Windows 10: How to Mirror the O/S drive with a second drive without using Raid

Discus and support How to Mirror the O/S drive with a second drive without using Raid in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I came across the following article about mirroring the O/S drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by surfing69, Aug 30, 2019.

1. surfing69 Win User

How to Mirror the O/S drive with a second drive without using Raid

surfing69, Aug 30, 2019
  2. Bazsl1 Win User

Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

I am not going to use hardware RAID. I want to use Windows Storage Spaces to create the RAID 1 array from two identical hard drives.

Do I install Windows on the first hard drive then create the RAID array using Storage Spaces?

When I create the RAID array will Windows automatically mirror the Windows installation including the boot partition to the second drive so the RAID array is bootable?

Are their any steps unique to this setup that I must follow when installing Windows or creating the RAID array so that the RAID array will be bootable?

Bazsl1, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Mike G 42 Win User
    On Wake from Sleep = BOOTMGR IS MISSING, with RAID O/S Drive

My O/S is installed on a mirrored raid array consisting of 2 SSD's in striped config.

Upgraded to Win 10, all seemed well.

When PC wakes from sleep there is big trouble. Continuous "restarts" bypass the raid boot screen and the bios can not see my raid drives and the PC will never start ... infamous "BOOTMGR IS MISSING"

A hard turn off / turn on with the physical power button will resolve all problems. Until it sleeps again.

Mike G 42, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Neemobeer Win User

Moving Software Mirrored Drives To New PC

If it's a software RAID then there shouldn't be any issues simply moving the drives over, even if it were a hardware RAID, a mirror RAID is pretty forgiving and shouldn't break. You can break the mirror as suggested by play2mefish it won't harm anything since the drives are identical data.

Neemobeer, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

1. How to Mirror the O/S drive with a second drive without using Raid - Similar Threads - Mirror drive second

2. Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive: I have two important data drives that I had mirrors of in Windows 7. When I got a new system and moved the drives over to my Windows 10 computer, the mirror did not stay synced as expected. I don't remember exactly what happened (it was back in May) but I thought I fixed the...
  3. Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive: I have two important data drives that I had mirrors of in Windows 7. When I got a new system and moved the drives over to my Windows 10 computer, the mirror did not stay synced as expected. I don't remember exactly what happened (it was back in May) but I thought I fixed the...
  4. RAIDing Profile Drive

RAIDing Profile Drive: My computer has the OS and such on C: and user profiles/documents on D: I want to set up RAID for D. I found out I need to clone D to a third drive, set up a storage pool, then clone that third disk back to the storage pool. I can't clone to the storage pool using macrium,...
  5. RAIDing Profile Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    RAIDing Profile Drive: My computer has the OS and such on C: and user profiles/documents on D: I want to set up RAID for D. I found out I need to clone D to a third drive, set up a storage pool, then clone that third disk back to the storage pool. I can't clone to the storage pool using macrium,...
  6. How to change drive letter of mirror drive

How to change drive letter of mirror drive: I have just set up a mirror drive(software RAID1) and want to change the drive letter. I am getting a message "The parameter is incorrect". I am wondering if I am stuck with the one assigned when the mirror drive was set up. 27607
  7. Raided hard drive unallocated

Raided hard drive unallocated: Hello ten forums does anyboby here can me how to fix my raided 2 hard drive without losing any data.. i encounter this. when i open my mycomputer i cannot read my hard drive and my raided drive in device manager was this. look at the picture 5%x Anybody here can...
  8. RAID Drive becomes unavailable

RAID Drive becomes unavailable: I am running Win 10 Pro 64 bit. I have a RAID drive set up on my F drive. When I turn on my system it runs fine and is available, but after the PC sits idle for some time none of the files inside of it are available. In My PC I can still see the F drive listed, but I cannot...
  9. win10 o/s

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 o/s: I made a mistake and bought win10 home oem. Can I install then upgrade to home retail. I really do not want to go to the hassle of returning for the retail disk. 66786
  10. Single drive with RAID?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Single drive with RAID?: This doesn't make sense. My new Dell 15 XPS (9550) laptop has the BIOS SATA setting set to RAID (not AHCI) and yet it has a single internal OS NVMe PCIe SSD. Any idea why it's not set to AHCI? thanks 54722