Windows 10: How to move and group tiles on windows 10 start menu?

Discus and support How to move and group tiles on windows 10 start menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I would like to add web links and apps in an easy-to-find section of the start like I had on the windows 7 desktop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bradley2, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Bradley2 Win User

How to move and group tiles on windows 10 start menu?

I would like to add web links and apps in an easy-to-find section of the start like I had on the windows 7 desktop.

:)

Bradley2, Sep 24, 2018

2. Creating a new tiles group in windows 10

Hi everyone,

I was trying to figure out how to do this, and I ran into the same grief.

So, now that I know how to do it, I thought I'd post what works for me.

When you open the Start Menu, you have two large, vertical sections.

• On the left, a list of your "Most used" programs.
    • On the right, your groups of Tiles ... and the location we want to create a new group.

The first tile group in this list is probably titled "Life at a glance."
    A few basic things to know

• Both of these two lists in the Start Menu are vertically scrollable.
    • Each tile group is separated so that each one falls below the next.
    • The title for each group is left-aligned in the space between tile groups.
    • If you hover your mouse pointer over the space between tile groups (or over a group's title), you'll see a little menu icon appear to the right of the title (right-aligned). It looks like two horizontal lines. In mobile webpages, it's often referred to
      as a mobile menu or hamburger menu. It's not a menu here. I don't know what Microsoft calls it, so I'm going to call it a Grab Handle (it'll make sense shortly).
    • Your existing Tile groups are all stacked one above the other on the right side,
      but there's always one group hidden at the very bottom of the list. If you scroll down and look, you'll see an empty space at the bottom of your tiles list that's larger than the space between your existing
      tile groups.

Let's call this the "New Tile Group space."
    • The Start Menu creates a new group when you drag an icon into the "New Tile Group space."

It doesn't matter if the icon comes from the left list of "Most used" programs or from somewhere else in the Tiles list. Simply drag it down there, and voila! A new tile group.
    If you click on the space between tile groups, of if you click on a "Grab Handle," you can add or edit the name for the tile group immediately below it, including your new group.

If you want to change the placement of any tiles, simply drag them to where you want them.

If you want to change the order of your tile groups, simply grab the "Grab Handle," and drag the group up or down to where you want it to sit in the tiles list.

A suggestion...

If you're going to create a new group by dragging an icon from the left "Most used" list, I'd suggest scrolling the tiles list (on the right) to the very bottom first. You'll have that "New Tile Group space" immediately accessible to drop your icon onto
    -- without having to mess with trying to make the list auto scroll while dragging.

That's it.

I get the whole desire to cater to mobile and finger navigation, but wouldn't also having an option button or link make a whole lot of sense?

DistinctlyMe, Sep 24, 2018
  3. Start menu tile groups -- On one pc only first two groups show up

I have upgraded three computers to Windows 10. On the first two, the start menu shows app tiles in three groups. The first group has calendar, email, edge browser, etc. The second has games, news and entertainment.

The third group appears to have a tile for every application and program that is installed. However, the third computer only shows the first two groups of tiles.

Also, I don't know if this is related: When I type the name of an application, usually the system quickly infers which application I mean. But the third computer does not know about "Word" not "Office Word". For Word, it only suggests Wordpad. It does know
    about "winword", though.

Also, the start menu has a list of recently used applications. Most applications in this list also have an associated list of recent documents. But the third computer never remembers that I have recently used Microsoft Office 2007 Word, and never offers a list
    of recently opened/saved documents.

How can I make the third computer behave like the first two?

KillyKeidy, Sep 24, 2018
  4. Agrippa Win User

How to group tiles

I can move items from the Start list to produce tiles and I can enter names in the name bars but I am finding it impossible to group tiles. One of the tutorials seems to suggest that all you need to do is move one tile on top of another to group them, but all that happens for me is that I end up with one tile chasing a second tile around the screen! So, what exactly am I doing wrong?

Agrippa, Sep 24, 2018
Thema:

1. How to move and group tiles on windows 10 start menu? - Similar Threads - move group tiles

2. Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own: Every now and then I open my start menu and folders such as the ones labeled I, W and V below have moved far below where I put them. Sometimes they end up overlapping. I wondered if I just somehow moved them by accident I'm pretty sure I didn't and other strange things happen...
  3. Cannot move random start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move random start menu tiles: I have certain start menu tiles, regardless of size, that can be displaced by other tiles, but if you try to move them anywhere on their own, they just snap back into their original position. This condition has existed for me I would say years now. As in the past, the only...
  4. Windows 10 Tile Start menu crashes after trying to move tiles.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Tile Start menu crashes after trying to move tiles.: Hi, recently i did a fresh windows install and i noticed when trying to move the tiles in the start menu it misbehaves and crashes instantly, i updated my integrated graphics drivers and rebooted my computer but everytime i try to move or change tiles to another group the...
  5. How to unpin a group of Tiles or Folders from Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    How to unpin a group of Tiles or Folders from Windows 10 Start Menu: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Pinning several tiles in Windows 10 is super easy, and the same can be said for unpinning tiles one-by-one. However, what if you’re the type of person with several tiles that you would prefer to get rid of with just [...] This post How to unpin a group of...
  6. Cannot move start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move the tiles on the start menu. As soon as I try to click and drag one it immediately disapears, only to reappear in the original location when I reboot. Everything else seems to work with them, I can pin new apps (although I haven't worked out how to get them in...
  7. How do I move tiles in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I move tiles in the start menu?: Drag and drop doesn't do anything, the tile just disappears an reappears when I release the mouse. 21577
  8. Cannot move start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move/rearrange start menu tiles. when I click to select a tile, it immediately opens the application and closes the menu. I am running Win 10 v1703 93199
  9. Anyway to delete the start menu empty tile groups?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyway to delete the start menu empty tile groups?: There is alot of empty space to the right of my start group and I can't seem to resize it or delete it, the only way I can interact with that area is if I drag something in it and only can I rename the group. Heres a pick I found online if no one understands what I mean...
  10. Moving tiles to start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving tiles to start menu: Is it possible to move a tile to the taskbar or the start menu. 27437

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to move a group of tiles in windows 10

2. move group on start menu

3. how to move tiles on 10

4. windows 10 cannot drag start menu tiles,
  5. move tile from start to desktop windows 10,
  6. move a group of tiles,
  7. windows desktop menu tiles