Windows 10: How to move a profile to a new computer?

Discus and support How to move a profile to a new computer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Old and new computers are running Win 10 2004. All accounts are local, not Microsoft accounts. My wife's old laptop - her only computer - is dying.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, Jan 10, 2021.

1. How to move a profile to a new computer?

Old and new computers are running Win 10 2004. All accounts are local, not Microsoft accounts.

My wife's old laptop - her only computer - is dying. My laptop is not my primary computer so I could set her up on it - she does not currently have a profile on it. I'm considering installing programs she needs on my laptop and then copying her profile there, but I'm not sure the best way to do this.

1. Should I copy her whole profile over before defining here userid; then define her userid and hope everything works?
    2. Should I define her userid and then copy her profile? (I suspect this would result in an unusable profile.)
    3. Should I define her userid and then copy parts of her profile that I think she would need? (I suspect I would be spending months finding pieces of AppData that I missed. Or worse yet, not finding them.)
    4. Should I use some other technique I haven't thought of?

I know there is at least one program - Transwiz - that is supposed to make this task easy, but I know nothing about it.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jan 10, 2021

2. CCC Profiles that disappear

id suggest a spyware check

eidairaman1, Jan 10, 2021
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done How to move a profile to a new computer? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Sasqui Win User

How to move a profile to a new computer?

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

How to move a profile to a new computer?

1. How to move a profile to a new computer? - Similar Threads - move profile computer

2. Safe to Move These Folders to New User Profile?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe to Move These Folders to New User Profile?: I've already made several posts in the forums about a virus I had and the feedback has been very helpful so far. I have another question now. I had to create a new User in Windows because the virus corrupted my original account. When I went to delete my old account, Windows...
  3. Safe to Move These Folders to New User Profile?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Safe to Move These Folders to New User Profile?: I've already made several posts in the forums about a virus I had and the feedback has been very helpful so far. I have another question now. I had to create a new User in Windows because the virus corrupted my original account. When I went to delete my old account, Windows...
  4. How to move a profile to a new computer?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to move a profile to a new computer?: Old and new computers are running Win 10 2004. All accounts are local, not Microsoft accounts. My wife's old laptop - her only computer - is dying. My laptop is not my primary computer so I could set her up on it - she does not currently have a profile on it. I'm...
  5. Moving SSD to new computer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving SSD to new computer.: I'am going to be upgrading my pc soon and want to use my current ssd in my computer. I'am going to use the "reset this pc" setting to get rid of all my files, apps, games, etc. I want to start a fresh wipe of windows on my new pc. What i want to know is can I do the windows...
  6. moving to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    moving to a new computer: My current desktop is on life support, if I buy a new desktop can I just pull the root drive from my dying machine , put it in the new one and expect everything including all the APPS to work ?...
  7. Move to a new Computer

Move to a new Computer: What have people found to be the best way to transfer programs, files, data from one (operating) computer to a new one? Both are running Windows 10. Both will have OneDrive and Office 365....
  8. Moving to a new computer (license)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving to a new computer (license): I am going to build a new computer and I am wondering if the license would keep working when I just switch out the OS drive to a new computer. It is a retail license, not OEM if that would make a difference. I also attached the license to my Microsoft account. Thank you!...
  9. Moving Moneypoint to a new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Moneypoint to a new computer: I am trying to move MoneyPoint from one computer to a new computer. What process should I use? I assume that I should first install the program on the new computer, but then I cannot determine which files need to be copied across to maintain all of the existing information....
  10. Moving W10 to a new computer

Moving W10 to a new computer: Hi all, I'm about to purchase a new PC desktop computer for photo editing, general MS Office and web surfing. I already have an SSD boot drive with W10 Pro x64 installed and activated and a bootable USB stick. The hardware of the new PC will be completely different to the...