Windows 10: How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS

Discus and support How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I reinstalled a clean copy of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Build 1809) onto an empty partition (320 GB) on a new 1 TB hard drive, leaving the remaining space... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlanW284, Apr 11, 2019.

1. AlanW284 Win User

How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS

I reinstalled a clean copy of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Build 1809) onto an empty partition (320 GB) on a new 1 TB hard drive, leaving the remaining space (611 GB) unallocated. After the installation, I deleted the prior OS partition where the previous Windows 10 was installed on a different 500 GB hard drive. However, the EFI System Partition still exists on the original hard drive and I can't delete it (for obvious reasons), and I want to create a new EFI System Partition using the unallocated space on the new drive. Can that be done without going back to reinstalling Windows again and re-creating all new partitions? Thanks for whatever assistance anyone can provide.

- Alan.

:)

AlanW284, Apr 11, 2019
  2. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Apr 11, 2019
  3. trog100 Win User
    Move EFI partition

i have a dual boot (win 10 and android tablet) it only has a 32 gig system drive with a 16 gig partition for win 10..

the 16 gig is not enough for windows updates.. i dont need or use android so i have deleted all the android partitions.. so far so good i have another 10 gigs of space on the system drive..

i created a new volume which shows up as drive D.. my idea was to merge the two partitions giving me more C drive space for win 10 so as to enable enough upgrade space..

the pic below should show my problem.. i cant merge the two partitions because there is a system EFI file in between them.. *Smile How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS :)

does anyone know how to move the EFI partition.. cos as yet i dont.. he he

How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS move-efi.jpg

google shows me other people wanting to do the same thing but no answers.. or at least none i can make much sense of.. *Smile How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS :)

its a teclast x89 tablet..

trog

trog100, Apr 11, 2019
  4. Dia01 Win User

Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

1. How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS - Similar Threads - move EFI Partition

2. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving win 10 to a new drive: Hi Currently i have my windows and apps / data stored on the c drive as standard installationi am looking to move the OS to a new drive and keep the existing apps, programs, docs emails etc on the existing drive which i guess will need to be assigned a new drive letterWhat is...
  3. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving win 10 to a new drive: Hi Currently i have my windows and apps / data stored on the c drive as standard installationi am looking to move the OS to a new drive and keep the existing apps, programs, docs emails etc on the existing drive which i guess will need to be assigned a new drive letterWhat is...
  4. Moving win 10 to a new drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.: I have a Windows installation with three drivesC:\ windows 10 installationE:\ stuffD:\ contains the EFI boot partition + stuffFor what ever reason, when i installed Windows with a two disk setup, the core installation was installed on C:\ and the EFI partition was installed...
  6. Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.: I have a Windows installation with three drivesC:\ windows 10 installationE:\ stuffD:\ contains the EFI boot partition + stuffFor what ever reason, when i installed Windows with a two disk setup, the core installation was installed on C:\ and the EFI partition was installed...
  7. Move Windows EFI boot partition to another drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Can I move an EFI partition that's on the wrong drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I move an EFI partition that's on the wrong drive?: Hello, Recently I built my new computer with an M.2 SSD (for Windows), a SATA SSD (for games) and a normal normal hard drive for general files. After installing Windows 10 20H2 I noticed that the M.2 SSD (with the boot and recovery partition) disappeared from the "boot...
  9. How to move Windows' EFI partition to its own drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move Windows' EFI partition to its own drive: Hi! I have a PC on which I've installed Linux on one SSD and then Windows 10 on another SSD. Removing the Linux SSD before installing Windows 10 would have required to disassemble the whole PC, because it's an M.2 drive on the backside of my motherboard. And the BIOS...
  10. Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Reformatting Old OS Drive Partition: Just cloned Windows 10 system disk from 230 Gb SSD to 900 Gb SSD using Acronis. New system drive works fine. Trying to remove the OS partition from old OS drive and get "OS (E*Smile Simple Volume is currently in use" and statement regarding forced deletion may affect...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which efi is active old hdd or ssd

2. old efi partition on storage drive

3. how to copy efi partition to new harddrive

4. efi system partition and os on different drives,
  5. how to move os and efi partition to second drive,
  6. windows 10 move efi partition,
  7. how to move efi