Windows 10: How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you different ways using which you can natively mount or unmount VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk files in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 4, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

WinClub, Nov 4, 2019

2. Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

There is no problem with File Backups. It is the System Image Backup .vhdx file which I am trying to view, using it to mount a VHD (Drive MHow to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10 :) which appears empty to File Manager. As you suggested I had a good look at the W7 tutorial for file mounting, and explored some of its links, but to no avail.

I also tried to mount the VHD with Diskpart from elevated command prompt: Diskpart; select vdisk file=filename.vhdx; attach vdisk. There was no need to assign a drive letter as Windows remembered it, which is annoying. M: was again empty.

Then, Windows PowerShell: Mount-VHD -Path "[location of vhd]". This cmdlet failed with error message "Mount-VHD is not recognised as the name of a cmdlet ...". Googling this, I found this could be due to the absence of a Hyper-V module for Windows PowerShell. Now, I know that Hyper-V Virtualization does not come with W10 Home but does with W10 Pro. Could my problem be related? Could it be that the image file is vdhx rather than vdh which I assume was the format in W7? I am out of my depth here, and don't want to experiment without advice.

Out of interest I checked UEFI Bios and found Virtualisation Technology to be disabled, and Hyper-V missing from the Programs and Features list in Control Panel. With some trepidation I tried Enabling Virtualisation. Programs and Features list was unchanged, as was the PowerShell outcome and the zero content of M: after attaching via Disk Management. I returned Virtualisation to Disabled.

Drive M:'s properties show its partition type to be GUID, not MBR.

Grateful for any further thoughts. Thanks.

Old Novice, Nov 4, 2019
  3. jon111 Win User
    can a virtual hard disk be mounted when the file does not have the .vhd extension?

i would like to remove the .vhd extension from a virtual hard disk and still be able to mount the drive with explorer.exe. forcing the use of the .vhd file extension makes finding these types of high value files way to easy. i removed the .vhd file extension,
    but then the system will not mount the drive. "open with" explorer.exe fails. using" disk management" fails. etc. somehow this makes little sense to me. windows hard reliance on file extensions is really not good computer science. if you try to mount what
    is internally just a text file, then it should fail being processed as a virtual hard disk and a user error message would be in order.

jon111, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

1. How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Mount Unmount VHD

2. Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory: Disks are mounted read-only in C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0\ I've added exclusions for C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\*\*\*\* Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\ Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0 each shows excluded...
  3. Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD: I have a TB to choose from and I Made it 1,000,000,000,000,000TB to see if it was a 1,000YB which I went online to see how much it was and it said 1000 that is 1,000 YB but on my computer, after it was formatting it said 1024.98 GB and then I thought to my self boy that...
  4. Error in mounting VHDX file

Error in mounting VHDX file: Hi, I have Created a VHDX file Ihave stored so many important files in it today when i try to open it is saying Make sure the file is in an NTFS volume and isn't in a compressed folder or volume [IMG] i have seen in properties when i try to unchuck the compress...
  5. VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason

VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason: Hey community, i've recently recovered Virtual hard disk that I forgot I had. Given the fact I am dangerously low on storage, I am now planning on using this for games and other personal files. I am now currently running the installer for a game and the VHD keeps closing...
  6. Mount a VHD? How?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mount a VHD? How?: I used VirtualBox to create a 640MB VHD (virtual hard disk) named 'Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd'. (Note that the VHD is not a VDI.) I need to format it, but first, I need to mount it. But when I attempt to mount it (as Administrator) via Disk Managment's 'Action' 'Attach...
  7. Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10: How to: Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10 How to Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as...
  8. Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...: Hello everybody, recently I've installed Windows 8,1 Pro version on my laptop and today I'm trying to install Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise. I've have it on CD but when I'm trying to run it there's a message that says : "Virtual hard disk files can't be mounted from...
  9. Virtual Hard disk Files can't be mounted from image files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Virtual Hard disk Files can't be mounted from image files: Please allow me to explain my problem for it to be better understood. Approx. three weeks ago my computer just suddenly shut down. Within a few seconds I was receiving a display that said Windows will repair your computer and reinstall Windows. I did a lot of reading and...
  10. Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10: How to: Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10 How to Mount or Unmount VHD and VHDX File in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as disk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to mount an USB-Drive in Hyper-V

2. unable to mount vhd as explorer defines it need to be formatted

3. mount vhd disk in virtualbox shared folder

4. windows 10 mount vhd in folder,
  5. virtualbox vhdx,
  6. unmount virtual hard disk file to a partition hyper v,
  7. How to Compact a Virtual Disk (vhd / vhdx) ,
  8. windwos 10 powershel mount virtual disk vhd