Windows 10: How to Mirror the O/S drive with a second drive without using Raid

Discus and support How to Mirror the O/S drive with a second drive without using Raid in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I came across the following article about mirroring the O/S drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by surfing69, Aug 30, 2019.

1. surfing69 Win User

How to Mirror the O/S drive with a second drive without using Raid

surfing69, Aug 30, 2019
  2. Bazsl1 Win User

Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

I am not going to use hardware RAID. I want to use Windows Storage Spaces to create the RAID 1 array from two identical hard drives.

Do I install Windows on the first hard drive then create the RAID array using Storage Spaces?

When I create the RAID array will Windows automatically mirror the Windows installation including the boot partition to the second drive so the RAID array is bootable?

Are their any steps unique to this setup that I must follow when installing Windows or creating the RAID array so that the RAID array will be bootable?

Bazsl1, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Mike G 42 Win User
    On Wake from Sleep = BOOTMGR IS MISSING, with RAID O/S Drive

My O/S is installed on a mirrored raid array consisting of 2 SSD's in striped config.

Upgraded to Win 10, all seemed well.

When PC wakes from sleep there is big trouble. Continuous "restarts" bypass the raid boot screen and the bios can not see my raid drives and the PC will never start ... infamous "BOOTMGR IS MISSING"

A hard turn off / turn on with the physical power button will resolve all problems. Until it sleeps again.

Mike G 42, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Neemobeer Win User

Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC

If it's a software RAID then there shouldn't be any issues simply moving the drives over, even if it were a hardware RAID, a mirror RAID is pretty forgiving and shouldn't break. You can break the mirror as suggested by play2mefish it won't harm anything since the drives are identical data.

Neemobeer, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

1. How to Mirror the O/S drive with a second drive without using Raid - Similar Threads - Mirror drive second

2. Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC: I recently built a new desktop PC. I transferred two 8TB drives that were mirrored from my previous PC. In my new PC they show up as one drive. I have put each drive individually and they each show up with all the data. I have backed up this data and wish to use the drives as...
  3. How to initialize second drive without formatting it?

How to initialize second drive without formatting it?: On Windows 10 Home: I have an old second internal HDD (D:/) from my previous desktop which contains all my personal files that I want to move on to my knew desktop. Adding a new drive was easy using disk management which you just had to format the new drive to get it...
  4. How to initialize second drive without formatting it?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to initialize second drive without formatting it?: On Windows 10 Home: I have an old second internal HDD (D:/) from my previous desktop which contains all my personal files that I want to move on to my knew desktop. Adding a new drive was easy using disk management which you just had to format the new drive to get it...
  5. Raid boot drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Raid boot drive.: I have 2 120gb ssds in my PC. They are from different brands. Is there a way I can somehow combine both of them into a raid that makes them operate as 1 drive, then make it my windows boot drive?...
  6. O/S drive partitioning

O/S drive partitioning: 1TB SSD (mbr) with 103 GB in use for the 2004 O/S and 827 GB free. A few basic queries, with the object to create a new partition for data, while leaving the O/S with ample room. The Win 10 disk management interface lists... Total 973 GB Available 591 GB After shrinking 362...
  7. Removing drives without breaking RAID

Removing drives without breaking RAID: Question... I've a Western Digital 4-bay NAS with 4 HDD drives running in RAID 10 (1+0). The system has been running non stop for over a year now and I'm looking to do some dust maintenance. So my question - If I remove and reinstall each drive at a time for cleaning...
  8. Mirror Hard Drive

Mirror Hard Drive: I am trying to mirror my hard drive with an external hard drive. However the add mirror is greyed out. How can I get it ungreyed out. I have created a volume for the external hard drive that didn't work. I tried creating a pool that didn't work. Why is it greyed out....
  9. Removing drives without breaking RAID

Removing drives without breaking RAID: Question... I've a Western Digital 4-bay NAS with 4 HDD drives running in RAID 10 (1+0). The system has been running non stop for over a year now and I'm looking to do some dust maintenance. So my question - If I remove and reinstall each drive at a time for cleaning...
  10. How to change drive letter of mirror drive

How to change drive letter of mirror drive: I have just set up a mirror drive(software RAID1) and want to change the drive letter. I am getting a message "The parameter is incorrect". I am wondering if I am stuck with the one assigned when the mirror drive was set up. 27607