Windows 10: How to mount an SSD to "C:\Windows"

Discus and support How to mount an SSD to "C:\Windows" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a spared 32GB mSATA SSD. It is inadequate for the whole C:\ volume. Is there anyway I can mount it to C:\Windows for faster system boot time?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Livy Inverse, May 12, 2019.

1. How to mount an SSD to "C:\Windows"

I have a spared 32GB mSATA SSD. It is inadequate for the whole C:\ volume. Is there anyway I can mount it to C:\Windows for faster system boot time?

• Scenario 1: during installation time
    • Scenario 2: after installation, when the directory already contains files

:)

Livy Inverse, May 12, 2019
  2. LTK
    LTK Win User

Mysterious c:\mount folder on my SSD

I came looking for information here because I just discovered a C:\Mount folder on my own Intel SSD. It's about one gig in size, and most of that is from copies from files in C:\Windows. Attempting to access any of the files results in "The file cannot be accessed by the system" being displayed. The folder also contains a 'sources' folder, which is the only thing that's not a copy of another C:\ folder.

I haven't used any kind of mounting software in the time before that. Renaming the folder doesn't cause it to be recreated, and doesn't really have any effect.

What's weirder, the folder's 'Date Modified' shows a date in 2009, same date as the PerfLogs folder. I didn't even own this SSD back then, and I'm sure that Mount folder wasn't here a few weeks ago.

Does this provide any more clues to what this might be?

3. subhendu Win User
    How to install SSD without a mounting bracket ?

Hi,
    I am planning to get a SSD this X'mas . I found an intel oem model . can you suggest me some methods to install it without using a mounting kit ?

subhendu, May 12, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

How to mount an SSD to "C:\Windows"

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, May 12, 2019
Thema:

How to mount an SSD to "C:\Windows"

1. How to mount an SSD to "C:\Windows" - Similar Threads - mount SSD

2. How to check File Path of Mounted ISO in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to check File Path of Mounted ISO in Windows 11: [IMG]This post shows how to check the file path of mounted ISO on a Windows 11/10 PC. This comes in handy when you don’t remember the actual location of the mounted ISO image file stored on your PC. We have covered some easy options to find the file path or location of a...
  3. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  4. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  5. How do I access a NTFS Mounted volume in Ubuntu/WSL ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I access a NTFS Mounted volume in Ubuntu/WSL ?: I have a disk volume that is mounted as a folder in NTFS. It has no drive letter. Just a path C:\Users\me\folderXHow do I mount such a volume in WSL?I am able to munt external disks on WSL via wsl --mount \\**** --bare...
  6. How do I access a NTFS Mounted volume in Ubuntu/WSL ?

How do I access a NTFS Mounted volume in Ubuntu/WSL ?: I have a disk volume that is mounted as a folder in NTFS. It has no drive letter. Just a path C:\Users\me\folderXHow do I mount such a volume in WSL?I am able to munt external disks on WSL via wsl --mount \\**** --bare...
  7. I would like to mount my HDD to/as the program files directory to save space on my SSD, how...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to mount my HDD to/as the program files directory to save space on my SSD, how...: I would like to mount my HDD to/as the program files directory to save space on my SSD. From my research, there is a way to do it using symbolic links, however, I am not really satisfied with that solution as I think there could be a better one....
  8. I would like to mount my HDD to/as the program files directory to save space on my SSD, how...

I would like to mount my HDD to/as the program files directory to save space on my SSD, how...: I would like to mount my HDD to/as the program files directory to save space on my SSD. From my research, there is a way to do it using symbolic links, however, I am not really satisfied with that solution as I think there could be a better one....
  9. I would like to mount my HDD to/as the program files directory to save space on my SSD, how...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. External SSD loads/mounts and then immediately unloads/unmounts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External SSD loads/mounts and then immediately unloads/unmounts: I'm desperately trying to mount an SSD plugged into an external enclosure on my laptop, but every time I try, it loads (4 partitions), then immediately unmounts. No error message is given -- all I see is basically "has been loaded" followed by "has been unloaded". I know the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mounting msata ssd windows 10

2. mount liveusb windows