Windows 10: How to move Desktop out of OneDrive folder

Discus and support How to move Desktop out of OneDrive folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't want to use OneDrive (OD) with my W10 (2004) PC because I don't need to access files via other devices and I back up important files to an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kens, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Kens Win User

How to move Desktop out of OneDrive folder

I don't want to use OneDrive (OD) with my W10 (2004) PC because I don't need to access files via other devices and I back up important files to an external hard drive. Also, I don't want to be beholden to Microsoft for monthly fees.

Microsoft keeps sending me email messages saying I have exceeded the free storage capacity in my OD account and threatening to freeze it. I contacted MS support and asked if I simply deleted files out of the OD account, will that also delete them on the PC? He said it would. Seems rather bizarre, but he said something about "policy." Anyway, went on to day that, in order to prevent OD from messing with my data, I should "move" it from the OneDrive folder and save it to a different location. One of the OD folders is "Desktop." I have unlinked OD from my PC, but presume that doesn't resolve the above.

How do I "move" my Desktop? And to where? The C: drive? Thanks much!

:)

Kens, Aug 1, 2020
  2. TarAn_D Win User

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Onedrive move folder to document

Hi Rendell,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What happens when you try to move the folder?
    • From when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to refer the article below and check if that helps.

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder

You can refer to the following work around. This will help you to choose the folders to sync on Onedrive.

• Right click on OneDrive icon of
      System Tray

• Click on Settings, then click on
      choose folders
      tab.

• Click on choose folders option, then click on sync only these folders.

Hope the information helps. Please reply back with a status so that we can assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Aug 1, 2020
  4. How to move Desktop out of OneDrive folder

Move the OneDrive Folder

I want to move my OneDrive folder to a different hard drive. When I follow these steps (unlink the PC from OneDrive, move the folder and set up OneDrive again), I cannot select a different location than the C:\User folder that was previously used. It tells
    me that my administrator requires the OneDrive folder to go there. However, I am administrator of the computer, so I don't really understand what's going on. What should I do please?

Thanks!

JustineSieg, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

How to move Desktop out of OneDrive folder

1. How to move Desktop out of OneDrive folder - Similar Threads - move Desktop OneDrive

2. How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?: Hello,I've asked Onedrive to stop syncingmy desktop and I want me old C:\users...... desktop folder since it is also where the files are stored when I drop something into the desktop.I tried going to properties clicking on Onedrive's desktop folder and changing to default or...
  3. How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?: Hello,I've asked Onedrive to stop syncingmy desktop and I want me old C:\users...... desktop folder since it is also where the files are stored when I drop something into the desktop.I tried going to properties clicking on Onedrive's desktop folder and changing to default or...
  4. how do I move system folders - documents, pictures and desktop out of onedrive folder in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I move system folders - documents, pictures and desktop out of onedrive folder in...: Set up new PC and system folders documents, Pictures, Desktop are in "user"/onedrive folder. How do I move system folders - documents, pictures and desktop out of onedrive up 1 level to "user"Using properties dialog, move, select folder ... won't let me do this...
  5. how do I move system folders - documents, pictures and desktop out of onedrive folder in...

how do I move system folders - documents, pictures and desktop out of onedrive folder in...: Set up new PC and system folders documents, Pictures, Desktop are in "user"/onedrive folder. How do I move system folders - documents, pictures and desktop out of onedrive up 1 level to "user"Using properties dialog, move, select folder ... won't let me do this...
  6. Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive

Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive: Hello,I've been trying to move my documents folder out of my OneDrive I am on my laptop, and I accidentally let it sync everything in my documents folder on my laptop and desktop. I turned off all the backups in the OneDrive app, made sure everything required in the registry...
  7. How to move documents folder out of OneDrive to hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move documents folder out of OneDrive to hard drive?: I discovered this problem because of a game I have. I wanted to add a mod, but when I went to look for the documents folder in "this pc-windows C:- users - [my user]", but the correct one is not there. In [my user] should be a documents file with all my folders/files, but it...
  8. How to move documents folder out of OneDrive to hard drive?

How to move documents folder out of OneDrive to hard drive?: I discovered this problem because of a game I have. I wanted to add a mod, but when I went to look for the documents folder in "this pc-windows C:- users - [my user]", but the correct one is not there. In [my user] should be a documents file with all my folders/files, but it...
  9. Mapping desktop out of OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping desktop out of OneDrive folder: Hello, I am not a fan of automatic cloud backup and wanted to disable all onedrive connectivity. I noted that for windows 11, my desktop was automatically mapped to a onedrive folder. I had already turned off backup options and uninstalled the onedrive app. I followed the...
  10. Mapping desktop out of OneDrive folder

Mapping desktop out of OneDrive folder: Hello, I am not a fan of automatic cloud backup and wanted to disable all onedrive connectivity. I noted that for windows 11, my desktop was automatically mapped to a onedrive folder. I had already turned off backup options and uninstalled the onedrive app. I followed the...