Windows 10: How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

Discus and support How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I want to modify a few entries of the HOST file but I don't know how to do it & I am not sure whether it is safe or not??what is a way to do it??... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by YashGandhi7200, Jul 5, 2022.

1. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

I want to modify a few entries of the HOST file but I don't know how to do it & I am not sure whether it is safe or not??what is a way to do it??

:)

YashGandhi7200, Jul 5, 2022
  2. Asi11 Win User

think my hosts file got modified

like the title indicate' my AV found a modified host and it makes my internet to work slowly, I read in support forum that there is a solution by resetting the host file by opening notepad and put a text inside it then save the notepad and replace it with
    the current host file. I want to know if I do so and resetting the host file, what changes will happen to my PC? I would need to sign in to all my websites again? or it will just reset without changing much?

this is the article that I found, maybe it will help you to understand better. hope it will help.

"

To reset the Hosts file back to the default, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad. To do this, search for “Notepad” using
      Cortana, and then tap or click the Notepad icon.
    2. Copy the following text, and then paste the text into the file:

1. Close Notepad.
    2. Search for
      %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc
      using Cortana, and then select the
      File folder icon.
    3. Tap and hold or right-click the Hosts file, select
      Rename, and then rename the file as "Hosts.old".
    4. Copy or move the Hosts file that you created in step 3 from the desktop to the
      %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc folder. If you are prompted to
      enter an administrator password, select
      Continue

Asi11, Jul 5, 2022
  3. Asi11 Win User
    think my hosts file got modified

this is what I also saw in the forum in Microsoft that said

"If the Hosts file is wrong, because has been invalid modified by the user or by a malicious software, then causes Internet connectivity problems, such as re-directions to malicious websites, slow or no Internet access, etc. On all that cases you have to
    fix the Hosts file by resetting it to its default clean state."

Asi11, Jul 5, 2022
  4. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Jul 5, 2022
Thema:

How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

1. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default - Similar Threads - modify host file

2. How to modify the default details options in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to modify the default details options in File Explorer?: Hi,I would like to know if it's possible to modify the default detail options e.g. size, type, date modified in files explorers in Windows 11 Home?...
  3. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default: I want to modify a few entries of the HOST file but I don't know how to do it & I am not sure whether it is safe or not??what is a way to do it??...
  4. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default: I want to modify a few entries of the HOST file but I don't know how to do it & I am not sure whether it is safe or not??what is a way to do it??...
  5. Reset Host file to default?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Reset Host file to default?: So i found this artical of how to reset the host to default so the file is nolonger empty on notepad, but i dont entirely comprehend it could someone please help me?our internet provider is comcast...
  6. Reset Host file to default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Host file to default?: So i found this artical of how to reset the host to default so the file is nolonger empty on notepad, but i dont entirely comprehend it could someone please help me?our internet provider is comcast...
  7. Reset Host file to default?

8. Cannot modify/save hosts file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot modify/save hosts file: I give up. I have tried everything. I set all the permissions to "Allow" and I don't even remember the default settings of that. I have tried taking ownership of the file. I have tried saving it on my desktop with a different name and copying it back into the etc folder...
  9. Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows: How to: Reset Hosts file back to default in Windows How to reset Hosts file back to default in Windows The Hosts file is used by the operating system to map human-friendly hostnames to numerical Internet Protocol (IP) addresses which identify and locate a host in an IP...
  10. Modify & save hosts file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Modify & save hosts file: I have 2 machines: Win10 & WinXP. For some reason, my hosts file on my Win10 machine listed Windows 10 Help Forums as 127.0.0.1. I don't know how this happened & I have not been able to delete that entry & save the hosts file in Windows/Drivers/etc. How can I give myself...