Windows 10: how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

Discus and support how to move C drive from SSD to HDD? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by dislab, May 19, 2022.

1. dislab Win User

how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without re-installing Windows 10? If it is hard to do that, I have a larger SSD 240G. How can I move my C drive to the larger SSD? Thanks!

:)

dislab, May 19, 2022

2. Windows 10 on HDD to a new SSD

I have recently replaced the 500 GB HDD in my laptop running Windows 10 with a 480 GB SSD. The laptop was fully configured with my applications and other settings. The steps I took were as follows:

1) Shrink the C: drive so it was significantly smaller than the SSD (by at least 100 GB) using the Disk Management tools in W10.

2) Copy all the files from D: onto an external HDD.

3) Download Ubuntu Linux and burn on to a DVD.

4) Download Windows 10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and burn this on to a DVD.

5) Close down and boot the laptop from the Ubuntu DVD from step 3 (I used a USB DVD rewriter).

6) Plug in the external HDD.

7) Open a Linux terminal and cd to the external HDD.

8) Copy the C: partition to the external HDD using a command such as:

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/sda1 of=C-drive

where sda1 is adjusted to point to the correct partition.

9) Close down and remove the external HDD.

10) Remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.

11) Perform a clean install Windows 10 from the DVD from step 4. Deleting all partitions from the SSD if it has had any created on it. When it asked for the product key, there was an option to enter it later. Make sure that the C: drive that is created is
    the same size or bigger than the C: drive was on the HDD.

12) Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 then run the command

dd bs=1024k if=C-drive of=/dev/sda4

With the clean install of W10 64bit, sda4 was the C: drive on the SSD after the installation.

13) Reboot from the SSD. The first couple of times my laptop reported errors and went into repair and diagnostic cycles. The last one said something like Reboot or Go to further tools. I cannot remember the exact messages but the meaning was as I have described.
    I rebooted and Windows 10 came up and ran perfectly.

14) With the SSD working I shrank the C: drive a few GB to make sure the physical space was the same size as the actual filesystem.

15) Create a D: format it and copy all the saved files on to the new D: from the external HDD.

Job done. All my applications worked perfectly and the laptop connected to my wireless network without needing the pass phrase re-entering. I had tried several other ways of cloning the HDD to the SSD, but as the SSD was 20 GB smaller this was the only way
    I managed to get it to work.

I hope this helps others to make the HDD to SSD transition.

Grangeland, May 19, 2022
  3. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, May 19, 2022
  4. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

Confused about hard drives: HDD and SSD

Browsing through the Microsoft Store for a new pc, I see various hard drives listed, such as:

16GB eMMC

32GB eMMC

500GB 5400 RPM HDD

2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz

32GB SSD [?]

64GB SSD

I understand that solid state drives are good, though expensive. What I don't understand is what size of an SSD would be the equivalent of, say, a terabyte HD? It seems that 64GB is the largest SSD offered here. What size HDD would equal that capacity?

And, BTW, what is an eMMC?

Grandpa Jim, May 19, 2022
Thema:

how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

1. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD? - Similar Threads - move drive SSD

2. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  3. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  4. Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive: 21H1 Built 19043.1110 I have a Dell Inspiron 3580 that comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Toshiba hard drive. After trying to install a duel boot with Win 10 Pro and Linux I see in Disk Management that Windows (C:) is on the 1 TB drive. I can only boot into Win 10 and every...
  5. Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive: 21H1 Built 19043.1110 I have a Dell Inspiron 3580 that comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Toshiba hard drive. After trying to install a duel boot with Win 10 Pro and Linux I see in Disk Management that Windows (C:) is on the 1 TB drive. I can only boot into Win 10 and every...
  6. Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd): [ATTACH] So i have an ssd with 447gb and a hdd with 595gb as shown below: https://preview.redd.it/z58f5igsmgs51.png?width=895&format=png&auto=webp&s=d648dbd5c143f4dd5909c761054dadddde1397e7 I want to move some files into hdd to have more space. But I've heard that it...
  7. Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.: I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended: [ATTACH] They stayed on drive C, but they did show up here on D: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] How do I open these in D, delete the ones in C, but still have icons on the...
  8. Moving from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...
  9. How do I move 'Users" folder from C (SSD) to F (HDD) drive?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I move 'Users" folder from C (SSD) to F (HDD) drive?: New PC. Pictures and Videos will take up a lot of space. SSD has 250GB HDD has 1TB. I want to permanently move the "users" file to F drive. How do I do it? Thanks for any ideas. 125521
  10. How do I move 'Users" folder from C (SSD) to F (HDD) drive?

How do I move 'Users" folder from C (SSD) to F (HDD) drive?: New PC. Pictures and Videos will take up a lot of space. SSD has 250GB HDD has 1TB. I want to permanently move the "users" file to F drive. How do I do it? Thanks for any ideas. 125521