand me?

The screen shots posted in my last post were taken from while using point #1, and while using point#2.

If this 'Ever driven down a road and crossed a railroad or river' means 'bridge', I don't use any bridged connections in both points #1, and points#2 posted before.

As a result, why do I see two different connection network names in point #2(the Ethernet connection with a network name(SSID), and the WiFi connection with a different network name(SSID)).
    However, one connection network name in the point #1(the Ethernet connection and the WiFi connection with the same network name(SSID)). Bear in mind, the issue is not in the Network connection( Ethernet and WiFi). However, in the SSID. In point #1, both Ethernet and the WiFi connection have the same network name(SSID). However, in point #2, each of Ethernet connection and the WiFi connection has a different network name(SSID).

Moreover, when a person from Czech Republic looked at my second screen shot under point #2 in my last post(two separate connections), then he told me to set the wire as "home network", and set the wifi to be the same network..
    The chat made between me and that person is below:

Person: you need to join these two networks into one in windows...otherwise the mixture of it in windows can make such problems too

ME: There are two, Wireless network name, and Local Area Network name.

Person: not two, logically it is one network, bridged in router, so it is the same one like other
    might me very probably.
    Person: set the wire as "home network", and set the wifi to be the same network.. should look like this (in win7):

Person: I have both interfaces (wifi and wire) connected at once, windows see it as one network of home type
    Person: do this in win10 and try again, it should stay connected both.

Hadramawt, Sep 22, 2016
  11. Hadramawt Win User
    Hi, Bro67, I have succeeded to let Ethernet and WiFi connection Network name be merged in one network name.

I change the Network Name(SSID) from 'MikroTik-Mohammad' to 'MikroTik-BCE3DB'. So, Ethernet and WiFi connectin Network names were merged in one network name(SSID), which is ''MikroTik-BCE3DB'.

Hadramawt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name? - Similar Threads - merge Ethernet WiFi

2. Ethernet Network Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet Network Name: Today, on Windows 10 latest version, I connected to WiFi for the first time while connected to ethernet simultaneously. My ethernet connection took on the name of the wi-fi connection. So now, my ethernet connection has the same name as one of my wi fi networks. Still works...
  3. Name on my Ethernet Connection

Name on my Ethernet Connection: Under Network Connections, this is is what it says on my ethernet connection: Ethernet 118Vit24 Realtek PCle BGE Family Controller I understand how to change the name. Change "Ethernet" to anything I want. However, where did it get the 118Vit24? That is the name of...
  4. How to rename the Ethernet Network Name of Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to rename the Ethernet Network Name of Windows?: [ATTACH] We recently changed our router and when I connect to the Internet, it shows "Network 2" but not the name of our router. Please can anyone help me to rename the Network name. I have searched the Web and everywhere there are tutorials for the changing name for...
  5. Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names

Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names: Two of the three desktop PCs on my wired network are named Network 2, with the third PC named Network 4. I have researched and found ways to rename them, but before I do, two questions: Is there a performance or operational risk related to the duplicate Network 2's, and is...
  6. Ethernet Connection Display Name not showing

Ethernet Connection Display Name not showing: When I hover on the network icon in my notification area, I get the message "POOVENDHAN Internet access" but when I click on the network icon it is showing "Local Area Connection 2 No Internet", why my Ethernet name "POOVENDHAN" not getting displayed in the list even though...
  7. Change name of Ethernet connection

Change name of Ethernet connection: How do I change the Name of my Ethernet Connection? Currently it has the same name as my WiFi 2.4Ghz connection ( have a dual band router so I also have a 5Ghz connection). [img] I know how to rename my Local Area Connection: netsh interface set interface name="Local...
  8. Change the Ethernet network name

Change the Ethernet network name: Good day. Is it possible to change this name? If so, what is the exact procedure? Thank sou, Stanislav [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-ethernet-network-name/08efe2b4-3ddb-4e91-8020-310374f4fa02
  9. Ethernet connection - How do you change the name of the connection.

Ethernet connection - How do you change the name of the connection.: How do you change the name of your Ethernet wired connection? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-connection-how-do-you-change-the-name-of/6905a661-9209-4c2e-88fe-e9642bdca2c7
  10. How to change name and password of network connection?

How to change name and password of network connection?: I have just set up the "o2 HomeBox 6641". How can one change the name of the network connection: [img] [img] "WiFi" can be changed / renamed, but "o2-WLAN" cannot, I would like to rename it. How / where can I change the WPA2 key, the password for the Internet...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. merge wifi

2. merge wifi and ethernet connection

3. merge ethernet and wifi connectios