Windows 10: How to Move Desktop Icon to start Menu or create a tile.

Discus and support How to Move Desktop Icon to start Menu or create a tile. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm totally befuddled. I have a program I run from a .exe that is in Programs(X86) file. I can put a shortcut on the Desktop. But the icon does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by cfuglein, May 24, 2016.

1. cfuglein Win User

How to Move Desktop Icon to start Menu or create a tile.

I'm totally befuddled. I have a program I run from a .exe that is in Programs(X86) file. I can put a shortcut on the Desktop. But the icon does not show in All Apps and I cannot figure out a way to a) get in the All Apps, and b) create a tile on the Start page.

It seems to me that you could drag and drop, but that doesn't work. The above is just one issue - I'm trying to move ALL my taskbar items and desktop items to the Windows 10 tiles, and can see no easy way to do it, because I can't drag and drop. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
    Carl

:)

cfuglein, May 24, 2016
  2. JoyceZA Win User

Lost windows cascade icons and tiles

How can I recover my windows cascade icons and tiles on my task bar on desktop?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Start Menu]

JoyceZA, May 24, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Trying to pin 'Microsoft Edge' to taskbar

Hi Alan, drag Edge from your Start menu onto the Desktop

This will create a Desktop Shortcut, but will also leave the Tile on the Start Menu

If you right click the Desktop Icon, can you then choose 'Pin to Taskbar'?

DaveM121, May 24, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Srange.
    Why can't you right click at the exe file in Programs(x86) > Pin to Start or Pin to Taskbar ?

How to Move Desktop Icon to start Menu or create a tile. [​IMG]

davidhk, May 24, 2016
  5. cfuglein Win User
    Well that partially worked. The app showed up on the start page with the tiles (what IS that called anyway, the Start page?). However. it didn't show up under All Apps. How do I get it there?

cfuglein, May 24, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    What is the name of that "app" ?
    It may be under a different name.
    For example, IE11 is under W > Windows Accessories.

davidhk, May 24, 2016
  7. You will likely have to put a shortcut to the files in one of these two locations:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

DeaconFrost, May 24, 2016
  8. cfuglein Win User

Neither one of them works. The shortcuts are in those folders, but do not show up on all apps

cfuglein, May 24, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    I'll repeat my question, in case you did not see my initial question post #4................
    What is the name of the app ?

davidhk, May 25, 2016
  10. extreme Win User
    I don't think you can manually add entries to the "Apps" list, only the start menu with a right click as described above.

The entries in the list are created by Install/Setup programs with an API call.

What you can do manually is described here:

How to Organize and Add Shortcuts to the All Apps List on Windows 10

Actually, this is one of my favorite newsletters!

--Al--

extreme, Aug 13, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    You might be better off using Classic Shell. Configure it so mouse hover opens Classic Shell and mouse click opens Windows Start Menu hen you can choose which to use. Classic Shell allows the very flexible configuration of links and shortcuts you need.

Steve C, Aug 13, 2016
  12. Cliff S New Member
    I have even added my batch files to the apps list*Wink
    • You need to create a desktop shortcut for it first by "send to desktop".
    • Then cut & paste it into C:\Users\UserNameHere\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    • Open start menu and look on the list view, right click the icon(always make my own), and pin to start.
    • I then go to my batch files original location, and a 256x256 .png of my icon, and an XML .VisualElementsManifest to it, and now I have my custom tile for my batch file.

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Move Desktop Icon to start Menu or create a tile. - Similar Threads - Move Desktop Icon

2. Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own: Every now and then I open my start menu and folders such as the ones labeled I, W and V below have moved far below where I put them. Sometimes they end up overlapping. I wondered if I just somehow moved them by accident I'm pretty sure I didn't and other strange things happen...
  3. How to change Start menu tile icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Start menu tile icon: I want to change the Settings tile to the new 10X settings icon. Can you help me with this? submitted by /u/stadiafan37 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpt37v/how_to_change_start_menu_tile_icon/
  4. Cannot move random start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move random start menu tiles: I have certain start menu tiles, regardless of size, that can be displaced by other tiles, but if you try to move them anywhere on their own, they just snap back into their original position. This condition has existed for me I would say years now. As in the past, the only...
  5. Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?

Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?: I have 3 shortcuts to websites... specifically links to Zoom conferences. I have pinned these shortcuts to the start menu as small tiles. I made 3 icons, one for each, in Illustrator, saved as PNG, then ran them through Gimp to save as Icons. Gimp has changed a LOT since I...
  6. How to assign icon to start menu tile.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to assign icon to start menu tile.: I've got an old app from Everett Kaiser called Sherlock. I've got the app pinned to my start menu. The icon is a smoking Calibaster pipe. Recently the app icon changed to what I would describe as a white page. I've tried to unpin from start and repinned from app on c: drive,...
  7. Cannot move start menu tiles

Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move the tiles on the start menu. As soon as I try to click and drag one it immediately disapears, only to reappear in the original location when I reboot. Everything else seems to work with them, I can pin new apps (although I haven't worked out how to get them in...
  8. How do I move tiles in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I move tiles in the start menu?: Drag and drop doesn't do anything, the tile just disappears an reappears when I release the mouse. 21577
  9. Cannot move start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move/rearrange start menu tiles. when I click to select a tile, it immediately opens the application and closes the menu. I am running Win 10 v1703 93199
  10. Moving tiles to start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving tiles to start menu: Is it possible to move a tile to the taskbar or the start menu. 27437

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 move start menu icon to desktop

2. how to move icons from desktop to the start menu

3. how to move icon from desktop to start menu

4. move desktop icon to menu tiles,
  5. how to move desktop icon to start menu,
  6. move desktop to tile