Windows 10: How to migrate to a new HDD

Discus and support How to migrate to a new HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My HP Envy 23 all in one 10 pt touch screen began giving me the ol Smart drive detects imminent HDD Failure. So I got a new 1 TB drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChetteNichols Jr, Oct 12, 2019.

1. How to migrate to a new HDD

My HP Envy 23 all in one 10 pt touch screen began giving me the ol Smart drive detects imminent HDD Failure.

So I got a new 1 TB drive and everything is backed up on another external drive.

How do I migrate to a new drive all my windows account settings?

If I use the on-board recovery it will load and install the original Win 8.1. I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. So do I need to just use my old win pro disk and reinstall windows and all my programs again?

Is there anyway to image the whole drive with all my programs, registry files and the lot and paste it onto the new drive?

Any easier suggestions than reinstalling everything would be great?

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks Chette

:)

ChetteNichols Jr, Oct 12, 2019

2. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Oct 12, 2019
  3. Migrating hdd

I was wondering if migrating from a SSD to SSD is same as HDD to SSD and also if the hard drive with the operating systems had bad sectors on it, would the migration still continue successfully? Thanks

williamsTL, Oct 12, 2019
  4. How to migrate to a new HDD

Migrating from HDD to SSD

You're looking at just under 75GB of data to migrate from your HDD to SSD so...
    I'd suggest you use Todo Backup Free for migrations to SSDs. As "Word Man" mentioned, you get to choose if you want to move some or all of the partitions of a disk. I think you'll be ok to just migrate/clone the whole disk to the new SSD and then from it from the SSD to the other physical drive you mentioned having. If you have a Samsung SSD, use their Samsung Magician software to do the clone.

Simeon Naranjit, Oct 12, 2019
Thema:

How to migrate to a new HDD

1. How to migrate to a new HDD - Similar Threads - migrate HDD

2. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...
  3. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...
  4. I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...: I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to enter BIOS as my keyboard doesn't work in BIOS how should I choose my SSD as boot drive. I bought Torosus SSDI have TOSHIBA HDD I am using Minitool partition wizard to migrate my OS from...
  5. I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...

I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...: I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to enter BIOS as my keyboard doesn't work in BIOS how should I choose my SSD as boot drive. I bought Torosus SSDI have TOSHIBA HDD I am using Minitool partition wizard to migrate my OS from...
  6. Ok so i just done a data migration from an hdd to a sdd, and replace the old hdd with the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ok so i just done a data migration from an hdd to a sdd, and replace the old hdd with the...: I entered the bios but it's different from the other bios which i saw on yt videos.It's like:InsydeH20 Setup Utility, but like this:And I basically can't try any of the different solutions i've found online...Please help me...
  7. Ok so i just done a data migration from an hdd to a sdd, and replace the old hdd with the...

Ok so i just done a data migration from an hdd to a sdd, and replace the old hdd with the...: I entered the bios but it's different from the other bios which i saw on yt videos.It's like:InsydeH20 Setup Utility, but like this:And I basically can't try any of the different solutions i've found online...Please help me...
  8. Ok so i just done a data migration from an hdd to a sdd, and replace the old hdd with the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd: I currently have a 1tb hard drive that I've used for a few years. Recently I got a new ssd that is also 1tb and I would like to run windows on it. How would I move windows to the ssd while keeping all my data on the hard drive?...
  10. How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd

How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd: I currently have a 1tb hard drive that I've used for a few years. Recently I got a new ssd that is also 1tb and I would like to run windows on it. How would I move windows to the ssd while keeping all my data on the hard drive?...