Windows 10: How to move/copy/clone 'System Reserved' partition to another drive

Discus and support How to move/copy/clone 'System Reserved' partition to another drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed windows on an ssd but I had another hdd installed at the same time so the 'System Reserved' partition is in the hdd. This is a problem now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IamMe22, Mar 14, 2021.

1. IamMe22 Win User

How to move/copy/clone 'System Reserved' partition to another drive

I installed windows on an ssd but I had another hdd installed at the same time so the 'System Reserved' partition is in the hdd. This is a problem now because I have to replace the hdd so I was wondering if there was a way to either move or copy or clone the "System Reserved' partition on 'disk 1' to 'disk 2', or, if it would be easier, to make a new one. I already have a windows install media USB created but I wasn't sure if the repair option would mess with my current Windows install or the files on the drive at the moment. I am using Windows 10 currently.

I have attached a picture of my disk management to show the problem.

How to move/copy/clone 'System Reserved' partition to another drive 2fffeca5-d376-4826-9280-33ac154c69cd?upload=true.png

:)

IamMe22, Mar 14, 2021
  2. Darkmind Win User

partition cloning help!

Well I just bought a SATA seagate 320gb 7200.10 hard drive. I had to get a power adapter, but anyway. It's in as Drive F (did disk management). Now all I want to do is clone the partition from my old hard drive to my new hard drive. Copy windows and everything else over on my new hard drive, take out my old drive and then use the new drive as the primary C drive. I have norton ghost, and partition magic. I heard ghost is much better. Could someone tell me step by step how to accomplish this? I think I know how, but I do NOT wanna take any chances here..

Darkmind, Mar 14, 2021
  3. poolmon Win User
    Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

Thanks for all the info guys.

Both original & target SSD's are listed as MBR as opposed to UEFI. I may have created a partition unknowingly in getting the original/new unformatted drive recognized, but I don't recall taking any steps that Windows did not step me through.

Not that an upgrade to WIN 10 Pro is contemplated, but I suspect that having no System Reserved partition will not allow that to happen, after seeing how the original WIN 10 upgrade created a problem for some WIN 7 users that had a smaller 100mb vs 500mb System Reserved partition.

poolmon, Mar 14, 2021
  4. hzelizer Win User

System Reserve Partition Size Problem During Windows 10 Upgrade

I recently had a Widows 10 Insiders Preview update fail with We couldn't update the system reserved partition.
    This was the first time after many successful updates. It was hard to find a clear cut solution to the problem. In my case, there was no partition named "System Reserved Partition", so I kept looking for ways to create/recreate this partition. It was
    a red herring, the system reserved partition on my PC is "EFI System Partition".

After many web searches and a review of anything that might have changed on my PC I identified the problem. It turned out that there was insufficient free space in the system reserved partition to allow Windows to perform the update. Since the allocated
    size of the partition was the default 100mb and hadn't been modified, I checked to see what files and directories the partition contained.

It turned out that in addition to the expected "EFI" directory, there was an additional directory named "echoboot" that was apparently installed by the cloning software I used to move to a larger hard drive. This extra directory used up enough space in
    the reserved partition to cause the update failure. I tried removing the cloning software, but it didn't delete the partition. So I had to remove it manually.

These are the steps I used to correct the problem and are only applicable if a user installed disk utility (i.e. cloning, partitioning, backup software) created additional items in the system reserved partition. Before proceeding, try uninstalling any disk
    utilities you may have added, reboot the PC, and retry the failed update.

This procedure may leave your computer in an unbootable state, proceed with caution

Step 1

Open a command window as administrator. In Cortana search box enter the text "command prompt", right-click on the result "Command Prompt Desktop app" and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.

Step 2

Use the mountvol command to mount the system reserved partition so you can work with it. The syntax is 'mountvol
    unused drive letter: /S, where unused drive letter is any drive letter not currently in use. For example, if the drive letter Q is available (unused) you would enter
    mountvol Q: /S in the command window.

Step 3

Use the dir command to see what directories exist in the system reserved partition. Using the drive letter you assigned in the previous step, enter
    dir Q:\ and examine the directory listing that appears. Look for a directory that is related to a user installed disk utility (in my case, echoboot added by the NTI Echo 3 disk cloning utility).

Step 4

Remove the directory identified in the previous step using the rmdir command. The syntax is
    rmdir assigned drive letter:\directory
    /s, where assigned drive letter is the drive letter assigned in Step 2 and
    directory is the name of the directory related to the user installed disk utility identified in Step 3. Executing this command will remove the directory and its contents. The command, in my case, was
    rmdir Q:\echoboot /s

Step 5

Dismount the System Reserved Volume using the mountvol command. The syntax is mountvol assigned drive letter: /D
    where assigned drive letteris the drive letter assigned in Step 2. Again, if Q was the drive letter assigned in Step2, the command would be
    mountvol Q: /D

I hope this helps.

hzelizer, Mar 14, 2021
Thema:

1. How to move/copy/clone 'System Reserved' partition to another drive - Similar Threads - move copy clone

2. How to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R: Hi,I wonder if it is possible to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R.Any help in this regard will be appreciated.My question is particularly for DVD-R not Hard Drive or USB.Thank you...
  3. How to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R: Hi,I wonder if it is possible to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R.Any help in this regard will be appreciated.My question is particularly for DVD-R not Hard Drive or USB.Thank you...
  4. How to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is it possible to migrate System Reserved partition to another drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to migrate System Reserved partition to another drive?: So my issue is that Windows 10 won't boot unless I have a secondary drive connected to my PC, which has the System Reserved partition for some reason. Windows is on my C drive, the G drive has this partition that's needed. Apparently this happens if you install Windows 10 and...
  6. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  7. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  8. How to move System Reserved Partition to the Top

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move System Reserved Partition to the Top: Hello guys, Thanks for helping me !! I have some unallocated space in between the partitions which I want to combine. But the 16mb Microsoft reserved partition is coming between it and I read that I should not touch the reserved partition which can and will cause all...
  9. How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?: Years ago, I bought a second hand PC with a small HDD. I formatted it and set a small 60gb as drive Cto install windows. I got a bigger HDD recently and clone the old HDD to the new one. Now I realize that 60GB is too damn small for Windows. The HDD has two partition, C and...
  10. Moving System Reserved partition to a different drive | [image]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving System Reserved partition to a different drive | [image]: I currently have one drive that contains a System Reserved partition (which includes the boot files). The status is System, Active, Primary Partition. I have another drive with the C: partition. The status is Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. move system reserved