Windows 10: How to move an existing user from HDD to a SSD

Discus and support How to move an existing user from HDD to a SSD in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I upgraded my laptop and installed a SSD keeping my HDD installed. I made a new Windows installation on the SSD and created a new user for myself, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by sirtifos, Mar 22, 2020.

1. sirtifos Win User

How to move an existing user from HDD to a SSD

I upgraded my laptop and installed a SSD keeping my HDD installed. I made a new Windows installation on the SSD and created a new user for myself, but my brother would like to move his user account with all his files, folders, preferences etc from HDD to SDD. Is this possible? I suppose just moving the C:\Users folder wouldn't be correct, right?

:)

sirtifos, Mar 22, 2020

2. Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.

Hi,

I'm thinking about updating my 2 years old laptop from HDD to SSD. Since my HDD is still in working condition, I plan to use it as an external HDD. I have a pre-installed Windows 10 Home on my laptop.
    Is it possible for me to transfer it to the new SSD while upgrading? If then please tell me the steps to follow.

Thanks and Regards,

Arjun.

Arjun Dinesh, Mar 22, 2020
  3. Relocation of User Profile Folders from SSD to HDD

I have just recently purchased an HP Pavilion 590-p0054 DT PC from Best Buy with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD; currently, I’m using the Toshiba 4TB HDD on the PC.

Frankly, a few of my personal files would get saved up to the SSD. So, what’s the best way of relocating those files, as well as all the User profile folders from the SSD to the HDD?

mistrette1985, Mar 22, 2020
  4. Rohit_R Win User

Relocation of User Profile Folders from SSD to HDD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Most of the manufacturers install Windows Operating system on the SSD rather than HDD. As it provides boost in performance and get fast boot for the Operating system.

Hence, the preferable drive for Windows OS to save its files would be SSD. That is reason personal files and User profile folders are saved in SSD. The user profile folder gets created where the Windows OS is installed.

You can try to change the saved location for the applications at the time of installation. However, for the relocation of User profile folders from SSD to HDD is not possible. This might cause few error which may crash Windows.

You can install/save all the third party applications on HDD by changing its saved location at the time of installation. In that way, only Operating files and system files will be present in SSD and the rest you can move to HDD.

Hope it helps.

Rohit Raina

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Rohit_R, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

1. How to move an existing user from HDD to a SSD - Similar Threads - move existing user

2. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  3. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  4. How to move OS from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move OS from HDD to SSD?: Im going to be getting another ssd soon to put windows on and a few games. Is there a way to move windows from my hard drive to this ssd? submitted by /u/RBM2123456 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ic3iap/how_to_move_os_from_hdd_to_ssd/
  5. How to move from HDD to SSD with clean install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move from HDD to SSD with clean install?: I have a SSD on way that I will be using to run Windows and some apps. I will do a clean install of Windows on SSD. Will I need to format the old HDD? I want to retain my files that are not stored in C drive. submitted by /u/iamharshkumar97 [link] [comments]...
  6. Moving User folder from SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving User folder from SSD to HDD: Hi, I'm trying to move my User folder from the SSD to the HDD but when I open the folder properties to do it, the "location" tab isn't present. Is there an easy fix for this? TIA...
  7. Move data from ssd to hdd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move data from ssd to hdd?: I built my pc yesterday, installed everything and my 250gb ssd is already full. How can I move my files from the ssd to the hdd? Thanks a lot! Daten von ssd auf hdd verschieben?
  8. How to move window from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move window from HDD to SSD: How to move window from HDD to SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-window-from-hdd-to-ssd/e943886a-a104-4826-95b3-1ccda93b1107
  9. Moving from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...
  10. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...